Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:13 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yeah, my life was not significantly improved by Sunday sales.
Same with me. However, I do like being able to shop for wine on Sunday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its not that big an impediment. You can plan ahead or wait a couple hours.
Just because it's not a 'big' impediment, doesn't mean it should remain codified into law.

It doesn't matter how personal this issue is to anyone here, whether they take advantage of the open hours or not, It's a matter of principal. Whether or not the laws started out as rooted in christian teachings doesn't matter when we're supposed to be creating, and maintaining a secular legal system that allows religious, or the lack there of, freedom.

It wouldn't be such a big impediment to limit the ability to buy juice, after all. Just plan ahead or wait a couple hours.

It wouldn't be such a big impediment to limit the ability to buy cookies, after all. Just plan ahead or wait a couple hours.

It wouldn't be such a big impediment to limit church hours, after all. Just plan ahead or wait a couple hours.

See, it doesn't matter how much you don't drink during those times, since it's not anyone's place to dictate to others what they can and can't do based on a specific scripture. Remove the law and y'all quit making excuses for trying to keep s̶h̶a̶r̶i̶a̶ biblical law in place.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Just because it's not a 'big' impediment, doesn't mean it should remain codified into law.

It doesn't matter how personal this issue is to anyone here, whether they take advantage of the open hours or not, It's a matter of principal. Whether or not the laws started out as rooted in christian teachings doesn't matter when we're supposed to be creating, and maintaining a secular legal system that allows religious, or the lack there of, freedom.

It wouldn't be such a big impediment to limit the ability to buy juice, after all. Just plan ahead or wait a couple hours.

It wouldn't be such a big impediment to limit the ability to buy cookies, after all. Just plan ahead or wait a couple hours.

It wouldn't be such a big impediment to limit church hours, after all. Just plan ahead or wait a couple hours.

See, it doesn't matter how much you don't drink during those times, since it's not anyone's place to dictate to others what they can and can't do based on a specific scripture. Remove the law and y'all quit making excuses for trying to keep s̶h̶a̶r̶i̶a̶ biblical law in place.
This is more about the very small number of uber-powerful Distributors and their lobbyists here than it is about any perceived s̶h̶a̶r̶i̶a̶ biblical law. Period.

To portray Atlanta as being under the thumb of religious doctrine in 2018 is being dishonest, this isn't 1978. It's about the Distributors.

That being said, how refreshing it is to go to supermarkets in California & Maine with beer, liquor & wine with their own aisles. In Florida, Publix & Walgreen's have liquor stores immediately adjacent to their stores.

Now Florida is allowing free standing stores for Publix. This is their new store in the Baldwin Park neighborhood of Orlando, around the corner form the supermarket.

Pic is courtesy of bungalower:

Old 04-29-2018, 09:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Not everyone goes to church
And of those that do, not everyone goes in the mornings, like me for example. Hell, I go sometimes during the week also.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:10 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You're right: laws should not dictate religious customs. However, religious customs have long influenced the crafting and application of laws. Right, wrong or indifferent, it doesn't matter. It just sort of is what it is.
It's more correct to say that various religions signed on to common sense moral ideals which long predate the existence of any religion, and then claimed that they invented them. And then they applied them to law, and now claim that our laws and values are founded in religion. So therefore, without religion, we would be a species devoid of any morals or values. Quite the hat trick.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:11 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Funny reading people squirm behind absurd flimsy justifications for this law without wholeheartedly supporting or opposing it.

I mean, yes, many laws are based on Judeo-Christian principles. Many such laws are stupid laws, as is the stupid law in question. We should all oppose stupid laws.

We don't need to go into discussions on the origins of these stupid laws--"they're stupid, but here's why we have them." Just oppose them; that's all you need to do.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is more about the very small number of uber-powerful Distributors and their lobbyists here than it is about any perceived s̶h̶a̶r̶i̶a̶ biblical law. Period.

To portray Atlanta as being under the thumb of religious doctrine in 2018 is being dishonest, this isn't 1978. It's about the Distributors.
Again, the same analogies of juice or cookies apply. After all, if we were artificially limiting a product's ability to be sold for some non-legitimate reason of course distributors would want the law changed. We saw much of the same push from both independent breweries, large-scale breweries, and potential customers when those breweries couldn't sell direct in-house.

Just because there is also a business justification does not make it an illegitimate legal change. Sometimes, what's good for a corporation or a private business, is also good for the public and and people as a whole as well. Not always of course, but not never, either.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Again, the same analogies of juice or cookies apply.
I've never heard of anybody getting plastered on juice or cookies and crossing the center line.

But if people need to buy a drink of liquor on Sunday morning, so be it. I have no moral (or religious) objection to it, it just strikes me as sort of sad.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:09 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Went to vote today and didn't see it on the ballet

Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've never heard of anybody getting plastered on juice or cookies and crossing the center line.

But if people need to buy a drink of liquor on Sunday morning, so be it. I have no moral (or religious) objection to it, it just strikes me as sort of sad.
Okay cool, so you support the brunch bill too!

Not sure why you need to put such a sanctimonious tone on it though. Am I that much of a degenerate for wanting to pick up a six pack of beer on the way to watch a Falcons game at a friend's cookout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta