Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:50 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times

Advertisements

(Besides work if you work in the city) how often do you come Downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 04:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
I lived OTP for a minute and only came downtown every few months.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Only when the dreaded jury duty notice arrives.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
That's an interesting question. I live about 13 miles OTP, is that WAAAAAYYYYYYY out?

To answer the question, I come into town all the time for work, sometimes as much as 5 times a week. Before moving to the suburbs, I lived in Buckhead, and I was very conscientious about never becoming one of those people who refuses to go outside the perimeter for anything. I went OTP all the time to visit friends, eat out, I even would drive up to Alpharetta to go to Walmart at 2am since the intown locations close at midnight.

When I moved OTP, I made a similar promise that I would never be one of those people who never goes into Atlanta. So I go into the city all the time, not just for work, but to meet up with friends, eat out, go to concerts, whatever.

However, I will say this: My wife used to want to go "eat out intown" pretty frequently, like once a month. We actually do that a lot less now since we've discovered sophisticated restaurants OTP that anybody would swear were in Buckhead or Midtown if you were just teleported inside and didn't know where you were.

If it were up to me, I'd probably come into Atlanta less than I do. If I didn't have to for work and wasn't part of a social activity with weekly meetings intown, I'd probably come in once or twice a month. Maybe a bit more around the holidays to go the symphony, botanical gardens, etc.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I'm so far OTP, I'm half way to Columbus. :P

I get ITP about 3 times a year, never 'Downtown' though (Dekalb farmers market, spot off Ponce for my wifes hair, maybe Ikea if it's a weekday). Even when I was living ~2 blocks from 285 (20 years ago, Tucker), it was very rare to go Downtown.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:06 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I live about 1/2 mile ITP. In "fake ITP" as you put it. I'm going to comment anyway.

Downtown Atlanta sucks. Only reason I ever have to go there is shows at Tabernacle and Masquerade. Maybe in 5-10 years it will be a lot better. Right now it's mostly tourist bull crap, GSU, and hotels. Why would I go there? Centennial Park area is cool, that's about it.

Downtown Marietta is a million times better. I go up there instead.

I will say this though, I've always been fascinated with Peachtree Center. When I worked Downtown back in 2004, on my lunch break I used to have fun seeing how many buildings I could explore without ever going outside.

John Portman was/is sort of a futurist, IMO. I like his designs, and how connected everything is around there.

When I was a kid I really liked Hard Rock Cafe.

The Sun Dial is cool, but I'm not good with heights. I still go.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:06 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
I'm in Central Gwinnett. I commute to N.Fulton. Only time I go downtown is literally when I'm passing through it to get to the southern suburbs which occurs maybe 3 - 4 times a month.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:22 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I live about 1/2 mile ITP. In "fake ITP" as you put it. I'm going to comment anyway.
This whole ITP/OTP business is the height of bogosity. The mayor of Atlanta lives several miles OTP, as does his chief protege and the next possible mayor of Atlanta. So does the head of MARTA, as do the heads of several city departments.

Does the fact that they may personally prefer a suburban lifestyle mean they can't have an urban outlook and urban sensibilities?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This whole ITP/OTP business is the height of bogosity. The mayor of Atlanta lives several miles OTP, as does his chief protege and the next possible mayor of Atlanta. So does the head of MARTA, as do the heads of several city departments.

Does the fact that they may personally prefer a suburban lifestyle mean they can't have an urban outlook and urban sensibilities?
I personally would never ever want to live ITP of Atlanta.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Especially since the Perimeter is not a circle. Not even close.

The mayor's neighborhood area (Loch Lomond and all that Cascade area), is outside 285, but is inside of Atlanta city limits, and about as far from Downtown Atlanta as Lenox Mall is.

Smyrna and Chamblee are the same distance out from Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead. Yet one is considered in-town and urban these days, and the other is considered out in the suburbs. (MARTA has a lot to do with that, but still.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta