Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 PM

15 posts, read 19,268 times

Advertisements

We are coming from Houston Suburbs, and I feel most of them still feel very “city”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:17 AM

4 posts, read 2,976 times
Hiram is perfect. It’s in Paulding county close to the powder springs cobb county line. It has that small town feel with an up an coming vibe but still small town. but it’s relatively close to the city. Far less crime then any of the surrounding suburbs. Not saying they are crime filled but in Hiram much less...

Old 10-22-2017, 08:05 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug87 View Post
We are coming from Houston Suburbs, and I feel most of them still feel very “city”
Gotcha. I'm actually in Houston right now. Is there an area in Houston that you like? There may be something something comparable in Atlanta.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 AM

288 posts, read 959,167 times
Man I was out helping a friend of my sister's a couple weeks back move some furniture and was right around the corner from downtown Covington, love that town square! Of course that is way out in the middle of nowhere but it sure has such a great feel to it and the movie history as well!

Old 10-22-2017, 01:32 PM

15 posts, read 19,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Gotcha. I'm actually in Houston right now. Is there an area in Houston that you like? There may be something something comparable in Atlanta.

Right now we are in Tombal. It’s pretty decent

Old 10-22-2017, 03:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug87 View Post
Right now we are in Tombal. It’s pretty decent
If you are looking for a community in the Atlanta area like Tomball outside of Houston, you should probably focus in on a community like Hiram, like Gv1992 suggested.

The Hiram area of Paulding County (along with neighboring Dallas) is the type of outer-suburban area with a country feel that you seem to be looking for.

The Hiram/Dallas area of Paulding County also features the type of housing prices (in the low-200's) and one-hour or less one-way commutes that you stated a desire to stay within on the other thread.

Douglas County would also be a good place for you to look because of the good quality of the schools there in the Douglas County, Chapel Hill and Alexander school clusters.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I had a friend who lived in Hiram because he got a great deal on a foreclosed house there.

He said people still fly the Confederate flag in Hiram.

He sold and moved out.

I've never been to Hiram. He said it was too redneck for him.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:04 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I had a friend who lived in Hiram because he got a great deal on a foreclosed house there.

He said people still fly the Confederate flag in Hiram.

He sold and moved out.

I've never been to Hiram. He said it was too redneck for him.
That is a good point that some people may still fly the Confederate flag in an outlying area like Hiram and Paulding County... But this is Georgia, a state that (along with other Southeastern states like Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi) was a focal point for the Confederate States of America. The display of Confederate flags and statutes is not all that uncommon in many outlying far-outer suburban, exurban and rural parts of Georgia and the Southeastern U.S. outside of the I-285 Perimeter. If one travels in Georgia or the Southeast outside of the I-285 on a consistent basis, one is going to see Confederate battle flags from time-to-time, that is just something that comes with living in the Southeast. The flags are not everywhere but you will see them.

But with some people continuing to display the Confederate flag in an outlying outer-suburban area like Hiram and Paulding County, the fact is that an area like Hiram and Paulding County has changed and evolved as the area has experienced the growth in population and development that has come with being in relatively very close proximity to a dynamic large major metropolitan area like Atlanta.

Paulding County has evolved to the point where racial and ethnic minorities now make up about 28% of the county's overall population... That's up from 1990 when racial and ethnic minorities only made up 5% of the population.

Hiram in particular is the site of a 'majority-minority' high school at Hiram High School where racial and ethnic minorities make up about 52% of the student body at current.

The statistics seem to indicate that the Hiram area (along with Paulding County as a whole) is noticeably continuing to evolve from where it might have been in the past even with continued displays of the Confederate battle flag by some (not all) residents.

Neighboring Douglas County is even more diverse. Douglas County (which straddles I-20 west of Atlanta) is an outer-suburban community where racial and ethnic minorities now are estimated to make up about 58% of the county's population... That is a sea change from 1990 when racial and ethnic minorities were not even 10% of Douglas County's population.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:20 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Contributing..

Just about EVERYTHING everyone said on the first page are NOT small town rural communities but infact well developed suburbs.. I am under the impression you are looking for a secluded community with light to moderate traffic, rural atompshere, maybe two - three grocery store plaza's at best and a place where everyone know's each other in the entire community... Thats almost non-existent around the metro area anymore..most of the suburbs have exploded and we're facing a mass-transit and commuting crisis..

From the first page I can absolutely tell you.. Roswell is NOT a small town and you will be filled with absolute regret if you try to move there expecting a small town rural feeling with light traffic.. it will be absolute cultural shock and the traffic there is outrageous.

Suwanee is alot not a small town, although isn't as dense as Roswell, you will need to go North of Buford, North of Cumming, North of Woodstock, West of Douglassville, East of Covington, South of McDonough or Fayetteville to get what you are looking for... and MAYBE Fairburn and Newnan is considerable. .. otherwise.. if you're looking for a community where everyone knows eachother's.. you're going to be a decent hike away from Atlanta.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
If one travels in Georgia or the Southeast outside of the I-285 on a consistent basis
I usually agree with your posts, but I'm gong to take issue with this.

If you stick to the triangle between I-75 and I-85, you don't just start seeing Confederate flags when you venture outside I-285. You have to go REALLY far outside of it, I would say at least 20 miles, before you're going to see your first stars and bars. This may not be true other directions outside I-285, but on the educated north side, things were de-redencked back in the 70s and 80s, and you've got to travel a distance to find it.

Having said that, I know Forsyth county was horribly racist really not very long ago, and today you won't see a Confederate flag in most parts of South Forsyth (I've never seen one).

Growing up in Alabama, I accepted the Confederate flag as going with the territory of living in the South. Now I see it as a literal red flag that marks an area I wouldn't want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta