Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:30 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,790,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
True, and point taken about choosing midtown... but what I am more so saying is that while the income shows higher in alot of those areas, the picture may not be as green and beautiful as some might imagine because along with the higher income alot of those areas are much more expensive to live in. So basically one with less income in say Stockbridge may be fairing just as well with one with much more income in Alpharetta.
In other news the Sky is Blue?

I don't understand your point to be honest.

Yes, wealth follows where wealth can be produced/made.

But the original response I had to you was trying to re-calibrate the conversation on the difference between region differences and differences within our region.

Many people only make $50-$60k have full size families and work in Perimeter and Alpharetta and get by just fine.

Do they have to budget their money, yes. Do they get to live in the most ideal neighborhood in the best school district with a 10 minute drive to work, no...

but most of make those decisions in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 04:41 AM

11,852 posts, read 8,066,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
In other news the Sky is Blue?

I don't understand your point to be honest.

Yes, wealth follows where wealth can be produced/made.

But the original response I had to you was trying to re-calibrate the conversation on the difference between region differences and differences within our region.

Many people only make $50-$60k have full size families and work in Perimeter and Alpharetta and get by just fine.

Do they have to budget their money, yes. Do they get to live in the most ideal neighborhood in the best school district with a 10 minute drive to work, no...

but most of make those decisions in life.
What I'm stating is that although you may make a good bit less money in a place like Stockbridge vs Alpharetta, accounting for the cost of living differences between those two areas you would need to make a good bit more money to live / work in Alpharetta versus Stockbridge, so while you may make alot more in Alpharetta, your expenses are generally also much higher than they would be in a place like Stockbridge, although I still think you would be fairing off better at those income levels .. I don't think the difference is as extreme in several cases as people think.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
What I'm stating is that although you may make a good bit less money in a place like Stockbridge vs Alpharetta, accounting for the cost of living differences between those two areas you would need to make a good bit more money to live / work in Alpharetta versus Stockbridge, so while you may make alot more in Alpharetta, your expenses are generally also much higher than they would be in a place like Stockbridge, although I still think you would be fairing off better at those income levels .. I don't think the difference is as extreme in several cases as people think.
Right...

Just as I originally said,... Cost of living adjustment

But where you're failing to make a good argument is you're failing to realize there are many different parts of our region that people live in and can still commute and work in places like Alpharetta.

The argument holds more validity in an Atlanta vs San Francisco regional difference.

Largely, beyond that... I'm afraid your original comments based on household income you mentioned is just a little out of touch. Yes, many people live in households with more, but only 25%.

There is a certain air of perhaps expectations privilege.... especially with the specific cases and numbers you've brought up.

Many people make less and live in the region and work in these places.

The median household incomes in the metro are as follows:

Gwinnett: $62k
Cobb: $68k
Dekalb: $53k
Fulton: $58k

Yes, we have expensive parts of town...everywhere does, we do have issues of people with truly low-income jobs having to live far from work, but there is ample room for people with Median salaries, much less $100k salaries to live somewhat nearby.

It's not like there is a vacuum that requires people live in Alpharetta. Even then, the Median HHI for Alpharetta is $93k and has ample places for a $100k family to live and own their own home.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 AM

221 posts, read 190,427 times
Quote:
If you have 4 + kids plus your own expenses, rent, utilities, vehicular expenses, you'll quickly find yourself bottlenecked at $100k household income. $100k house hold income is fairly common, all it takes is a husband and wife both making $50k. OR one of them making $75k and the other doing something part time. My Brother in law was making $125k while my sister does real estate and her money potential is quite high, but so are her expenses, and they chose to live in Midtown...even making nearly $220k a year, quite often are they asking us for groceries.

$100k is cool but even while I was making that, it wasn't a game changer and is often still considered middle class in many circles.
Lol making $220k a year and asking you for groceries. You need to stop letting them mooch off you.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,253,100 times
I make $85k, live in Doraville now, currently work in Buckhead. The jobs I'm eligible for (financial tech reporting) are typically in Midtown, Perimeter, Buckhead, etc.

I'm living in Doraville now because I'm a hoarder when it comes to rent (own a newly constructed home for $240k, $1700 house payment including taxes, insurance, HOA).

I've been getting tired of the commute (25 in the morning, 50 in the afternoon). I even tell myself, I'd rather move out far into Duluth and do minimum wage or something, but once I did the math, I would be better off either staying in Doraville, or getting a more expensive apartment more intown.

$85k ($5k monthly pay after taxes)
$1700 Doraville $240k house
$3.3k net

$2000 in town apartment
$3k net

$2700 theoretical $400k house for better commute
$2.3k net

$20k [$10/hour job in boonies] ($1.3k monthly pay after taxes)
$1000 rent in Duluth
$300 net

These #s don't account for fact that I have 2 roommate that help $400 each $800 total in rent. So in sum, I don't think you can compare Stockbridge and Alpharetta. Yes Alpharetta homes cost more but if you do the math, the incomes still run out far ahead, not to mention the quality of life. And I suppose you could work in Alpharetta and live further out, but how much are you saving that way? Is it worth the terrible commute?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,253,100 times
Quote:
I haven't read through the whole thread, however; I feel this map only tells half the story, you can easily make over $100k a year and still be living in poverty like conditions...especially if thats only household income....EASILY... Case in point, $100k household income won't do you much good in a place like Alpharetta in a $600,000 house versus in a place like McDonough at a $60K Household income in a $175,000 house... and there's tons more variables than just that..so don't be mislead at just looking at income... EXPENSES are where the real story lies.
https://www.zillow.com/alpharetta-ga/home-values/
https://www.zillow.com/mcdonough-ga/home-values/

Median house price in Alpharetta is $400k and $175k in McDonough.

$6k take home pay for $100k household
$2.5k payment on $400k house
$3.5k left

$3.8k take home pay for $60k household
$1.3k payment on $175k house
$2.5k left

The wealthier group still has more $ for vacations, etc. In terms of hidden expenses, you may want more security, private schools, etc. in Stockbridge that you wouldn't need in Alpharetta.

Last edited by jhtrico1850; 03-22-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,952,207 times
This conversation is why the original map is so informative. That bright blue triangle is where the high paying jobs are, the better schools, the better career opportunities, etc..

Want to understand Atlanta's traffic mess? Easy! Jhtrico just explained it. The better middle class jobs are in the triangle but the affordable houses are outside the triangle, so they drive. Now take a look at our transit system. Does it work for these people? Exactly. This map also hints at why MARTA doesn't work to relieve the traffic.

Amazon HQ2? This map tells you where the people averaging $100k a year live. Want to know where to put a call center or distribution warehouse with an average pay of $40k a year? It's not in that triangle. It's as far from that triangle as possible where you don't have to compete with the triangle for workers.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,934,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That wouldn't be Virginia Highland

It's partly Druid Hills and partly Morningside, but probably better described as the eastern edge of Morningside giving it a closer look.

It is all on the Dekalb side and part of it is outside the city.

Census Tract 020100 in Dekalb County, Georgia
Its not considered part of Druid Hills. Don't remember what the neighborhood is actually called. But yes, probably more Morningside than V-H, although I've never been clear on where those two split. Druid Hills does extend slightly on the west side of Briarcliff, but not that far north.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:10 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Buckhead is in the City of Atlanta (Atlanta 30305, 30326, 30327) ...
It also includes 30342. A lot of high dollar folks sitting up there in North Buckhead.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its not considered part of Druid Hills. Don't remember what the neighborhood is actually called. But yes, probably more Morningside than V-H, although I've never been clear on where those two split. Druid Hills does extend slightly on the west side of Briarcliff, but not that far north.
I'm conceding that Morningside is the best term once you zoom in, but Druid Hills does go that far north and it does overlap with that census tract.

This might be changed in some perceptions if Atlanta annexes more property in that area without annexing all of Druid Hills

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Hills_CDP.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta