Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:36 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,376,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller247 View Post
I know Compound night club in West midtown has gay night every first Friday of each month same with Opera night club. They do gay night every 3rd Saturday. So I believe midtown is and will continue to be the epicenter for gay culture in Atlanta.
Yeah, but it would be nice to have other choices in Atlanta. Weren't people saying that downtown closes early and tourists have to go elsewhere for fun? If we have McGill as another happening area, they wouldn't have to go too far...not that Midtown is far or that area off of Edgewood that has a few joints, o4w, etc. They could walk from their hotel. I haven't been to either club you mentioned. Perhaps I will look them up.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 AM

23,503 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Yeah, but it would be nice to have other choices in Atlanta. Weren't people saying that downtown closes early and tourists have to go elsewhere for fun? If we have McGill as another happening area, they wouldn't have to go too far...not that Midtown is far or that area off of Edgewood that has a few joints, o4w, etc. They could walk from their hotel. I haven't been to either club you mentioned. Perhaps I will look them up.
Entertainment districts seldom remain static in this town, and the changes in any neighborhood can be fast and furious. Look how quickly the fortunes rose and fell for Underground, gay Midtown and the Buckhead party district. Areas that were virtual ghost towns like Castleberry Hill, Memorial Drive and Old Fourth Ward have entertainment scenes that sprung up like mushrooms. The entertainment landscape of Downtown, Midtown et al will look completely different in 10 years.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,376,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Entertainment districts seldom remain static in this town, and the changes in any neighborhood can be fast and furious. Look how quickly the fortunes rose and fell for Underground, gay Midtown and the Buckhead party district. Areas that were virtual ghost towns like Castleberry Hill, Memorial Drive and Old Fourth Ward have entertainment scenes that sprung up like mushrooms. The entertainment landscape of Downtown, Midtown et al will look completely different in 10 years.
I agree and looking forward to what I'm hoping to be a resurrection of the Al-Mc area. I don't know if it was something in the past but hope it will be something again. As for Midtown, I keep hearing the property values are kicking a lot of gay bars/clubs out and so that's why I look forward to other areas coming up. I think it will add something to the mix.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 AM

783 posts, read 1,164,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I had friends who lived there through the years. Visiting was always an adventure. If those apartments came with window blinds, nobody knew how to use them.

That's what I remember. Wasn't there long. And What was the name of the levy / leather bar that was on the the corner? Texas Drilling Company? Southeast Meat Company?

I remember hardly anything about where things were.

Velvet was on Park Place at John Wesley Dobbs, next to the GP Building. I think the GSU Law School is there now?

Weekends was on Peachtree between 10th and 11th (Federal Reserve now) when I went there in the mid-80s. The Theatrical Outfit was next door. And a drag bar I can't remember the name of? Sweet Gum Head? Geez I'm getting old!

WHERE IS ICONOGRAPHER WHEN YOU NEED HER!
Okay, I was just passing through and saw the name Sweet Gum Head... this bar was like behind or in back of another building on Cheshire Bridge Road, their parking lot was connected to the back parking lot of the Varsity Jr. on Lindbergh Drive.

I had no idea at the time when I'd cross through there walking home to La Maison Apartments across on Lenox Road (basically behind Dunk-N-Dine) but the Sweet Gum Head was a favorite place for the earliest punk rockers, including members of the Sex Pistols to hang out at (they dd their famous show just over at Broadvew Plaza in 1978, after all).

Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 56,563 times
https://whatnowatlanta.com/future-at...ound-downtown/

UNDERGROUND ATLANTA TO GET 'FUTURE,' A 14,000-SQUARE-FOOT CABARET AND DANCE CLUB

Old 09-07-2018, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT6789 View Post
https://whatnowatlanta.com/future-at...ound-downtown/

UNDERGROUND ATLANTA TO GET 'FUTURE,' A 14,000-SQUARE-FOOT CABARET AND DANCE CLUB
Excellent news, UA would make a great nightlife district. No residences around to complain.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 AM

23,503 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Excellent news, UA would make a great nightlife district. No residences around to complain.
Perhaps they could rename UA to Atlanta Down Low.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 AM

145 posts, read 93,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Perhaps they could rename UA to Atlanta Down Low.
I get the joke, but it's offensive to many gay people, especially gay black men. It implies that they are all in the closet while leading a double life as a married straight man.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:42 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,433,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
I get the joke, but it's offensive to many gay people, especially gay black men. It implies that they are all in the closet while leading a double life as a married straight man.
Not necessarily leading a double life but a much higher percentage of gay black men are still in the closet, primarily because of the unfortunately lower rates of acceptance of gay people within the black community. To many it seems like a sign of weakness or that they would be seen as less of a man if they were known to be gay.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,539,787 times
Back to topic, please. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta