Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:45 PM

776 posts, read 1,065,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If you were not trying to build a case against moving to Atlanta to present to your wife, you very much probably would not be asking Atlanta residents if their own city/metro area is dirty, rundown, and full of strip malls, trash and trailer parks... Issues that every large major metro area deals with to some extent.

It just seems kind of crass to go to a city's forum and ask that city's residents to give you ideas to use to badmouth that city to your wife over whatever type of personal disagreement that you two might have.

One strongly suspects that you think that you can get away with asking Atlanta residents to give you ideas to put down their city to your wife, but would not dare go into the forums of cities like New York, Boston, Chicago and/or definitely your beloved Dallas and ask the residents of those city/metros to do the same because you probably fear (and know) that the residents of those cities most likely would run you out of town on a rail if you did so.

Why you think that you can come into the Atlanta forum and ask us to badmouth our city for you without any pushback is beyond me.

You are already aware of Atlanta's traffic congestion issues and water issues. Anything else is just a fishing expedition for ideas to use to build a case against moving to Atlanta to present to your wife. It is pretty transparent with the statements that you have made saying that you want to move to Dallas where your heart is at while your wife wants to move to Atlanta.

Seems to me that you mentioned it multiple times.... not just once sorry. You also mentioned it in the first long comment response you left. these are just the 5 times in the last one you left. as mentioned by me before. My Wife and I are not at any disagreement. We are on this forum together looking info to satisfy our concerns. Why would I try to drive a wedge between us over a relocation? You sound ridiculous. I love Atlanta sometimes more that she probably does. I have just been vocal that I love Dallas too just ad much and for some reasons more, but I have also said that I love Atlanta more in most respects. Dallas just meets certain professional goals better. But we have moved around for our careers and still find ourselves unhappy in the elements that matter most. Those seem like they can be found in Atlanta for people like us. Did It ever occur to you that some of the things I am asking are being asked FOR my wife and not to be used against her as you keep repeating? She has concerns I have concerns, it is one of those types of cities. What is so wrong with us asking about dirty areas or run down areas? we just want to know what to drive through before we paint some grand picture in our heads. Seems logical. Most people have no problem admitting that their "beloved city" may have some bad spots.... even some of thee great places I have bragged about living have bad areas to warn people about..... All you have proven to me is not to listen to anything you say. It is a shame that people like even waste our time on here. Own up to your comments ,leave helpful info or dont bother, because there are plenty of good people on here offering good help.

Last edited by rtloucks; 03-27-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:47 PM

651 posts, read 478,097 times
It’s weird that no one mentioned culture.

I personally prefer ATLs prominent black culture and overall art scene, but your taste may differ.

Last edited by Otakumaster; 03-27-2018 at 05:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post

I personally prefer ATLs prominent black culture and overall art scene. You
Culture is what areas like Dallas, Tampa and Charlotte lack.Along with real diversity are there certain areas to see some of this that we should consider driving through or checking out? We love arts, street performers, Music, etc. Anything really. That is wwhat i love about towns like Austin, Nashville, San Francisco, etc. If there is anywhere specific worth mentioning let me know.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:01 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,001,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Culture is what areas like Dallas, Tampa and Charlotte lack.Along with real diversity are there certain areas to see some of this that we should consider driving through or checking out? We love arts, street performers, Music, etc. Anything really. That is wwhat i love about towns like Austin, Nashville, San Francisco, etc. If there is anywhere specific worth mentioning let me know.
Visit Ponce City Market and walk/bike the belt line from there. If you are planning to live in Marietta, then check out events on the Marietta Square such as First Fridays Art Walk.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:18 PM

We havent committed to the idea of Mariettta at this time. Just that Marietta seems to fall into that general area and we do like it there. We are firm believers though that we would live as close in as possible without sacrificing schools or safety..... That is a later decision though. .Right now we have to make the decision to move there or not.

In regards to all the beach comments: all fair and true. We have been all over both areas and been to the beaches you all talk about. To be honest, beaches are the last of our concerns. We live 9 miles from Clearwater Beach in FL and rarely go.

In regards to mountains: Not looking to go every day, not looking to rock climb or get crazy. Just like to hike and most parks will be enough, but we enjoy spending a weekend day or two out in the mountains. No problem to drive a couple of hours. We used to drive that from Charlotte when we wanted to go.

Also..... I never intended on this to become a Comparisons between ATL and DFW. I realize that when some people have a connection with both it is easy to compare and is quite helpful so thank you for that. It is actually quite comforting when I can picture something or compare something to something I know. But to be clear, we are not considering DFW right now. We are considering ATL. We dont even have an option that would bring us to DFW. I just wanted to clear that up.

I agree with all the comments about the topography and scenery though. Wee actually love the SE region for that reason. The diversity, greenery, vegetation, humidity, mild climates ( I say mild, i know most will argue that summers are hell and I get that. But we feel that we have acclimated after living in Charlotte Dfw and Tampa.)We like the proximity Atl can offer to other places as i mentioned too....

So hopefully this thread can get back on track. Thanks to all again.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM

11,854 posts, read 8,074,133 times
I'ma just drop the argument at this point its not going anywhere productive.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,079,491 times
Quote:
Culture is what areas like Dallas, Tampa and Charlott
You're crazy.

Tampa has way more culture than Atlanta. Between Gasparilla, Guavaween, and the Cuban influence in places like Ybor City, Tampa has at least as much culture as Atlanta and I'd say probably way more.

Dallas also has a ton of culture. I'm not into their silly cowboy, football, and lone star culture....but I can't deny that it's there.

Can't speak to Charlotte, I'm not sure what the culture there is.

But yeah, I'm with Need4Camaro on this one. Sorry, man, you don't know what you want and your metrics for measuring quality of life in cities seems bizarre and your own. Nobody here can help you, just do whatever you think is best for you.

But don't come to Atlanta. We don't need more people. Seriously, we're full.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:22 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post

I personally prefer ATLs prominent black culture and overall art scene, but your taste may differ.
Atlanta is pretty lacking for a city its size in the visual arts as well as the fine arts (symphony, ballet, etc.).
General music it is not lacking in.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,542,837 times
Quote:
Seems to me that you mentioned it multiple times.... not just once sorry. You also mentioned it in the first long comment response you left. these are just the 5 times in the last one you left. as mentioned by me before. My Wife and I are not at any disagreement. We are on this forum together looking info to satisfy our concerns. Why would I try to drive a wedge between us over a relocation? You sound ridiculous. I love Atlanta sometimes more that she probably does. I have just been vocal that I love Dallas too just ad much and for some reasons more, but I have also said that I love Atlanta more in most respects. Dallas just meets certain professional goals better. But we have moved around for our careers and still find ourselves unhappy in the elements that matter most. Those seem like they can be found in Atlanta for people like us. Did It ever occur to you that some of the things I am asking are being asked FOR my wife and not to be used against her as you keep repeating? She has concerns I have concerns, it is one of those types of cities. What is so wrong with us asking about dirty areas or run down areas? we just want to know what to drive through before we paint some grand picture in our heads. Seems logical. Most people have no problem admitting that their "beloved city" may have some bad spots.... even some of thee great places I have bragged about living have bad areas to warn people about..... All you have proven to me is not to listen to anything you say. It is a shame that people like even waste our time on here. Own up to your comments ,leave helpful info or dont bother, because there are plenty of good people on here offering good help.
Dude, don't try and play like you are an innocent victim after basically getting caught trolling for negative information on a fishing expedition to build and present a case against moving to Atlanta because you really want to move to Dallas like you already admitted.

Also, you admitted that you and your wife basically have a disagreement over whether to move to Dallas or Atlanta. Once again, since you keep trying to lie about what you said, here is the admission of the disagreement between you and your wife in your own words...
Quote:
I'll be honest, I love the DFW area a lot and would rather move back there, but my wife really likes Atlanta more .I really enjoy it there and it is probably just that my heart is in Dallas because I am familiar, but atlanta seems to give me some uneasiness
I never said anything about "you trying to drive a wedge between you and your wife over a relocation." That is something that YOU said... Probably because you are really afraid that asserting your desire to move to Dallas might actually drive a wedge between you and your wife. I obviously don't know for sure. That is something for you and your wife to figure out.

And again, if you loved Atlanta as much as you falsely claim that you do, you would not come on the Atlanta forum asking if this city (that you just LOVE SOOOOOO MUCH) is dirty, rundown, full of trash, strip malls, trailer parks, tire shops and pawn shops.

If you loved Atlanta so much, you wouldn't need or want or even desire to ask that type of loaded question about a city that you claim to love so much before expressing "uneasiness" about this city that you claim to love in the next breath.

And I never said that you were seeking negative information about Atlanta to use against her. I said that you were seeking negative information to build and present a case to her against moving to Atlanta and you know that. You just need to stop lying and distorting what I said in a poor attempt to divert away from your own continuing thinly-veiled attempts at low-level trolling.

It has been well-established that the loaded questions you are asking about Atlanta are for your wife so that the desired answers to those loaded questions can be used in a case to present to your wife against moving to Atlanta so that you can bolster the case for moving to Dallas like you have admitted and expressed multiple times already.

There is nothing wrong with you asking about dirty areas or run down areas. There is something wrong with you asking if a city is dirty, rundown, full of trash, strip malls, trailer parks, tire shops and pawn shops to that city's residents' faces after you claim to love that city so much.

If you loved Atlanta so much, you would already clearly know that the city is NOT dirty, rundown, full of trash, strip malls, trailer parks, tire shops and pawn shops.

If you loved the city so much, you would not feel the desire to come on the Atlanta forum and troll Atlanta residents for negative information on a city that you claim to love so much. You would already know that it is NOT "one of those types of cities" ...Whatever that is supposed to mean?

We have already admitted that Atlanta has "some bad spots" like every other city large and small has "some bad spots."

Don't act like you came on here just to innocently gather information about "knowing what to drive through" like all of Atlanta is some kind of raging war zone... Something which you already know not to be the case.

I mean, first you and your wife love Atlanta and now you and your wife have major concerns that the entire city is full of bad areas that you and your wife need to warned about. Dude, you really just need to stop. Just stop.

All that you have proven to this board is to not listen to anything you have to say because all that you are interested in is trolling for negativity so that you can bolster your case for moving to Dallas to your wife.

"Own up" to your own desire to move to Dallas to your wife and stop coming on here playing games trying to get us to do your dirty work for you.

It's okay to admit that you want to move to Dallas... You just don't need to troll Atlantans in the process of doing it.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 03-27-2018 at 11:53 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,542,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You're crazy.

Tampa has way more culture than Atlanta. Between Gasparilla, Guavaween, and the Cuban influence in places like Ybor City, Tampa has at least as much culture as Atlanta and I'd say probably way more.

Dallas also has a ton of culture. I'm not into their silly cowboy, football, and lone star culture....but I can't deny that it's there.

Can't speak to Charlotte, I'm not sure what the culture there is.

But yeah, I'm with Need4Camaro on this one. Sorry, man, you don't know what you want and your metrics for measuring quality of life in cities seems bizarre and your own. Nobody here can help you, just do whatever you think is best for you.

But don't come to Atlanta. We don't need more people. Seriously, we're full.
I actually like that Dallas has a cowboy, football and Lone Star cultural thing to it, It is one of the characteristics that makes Dallas unique amongst large major metro areas. Fellow/neighboring Metroplex urban core city Fort Worth appears to be even more heavily into the cowboy and Lone Star culture than Dallas.

Though the Auto Racing, Corporate Finance and Logistics cultures play major roles in the city's life, Charlotte is a diverse Southeastern metropolis that is not really dominated by any one particular cultural genre.

That is excellent advice that the OP needs to do whatever he thinks is best for him.

I think that the OP's metrics of measuring quality-of-life in cities may be heavily affected by his stated desire to move to Dallas.

I do not think that the OP really truly has anything personal against Atlanta. I just think that the OP is extremely motivated to steer his wife and family towards moving to Dallas and has come here starting a thread with the negative title "What are families most complained about problems living in ATL Metro" so that he can build a case against to moving to Atlanta to present to his wife whom he stated likes Atlanta more.

I just think that the OP knows that his family likely is getting ready to move out of Tampa no matter what and that he wants to make sure that the family moves to Dallas when they do move... But that his wife's current preference of Atlanta is the thing that is standing in the way of he and the family moving to Dallas where he clearly would like to move to like he has stated.

And I do think that it is possible for the OP to build and present a positive case to his wife for moving to Dallas without having to be negative about Atlanta.

Even with the continuing boom in population, a city/metro Atlanta can always use more people who want to live in and enjoy the city and surrounding area. We just (like any other city) don't need people to move here if they do not really want to be here.

If the OP wants to move to Dallas, then he needs to make the case to his wife to move to Dallas.

The OP just does not need to (and should not) recruit Atlanta residents to give him ideas to make the case against the city to his wife.

The OP did not start a thread asking what were the positives of living in Atlanta... The OP started a thread asking Atlantans what the biggest negatives are about living in Atlanta.

Whether intentionally or not, the OP basically started a troll thread to help him get evidence to build a case to present to his wife against moving to Atlanta... And that is not something that can be or should be overlooked in basically asking people to put down their own city by giving him a long and elaborate list of negatives about their own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta