Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM

69 posts, read 206,739 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm wondering about these two areas. My husband is being transferred and was told by the company these two areas have great schools, low crime, etc. Can somebody else tell me?? I'm so nervous. We have 2 kids, ages 7 and 13. Please help.

Thank you

We were orginally thinking Peachtree City until everybody told me just how far my husband would be driving. His office is in Norcross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad1974 View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering about these two areas. My husband is being transferred and was told by the company these two areas have great schools, low crime, etc. Can somebody else tell me?? I'm so nervous. We have 2 kids, ages 7 and 13. Please help.

Thank you

We were orginally thinking Peachtree City until everybody told me just how far my husband would be driving. His office is in Norcross.
I think Cumming and Suwanee would be great areas for your family. Lake Lanier is located in this area and Gwinnett county has done a great job of creating green space and recreation areas for sports.

Here is a recent thread on Cumming>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...umming-ga.html

There are many threads on Suwanee. If your realtor selects particular subdivisions you may want to post specific questions to avoid an overload of information.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
Still not a very convenient location for your husband to have to drive to Norcross. I would estimate that's a 45 minute commute depending upon where you're looking and where exactly his office is.

I would suggest that you concentrate a search in the zip code 30092 first and outward from there. I can't remember your budget, but Peachtree Corners is a nice area, as is the North Fulton area directly adjacent to Norcross. I would certainly check all possibilities in those areas before venturing so far north to Cumming. Please don't underestimate traffic in Atlanta; it is a very serious issue. You really don't want your husband to have to spend 2 hours per day in traffic if you can avoid it.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Be careful- there's Forsyth, GA the town, and Forsyth County, GA, the county in which Cumming is located. Forsyth, the town, is about an hour south of Atlanta.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 AM

69 posts, read 206,739 times
Thank you for your advice. It's Forsyth County GA. Looking on Mapquest it's North of Atlanta. He will need to travel to Norcross about 2 days a week, most of the time he's traveling .

So how is that area with schools,crime,people,activities? Thanks!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
The area and the schools are generally very good. Crime is minimal. Forsyth County was ranked as the 20th most affluent counties in the US based on income.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest..._United_States

As far as traffic goes, GA400 can be a real bear, and it's the major north/south artery out of Forsyth County when you need to go south to downtown or areas around I-285. However, to get to Norcross you would probably take other routes, and some may not be that bad.

The key in Atlanta is that you have to investigate the route you would take and take it at various times of day and on various days to see how the traffic can be. Many on this forum discuss "Atlanta traffic" as if it's monolithic, and it's not. Some routes at certain times can be miserable, but others are fine even during the height of rush hour. I travel on certain days from my home in West Cobb to Alpharetta, which is probably further than Cumming to Norcross, and I hit almost no traffic during rush hour.

It all depends on your tolerance for commuting. I was used to 1 to 2 hour commutes each way in the northeast, in much heavier traffic. Here, a 45 min drive with little traffic is a breeze for me. To others, anything more than 10 min from home is intolerable, and they've never seen real traffic. It's all relative. Come visit and see for yourself.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

33 posts, read 51,094 times
My family and I just moved from Canton Ga because of my husbands job. We lived there for 11 years and I am so homesick. You will love that area, check out Cherokee County its not to far from Cumming. It has some of best schools in the area, my kids went to Holly Springs Elementary and it is fed to the best middle and high school in the area. You also have Avery Elementary in that area as well. Very affordable housing with larger lots. If you have any questions dont hesitate to contact me. Great area for youth sports especially baseball and football.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
How many times can you ask the same basic question- and not get an answer to your liking?
Oh, it's Cumming, GA. Not C-u-m-m-i-n-g-s.

Your budget still <290k?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 PM

31 posts, read 180,249 times
Cumming is a great place to live and the commute to Norcross is easy! My husband works in Norcross 5 days a week and it rarely if ever takes him more than 30 mins to get to and from work (and that's during rush hour (7am and 5pm).

We also have two kids and are very familiar with the schools around here. Forsyth County has some of the best schools in this area. Here is a website you may want to use when doing your research.

Georgia State Districts - GA School District Rankings

Georgia State Elementary Schools - GA School Rankings

Beyond just having good schools Cumming offers a great lifestyle. We have an excellent parks and recreation department with many great programs for kids and adults.

I would try to stay in South Forsyth since you husband will be working in Norcross and this will make his commute easier. Plus you will have every convenience you need in South Forsyth County (stores, restaurants, churches, parks, etc.).

If you need any advice about particular neighborhoods I would be happy to give you some info. (no I'm not a realtor; I am just very familiar with this area). Just send me a message or post your questions here with your price range.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 9,819 times
We live in Forsyth County - Suwanee, GA. Suwanee is really located in Gwinnett county, but we do have a Suwanee address in Forsyth. It is a GREAT place to live. We live 1 mile north of Johns Creek. It is not far from Norcross with a 141 commute (141 is a 4 lane local road). It is probably 20 minutes in no traffic and can be up to 45 in traffic. My husband used to work in Norcross. Forsyth is the best county for education! My children go to Sharon Elementary - a Platinum school, ranked #2. Great neighborhoods to search are Laurel Springs, Three Chimneys, Aberdeen. Laurel Springs is $400's-800s, Three Chimneys is $300's and Aberdeen is in the upper $200's. They just built a new high school - Lambert. It is state of the art and the principal is very well liked. If you are looking in Forsyth with a commute to Norcross - stay near 141 (Peachtree Pkwy). The closer to it, the better the commute.
VERY family oriented community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta