Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,882 times

Advertisements

https://whatnowatlanta.com/atlanta-b...h-loop-by-2030

We're without our activist-urbanist-alternative-transit posters, but this may interest other folk. Also, absolutely no surprise about people foaming over privilege and gentrification in the comments since it happens so often here! This is one of the more interesting developments reported since word about MARTA surveying for light rail popped up last fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 08:31 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
https://whatnowatlanta.com/atlanta-b...h-loop-by-2030

We're without our activist-urbanist-alternative-transit posters, but this may interest other folk. Also, absolutely no surprise about people foaming over privilege and gentrification in the comments since it happens so often here! This is one of the more interesting developments reported since word about MARTA surveying for light rail popped up last fall.
To me it's one of those screwed up situations.

No easy win

I can understand where those people who feel 'privileged' are coming from though, and I think it is not so much as privilege but attachment given they have poured their heart and work into those communities and now contractors are seeping in wanting to buy them up who have contributed nothing toward them, at the same token they're not exactly incorrect when they say we dont work on a merit based system but rather supply vs demand.

I'm not entirely certain as to what is happening there but my ultimate guess is property tax increases will force more locals out of their homes, although in this specific instance I really have to question the matter since it is only being passed to multi-family units at a grand total of $20 monthly increase, which will probably be less than the supply vs demand rental increases over time. How much does a landlord have to increase rent to cover $20 over a Multi Family Home / Apartment, ect? Surely it cant be that much.

The completion of the project (both in terms of trails and rail infrastructure) will invite more living communities and denser ones at that into the area. More inventory reduces rental costs so in that aspect, overall yes it does lead to affordable housing as housing affordability is largely affected by supply / demand. What may hurt though are residential property taxes on SFH as I would expect their values to skyrocket in response to the completion of Beltline, I personally would be more worried about that if I were a resident of the community.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 AM

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...FL3PJKKROXTEI/

This is good and interesting news for me at least. Felicia Moore will begin funding a campaign to be mayor.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:40 PM

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/u...nt-real-estate Curbed is back. You'll find some interesting photo updates here, like beltline progress and such. Enjoy!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:39 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Doughnuts Are Headed to the Heart of Virginia-Highland This Spring - Doughnut Dollies opens its third Atlanta-area location in May (Eater Atlanta)

Old 02-11-2021, 09:08 AM

I gatta admit you guys are so lucky right now...

It looks like you will retain warm weather through the gist of this, meanwhile they're predicting we're going to touch the single digits in Austin TX on Monday. Its pretty extreme out here, we are getting Thundersnow, never heard thunder during a snow storm before. Roads are iced up and I'm getting brownouts.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:52 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I gatta admit you guys are so lucky right now...

It looks like you will retain warm weather through the gist of this, meanwhile they're predicting we're going to touch the single digits in Austin TX on Monday. Its pretty extreme out here, we are getting Thundersnow, never heard thunder during a snow storm before. Roads are iced up and I'm getting brownouts.
Our forecast has been all over the place. At one point we were also forecast to partake in cold weather in the mid teens but it seems to be settling on relatively mild weather. Dallas could be looking at all time records and almost certainly February monthly records.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Our forecast has been all over the place. At one point we were also forecast to partake in cold weather in the mid teens but it seems to be settling on relatively mild weather. Dallas could be looking at all time records and almost certainly February monthly records.
Yeah it’s no joke here in Austin. I couldn’t even open my Prius this morning. Spent about 30 minutes getting ice off the windshield and windows and the roads are sheets of ice and water. If I didn’t know where I was I would think I was someplace in Missouri or Indiana.

Weather.com was off by a bit too. They predicted upper 30’s but we got lower than that.

FortWorth had a pileup on I-35W due to ice, drivers are still stuck inside their vehicles.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Just stumbled across this. Nothing bad for Atlanta, but Seattle... Wow!

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/buoyed...iFo0Buyj31ik58
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta