Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM

770 posts, read 604,048 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ten-u-sta...-business.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,807 times
Will be amazing to see the republicans, who have taken the "any new tax is a bad tax" stance for decades suddenly support this measure because it came from their own party. The hypocrisy is astounding. Can't have a slight tax increase for universal health care, but it's just fine to do it to build a useless wall. Do people not know the vast majority of illegal immigrants come by plane? I wonder which kills more US citizens, illegal immigrants or lack of Healthcare? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that.

I'm sure they'll find a way to make the border wall tax only apply to people with incomes under 500k annually, that way the GOP and their rich donors won't have to pay for it.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:48 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Will be amazing to see the republicans, who have taken the "any new tax is a bad tax" stance for decades suddenly support this measure because it came from their own party. The hypocrisy is astounding. Can't have a slight tax increase for universal health care, but it's just fine to do it to build a useless wall. Do people not know the vast majority of illegal immigrants come by plane? I wonder which kills more US citizens, illegal immigrants or lack of Healthcare? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that.

I'm sure they'll find a way to make the border wall tax only apply to people with incomes under 500k annually, that way the GOP and their rich donors won't have to pay for it.
I never heard such a thing. What is your source?

EDIT: Never mind, I found this:

http://www.fairus.org/issue/how-did-...-or-with-visas

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-07-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

How did Illegal Aliens Arrive: Without Inspection or With Visas?
The idea of Mexicans running across the border is a boogeyman created by republicans. Most of our yearly immigrants arrive by plane and overstay their visa. The wall is a joke.

For the past few years, in fact, more Mexicans have left the US to return home than have come here illegally.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:

How did Illegal Aliens Arrive: Without Inspection or With Visas?
Also...did you seriously supplement your argument by providing a source from a website against immigration? I'm sure I could find arguments that guns don't kill people on the website of the NRA too.

Here, try this:

Visa Overstays Outnumber Illegal Border Crossings, Trend Expected to Continue - NBC News

Quote:
The study by the CMS divides the 2014 population into two groups: those who enter with a valid temporary visa, but subsequently "overstay" and establish residence in the U.S. without authorization and those who "enter without inspection" (EWI) through the southern border without proper immigration documents.

According to the report, in 2014, 42 percent of all undocumented persons in the U.S. were "overstays."

Of those who arrived or joined the undocumented population in 2014, 66 percent were overstays.

This trend is expected to continue.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Also...did you seriously supplement your argument by providing a source from a website against immigration? I'm sure I could find arguments that guns don't kill people on the website of the NRA too.

Here, try this:

Visa Overstays Outnumber Illegal Border Crossings, Trend Expected to Continue - NBC News
NBC? Well, it's a draw then, as I hold your source at about the same level of esteem as you hold mine.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
NBC? Well, it's a draw then, as I hold your source at about the same level of esteem as you hold mine.
Oh, right, I forgot everything other than Fox and Brietbart is fake news.

I'm an openminded person, and I know biased news. For example, I'd never quote Huffington Post or Mother Jones. But NBC news? The GOP anti-intellectual campaign is really destroying the foundation of our country. I guess you believe the NY Times is fake too, as Trump proclaimed? Where do we draw the line?

It's like the GOP gave up on trying to talk their way out of bad press and decided to just label any non right wing news source as fake news. It's amazing.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Oh, right, I forgot everything other than Fox and Brietbart is fake news.

I'm an openminded person, and I know biased news. For example, I'd never quote Huffington Post or Mother Jones. But NBC news? The GOP anti-intellectual campaign is really destroying the foundation of our country. I guess you believe the NY Times is fake too, as Trump proclaimed? Where do we draw the line?

It's like the GOP gave up on trying to talk their way out of bad press and decided to just label any non right wing news source as fake news. It's amazing.
I'm not particularly enamored of the term 'fake news'; I am, however, of the opinion that there is inherent bias within the news divisions of the three major networks (how 'major' any of them are considered anymore I really couldn't say), particularly within their editorial functions.
Here's a pretty compelling book on the subject that I read years ago. If anybody has been around the block in the media industry, Bernie Goldberg has.

Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

And in my opinion, Republicans most certainly don't have a monopoly on anti-intellectualism.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,257 times
Quote:
This is America in a nutshell. Your source is dedicated to anti immigration agenda and you hold it at about the same level as NBC. Not concluding that NBC is correct, but really?

Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
This is America in a nutshell. Your source is dedicated to anti immigration agenda and you hold it at about the same level as NBC. Not concluding that NBC is correct, but really?
Really. And I believe the source you refer to is NBC Latino, a division of NBC News. I'll let others draw their own conclusions.

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-07-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: