Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 15,295 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I'm mulling an offer to take an open position in my company that happens to be in Atlanta. I've skimmed and haven't come across someone else in my position so I figured I'd open my own thread and seek some of your knowledge but also give as much info about my situation as possible.

Me:
Married
Early 30's
Currently living in Metro DC
120-135k income (Mine alone) - She's is estimated to tack on another 45-55k
No kids currently but within the next 1-2 years.

1. Budget: $1300 - 1700
2. House/Condo/Townhome: Right now we would like a 2BR apartment/condo/Townhome with hardwood floors and updated appliances, bathroom, etc
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): Work from home for me, she will commute (Teacher).
4. Children(public school vs. private): N/A currently
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Prefer a mix of the two but would like no more than a 30-40 minute drive into downtown on weekends/later evenings and night.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - N/A
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - N/A

I've asked some friends that have said Sandy Springs/Dunwoody but I want to research as many areas as possible.

All help is appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by ItsNecessary; 03-27-2018 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Added Bolds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,258,142 times
What part of Atlanta would the job be?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What part of Atlanta would the job be?
Work from home.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:27 PM

9,866 posts, read 7,319,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNecessary View Post
Work from home.
But you have to move? That's odd.

If you want a suburban/urban mix that is also a nice area, Sandy Springs would be a good bet, for sure.

I like the areas west of 400. Powers Ferry, Mt Vernon, Roswell Rd, the west half of Hammond.

Not a big fan of Perimeter Center. It's like all the traffic of urban, with all the boring cookie cutter of suburbia.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But you have to move? That's odd.

If you want a suburban/urban mix that is also a nice area, Sandy Springs would be a good bet, for sure.

I like the areas west of 400. Powers Ferry, Mt Vernon, Roswell Rd, the west half of Hammond.

Not a big fan of Perimeter Center. It's like all the traffic of urban, with all the boring cookie cutter of suburbia.
Appreciate the input. The "Have to move" part is because it's a Consulting/Sales position that has a territory of Georgia.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 PM

9,866 posts, read 7,319,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNecessary View Post
Appreciate the input. The "Have to move" part is because it's a Consulting/Sales position that has a territory of Georgia.
Ah, gotcha. No problem.

Yeah, just get yourself a 2-bedroom apartment on Glenridge Dr in Sandy Springs, slightly inside the perimeter (285). With a 12-month lease. Should be able to find something in your budget. There are at least 5-6 complexes there to choose from, and all are nice. I used to live at one of them, had a great experience.

That area's a good starting point/ launching point for newcomers to the metro area, because it's centrally located and you can really get anywhere you need to pretty easily.

And it's near Buckhead and a lot of good restaurants all along Roswell Rd in both directions (and I mean some really good gems you can find). But is still has suburban amenities and is a lot quieter than in-town.

Then after 12 months, you'll know what you like and don't like, and if you want more urban you can move south into the city, and if you want more suburban you can move outside the perimeter.

Marietta is really nice, too. There are cultural spots and walkable downtowns OTP, as well as ITP.

And if you want to live in a more city area (more like DC) where you can do quite a lot of walking, that would be Downtown/Midtown/Eastside Beltline (Old Fourth Ward, etc), Decatur. But most of that is really expensive for 2-bedrooms.

All kind of depends on what you like.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,789,543 times
I agree with west side of Sandy Springs as well as Smyrna - so basically anything west of GA 400 and just past I-75.

I spent the last few days in Sandy Springs and that traffic is beyond horrible especially going north on GA 400 but it quickly starts to clear up as you head west. I should qualify that and say relative to Atlanta - it is still a lot of traffic but not painful stop and go.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 AM

Thanks again for the input. I did some quick searching, looks like Smyrna and southern Marietta are nice options.

Any complexes or property recommendations?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,964,402 times
Does your wife know where she will be teaching? Since she will have the M-F drive it might be best to figure that part out and choose your housing option based on her commute.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:47 AM

927 posts, read 2,231,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Does your wife know where she will be teaching? Since she will have the M-F drive it might be best to figure that part out and choose your housing option based on her commute.
this.

If she's open to any school district/school, I would still pin down the specific school before settling somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta