Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times

Advertisements

With national trends of transit usage going down; due to teleworking, ride hailing, etc. MARTA has shown a 1.5% increase in the 6 months since the I-85 bridge collapse.
Quote:
MARTA’s numbers show that during the three months after the reopening of I-85, the system’s rail line saw an average of 5,571,000 riders a month, a .7 percent over the months before the collapse.

Overall, MARTA ridership is up 1.5 percent

A MARTA spokesperson says the agency is pleased with any increase.

“Why do you think the increase isn’t more?” asked Commuter Dude Jerry Carnes.

“People love their cars,” answered MARTA’s Erik Burton.

Burton points to reports that show public transit ridership is down nationwide.

“We consider it a win here,” says Burton. “While the national trend is going down, we’re at least staying steady or going up.”

MARTA says it took advantage of the increased ridership during the bridge collapse with added trains, buses, and discounts.
11alive.com | Commuter Dude: MARTA ridership up slightly six months after I-85 rebuild
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,949,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
With national trends of transit usage going down; due to teleworking, ride hailing, etc. MARTA has shown a 1.5% increase in the 6 months since the I-85 bridge collapse.

11alive.com | Commuter Dude: MARTA ridership up slightly six months after I-85 rebuild
etc.-employment is up so people can afford to buy a car and quit relying on transit.

That's the biggest reason people drop.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
cq, has there been a more recent breakdown in MARTA's choice vs. captive riders?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM

11,856 posts, read 8,084,115 times
I just wish MARTA could expand to the suburbs.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:05 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,028,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I just wish MARTA could expand to the suburbs.
So does MARTA.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:07 PM

7,364 posts, read 6,548,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
cq, has there been a more recent breakdown in MARTA's choice vs. captive riders?
How would you determine that?

Old 10-17-2017, 03:30 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
How would you determine that?
I guess they do surveys and such.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:25 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,797,183 times
We should be careful....

Some of this is month-to-month statistical noise and seasonal adjustments be comparing singular months at different times.

You can also see similar articles like this ... Parker: MARTA poised for a ridership spike | Spinning our Wheels ... from the same data. That shows a 2 percent decrease just a few months earlier too.

I think the narrative is correct that I-85 closure drove an increase in usage and there is a small lasting benefit to this in the long-term, but overall ridership had already been trending down and likely still is. It isn't MARTA's fault, it is a national trend to lower gas prices, a better economy, and rising wages. MARTA just isn't immune to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not sure if there is anything more recent, but the ARC did a really large survey of the area's transit users on a scale not done too frequently years back... maybe 5 or 6 years.

It seems like more factoids use to exist after that report.

In MARTA's 2014 annual report they had these tidbits: (https://www.itsmarta.com/pdfs/MARTA-...Report2014.pdf)

Approx. 75,000 people were using MARTA to commute to work. Of those 45,000 did so because they did not have other alternative means of transport.

They claimed 34% of riders used the service for convenience and 60% of all riders were using it to get to work.

What I found particularly interesting is that 2.6% of riders were bus only. 25.7% were rail only. 71.8% were bus & rail riders. Those 71.8% would increase the unlinked trips total count. I was a bit surprised that the bus-only numbers were so low. Maybe it is time to re-think how we use our bus routes, beyond being circulators to get people to the rail stations alone. I knew many and most people used it to get to the rail, but I was still surprised it was that low.

That might have something to do with the anti-bus stigma we have in our region. The buses don't get you where you're going, rather it is a slower way to get to the rail station that will get you where you're going.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:40 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,265,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That might have something to do with the anti-bus stigma we have in our region. The buses don't get you where you're going, rather it is a slower way to get to the rail station that will get you where you're going.
This is the frustrating thing about the bus routes on Moreland Avenue; they all start and stop at the Inman Park/Reynoldstown MARTA station. So I can't get on at the bus stop in my neighborhood, near my house, and go north to Little 5 Points or Poncey-Highland, I have to ride a bus (or walk the extra distance) to the MARTA station and then catch a bus from there. It's so inefficient I just don't bother.

The other thing is that waiting at a bus stop in most places in Atlanta means waiting in the dirt and mud on the side of the road with no shelter. Even where MARTA has shelters, they are tiny and almost pointless. If we had some routes with fewer stops, but clearly marked shelters, with breeze card machines so folks could buy their fares before boarding, and with electronic signage to show when the next buses are arriving, I guarantee you that anti-bus stigma would start to evaporate.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,915,624 times
Quote:
Maybe it is time to re-think how we use our bus routes, beyond being circulators to get people to the rail stations alone. I knew many and most people used it to get to the rail, but I was still surprised it was that low.
Overhauling our bus system, all at once like Houston, would help and hopefully the system would see the same kind of increase that Houston saw. Houston overhauled their bus network saw increases afterwards.
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/08/...dership-is-up/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: