Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

What will it take to get Atlantans permanently out of their cars?

Sure, the temporary closing of I-85 got more people on mass transit but did it stick?

Quote:
When the I-85 bridge collapsed this spring, MARTA increased service and staffing to win over commuters forced off Atlanta highways and onto its trains.

But an Atlanta Journal-Constitution analysis of federal transit statistics suggests MARTA got only a small boost in ridership that didn’t last. In fact, ridership on the system’s trains and buses is down more than 2 percent this year – part of a long-term decline that has only occasionally been interrupted by fits of growth.

The decline in riders mirrors a national trend. Experts say transit ridership across the country fluctuates but has been hit lately by everything from cheap gas to competition from ride-hailing services. MARTA hoped to buck the trend when I-85 gave it a chance to court new riders.

More....MARTA ridership down since I-85 reopened in Atlanta

Last edited by arjay57; 11-26-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 08:24 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times
A service that doesn't completely suck?

Side note, took the train to Brookhaven yesterday with my family from the airport.

They allow kids to ride for free. Upon trying to exit, you only have two tickets to get through their gates. The gates closed on us and we had to pry them open. Any way around that nonsense?

I try to avoid MARTA at all costs. It is a terrible product. Rarely is it faster than a car and train intervals are too long.

Last time I used it from the airport we waited nearly 30 mins for the train to depart. The train was packed like sardines. Terrible product.

I would rather pay 10x the amount and take an UBER however that experience from the airport two weeks ago was nearly as bad. THERE IS NO CELL SERVICE AT THE SHARE RIDE PICKUP. You have to go back into the airport to get the Uber/Lyft. Took me over 30 mins to initiate the ride. Others were having the same issue. I have Verizon.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:44 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Sure the temporary closing of I-85 got more people on mass transit but did it stick?
A system that actually goes to places that people want to go would be the best start. Our system covers a fraction of ITP and a TINY fraction of the metro. Until there is a system that actually covers an appreciable amount of ITP at worst, whining about people not using it, and using cars instead, is a pointless endeavor.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
They could demolish all the freeways permanently, and MARTA would still be way too inconvenient, and all-around pointless for me to ever even bother with, and I don't even live OTP.

As for the ridership on the NE side that they temporarily gained when the bridge collapsed, of course those riders are going to go back to whatever their regularly commuting choices were previously, with their freeway back intact again. Not sure why anyone was expecting a different result.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:47 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
A comprehensive system that gives the ridership what they want and need.

And it doesn't take Captain Obvious to figure out that ridership would be down once I-85 opened back up.

Just how many threads are we going to have on this?

Old 11-26-2017, 09:08 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
A comprehensive system that gives the ridership what they want and need.

And it doesn't take Captain Obvious to figure out that ridership would be down once I-85 opened back up.

Took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post

Hi, how long have you been here again?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
A system that actually goes to places that people want to go would be the best start. Our system covers a fraction of ITP and a TINY fraction of the metro.
Are you including buses?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Sure, the temporary closing of I-85 got more people on mass transit but did it stick?
Atlanta needs extensive, comprehensive commuter rail.

11 lines.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta needs extensive, comprehensive commuter rail.

11 lines.
That would be a massive investment. Especially for a city that hasn’t exactly embraced the transit that already exists.

For commuter rail to work, you need very dense job centers. Think NYC, Chicago, DC. Then you need people willing to walk or use public transportation at the end of their journey. Does Atlanta have these pieces?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta