Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Some criticisms, but they seem to fall more on the university than the individual officer.

Quote:
But Tech PD, which still has strong support from many students, is now facing questions about training and equipment. Specifically: Why aren’t the university’s officers required to complete crisis management instruction ? And why aren’t they provided more nonlethal options, such as Tasers, when faced with a belligerent suspect?

Both could’ve led to a much different outcome for Beck and Schultz, experts say.

“The school failed the officer in training and equipment,” said retired police officer Marvin Reddick, a 25-year veteran of law enforcement and a Tech policeman from 2005 to 2010.

“Some universities are reluctant to fully equip their police forces,” said Sue Riseling, executive director of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators and former police chief at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. “Their judgment on that matter should get some reconsideration.”

Campus police may not have M16 rifles like Atlanta police but such lethal force is generally unnecessary. Their job is often to keep the peace but they are more likely to be called on to subdue a fraternity brother who’s had too much to drink or calm a stressed-out student threatening to harm him or her self.

“Communication skills are particularly important at universities,” Riseling said. “Disturbance calls are unique to campus police” —most revolve around emotionally distraught or disturbed students, excessive drinking, thefts and sexual assaults.

“We train for everything, but in reality maybe one percent of our calls are of the active shooter variety,” she said. “De-escalaton and good negotiation skills are crucial for a campus officer.”

More....Tech shooting shines spotlight on campus police - Lack of Tasers, mental health training faulted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:00 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Seems reasonable. If the goal were to shift from an establishment of order as soon as possible to an emphasis on nonviolent diffusion of a situation when possible, I think more of these situations might conclude without loss of life.

In addition, Tech, as we know, is a high-stress environment, and it is not too hard for students in such an environment to have their minds go to dark places. I hope that this tragedy can raise awareness among the student body, administration, their law enforcement, and metro Atlanta itself.

And then there's the volatile issue of gender. Genderqueer people are far more prone to suicidal tendencies than the rest of us are, and I think we owe it to them to listen to them as to why.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
And then there's the volatile issue of gender. Genderqueer people are far more prone to suicidal tendencies than the rest of us are, and I think we owe it to them to listen to them as to why.
If I had to guess it's not because they are messed up but because they encounter so much flak.

However, as I understand it, Tech gets two or three suicides a year, and probably has a lot more people who are thinking about it. Most of them probably don't have gender issues.

So whatever the problem is, the trick is to find ways of defusing these situations without the use of lethal force. Apparently these experts seem to think that training the officers would make a difference.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I had to guess it's not because they are messed up but because they encounter so much flak.

However, as I understand it, Tech gets two or three suicides a year, and probably has a lot more people who are thinking about it. Most of them probably don't have gender issues.

So whatever the problem is, the trick is to find ways of defusing these situations without the use of lethal force. Apparently these experts seem to think that training the officers would make a difference.
Better training needs to be part of the package but not the whole package. And students who are dealing with tough issues need to know that there is help available and that it is perfectly fine to ask for that help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: