Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 37,626 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

I have lived in the Atlanta area for almost 10 years now, but I have not been happy with any of the areas where I have lived. I am a single, black, 28 year old female, who has spent the last 10 years looking for an area in Atlanta to live that will satisfy me. I have lived and am very familiar with the West End, Cascade Rd. area, areas in south fulton county near Camp Creek Marketplace, Lithonia, Decatur, Stone Mountain, Forest Park, Union City, Smyrna, College Park, and East Point.

I am tired of the suburban lifestyle, and yes I know that Atlanta has more of a suburban (some parts rural) feel to it, than an urban feel, which is why I want to live either downtown, midtown, or atlantic station. In the past I could not afford to live in these areas, but now I am financially able to rent or own in these areas. I want to live in a loft or condo which is in walking distance to shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. I am tired of having to drive to everything. I work in the city so living in the city is ideal anyway.

I am well aware of the fact that buying a condo might not be a good investment because of all of the new condos that are being built, making more supply than demand, but my move to downtown, midtown, or atlantic station will be for the long term. I have been a homeowner, and I am not happy with living in a house. I am very willing to sacrifice a bad investment for the urban lifestyle that I so desperately am looking for.

So, which area (downtown, midtown, or atlantic station) would you suggest for a 28 year old single black female and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM

42 posts, read 166,607 times
I see where you're coming from. I am looking for pretty much the same thing. My young professional friends who live in Atlanta love the MIDTOWN/VAHI areas. There are also other intown neighborhoods that people on this board like a lot. They could give you really accurate pictures of them all.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,580 times
I think you can live in those areas and not worry about race. The more urban the more diverse an area is...the main thing you need is young and urban. It just depends on the vibe you're going for. Funky, hipster, groovy - Little 5 Points. All around urban - Midtown. Trendy and upscale, maybe just a bit on the yuppie side but not near the Buckhead level of yuppiness - VaHi. New and without a real discernible vibe - Atlanta Station.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:48 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiQueen View Post
Hi Everyone.

I have lived in the Atlanta area for almost 10 years now, but I have not been happy with any of the areas where I have lived. I am a single, black, 28 year old female, who has spent the last 10 years looking for an area in Atlanta to live that will satisfy me. I have lived and am very familiar with the West End, Cascade Rd. area, areas in south fulton county near Camp Creek Marketplace, Lithonia, Decatur, Stone Mountain, Forest Park, Union City, Smyrna, College Park, and East Point.

I am tired of the suburban lifestyle, and yes I know that Atlanta has more of a suburban (some parts rural) feel to it, than an urban feel, which is why I want to live either downtown, midtown, or atlantic station. In the past I could not afford to live in these areas, but now I am financially able to rent or own in these areas. I want to live in a loft or condo which is in walking distance to shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. I am tired of having to drive to everything. I work in the city so living in the city is ideal anyway.

I am well aware of the fact that buying a condo might not be a good investment because of all of the new condos that are being built, making more supply than demand, but my move to downtown, midtown, or atlantic station will be for the long term. I have been a homeowner, and I am not happy with living in a house. I am very willing to sacrifice a bad investment for the urban lifestyle that I so desperately am looking for.

So, which area (downtown, midtown, or atlantic station) would you suggest for a 28 year old single black female and why?
You will love Castleberry Hill.Lots of lofts,young urban professionals. Eccletic shops,bars and restaurants .Its downtown Atlanta in a very much up and coming district that many people dont know about.I got a feeling you'll love it!!Let me know when you go what you think.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 AM

22 posts, read 90,228 times
I've lived in Midtown most of the last 20 years that I've lived in Atlanta and love it! In my opinion, it is the closest to what you are describing as an urban area. I walk everywhere... restaurants, shops, theaters, museums, nightlife, the park. Loads of friends in the neighborhood as well. With its continued growth and development, it's the place to be! And it boasts the most fantastic green space in the city... Piedmont Park!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
GeminiQueen, I'll agree with everyone else and say you'll be happy in any of the areas you mentioned.

Keep your eyes peeled for the spring tour of lofts that the Downtown Development Board organizes every year - May I think. It's a lot of fun, and will expose you to a wide cross section of Downtown in particular.

To really enjoy the vibe around Inman Park/L5P, DON'T MISS the Inman Park Festival, usually on the last weekend in April (Inman Park). I can guarantee you that festival alone will convince you you are making the right decision. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
To really enjoy the vibe around Inman Park/L5P, DON'T MISS the Inman Park Festival, usually on the last weekend in April (Inman Park). I can guarantee you that festival alone will convince you you are making the right decision. Good luck!
To continue on the shameless plug for the Inman Park Festival - check out the neighborhood website at Inman Park. It is always the last weekend of April - so this year it will be April 26-27. The parade is on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m. Everyone come down - you will not regret it!

I agree with your choices - I would toss in, of course, Inman Park. There are two new condos in the neighborhood for you to consider.

870 Inman & Welcome to the Grinnell Lofts They are actually located across from one another on Highland.

I am sure that you will enjoy the "vibe" much more in the City.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 37,626 times
Thanks for the feedback. I have been leaning towards living in a loft, or a condo with a loft type of feel to it, and I have noticed that there is a large concentration of lofts in the Castleberry Hill neighborhood downtown.

afonega1, thanks for your feedback, because Castleberry Hill is one of the neighborhoods that was definitely on my mind. Has anyone reading this live in this neighborhood, or know anyone who does? Are there any negatives to living in Castleberry Hill? I'd loved to know the negatives and the positives.

I've never really thought of living in Inman Park, but I will definitely check out the upcoming festival to get a feel for the area.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
[quote=GeminiQueen;3240206]
afonega1, thanks for your feedback, because Castleberry Hill is one of the neighborhoods that was definitely on my mind. Has anyone reading this live in this neighborhood, or know anyone who does? Are there any negatives to living in Castleberry Hill? I'd loved to know the negatives and the positives.

Here is the website for Castleberry Hill: Castleberry Hill Neighborhood Association

Here is another cool loft space that I just visited too: Loft and Condo Living in Atlanta It is more in the Poncey/Highland area. There is a tax abatement too.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,989 times
studioplex atlanta is another development in the Old4th Ward/Inman Park area which is has a more distinct "City Vibe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta