Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 09:43 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post

I believe in a couple of years Lambert High will be majority Asian as its feeder middle school (Riverwatch) is already majority Asian (Asians 49%, whites 38%). South Forsyth High will soon follow Lambert to become majority Asian due to the fact that most of its feeder elementary schools are already majority Asian.

Due to the increase of Asians in Forsyth, Lambert and South Forsyth will be as competitive as Northview.
I think what you say here is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
The figures you have pointed out are out of date. If you got them from Schooldigger or a third party website, then the figures are two years old. According to the most recent figures from GA DOE, Walton is 19% Asian, South Forsyth is 24% Asian, Lambert is 28% Asian, Cambridge is 11% Asian, Alpharetta is 21% Asian, Chattahoochee is 26% Asian, Johns Creek is 26% Asian, Northview is 51% Asian, Duluth is 16% Asian, North Gwinnett is 23% Asian, Parkview is 21% Asian, Peachtree Ridge is 27% Asian and Brookwood is 17% Asian.

The bull’s eye of Asian Atlanta.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
The figures you have pointed out are out of date. If you got them from Schooldigger or a third party website, then the figures are two years old. According to the most recent figures from GA DOE, Walton is 19% Asian, South Forsyth is 24% Asian, Lambert is 28% Asian, Cambridge is 11% Asian, Alpharetta is 21% Asian, Chattahoochee is 26% Asian, Johns Creek is 26% Asian, Northview is 51% Asian, Duluth is 16% Asian, North Gwinnett is 23% Asian, Parkview is 21% Asian, Peachtree Ridge is 27% Asian and Brookwood is 17% Asian.

I believe in a couple of years Lambert High will be majority Asian as its feeder middle school (Riverwatch) is already majority Asian (Asians 49%, whites 38%). South Forsyth High will soon follow Lambert to become majority Asian due to the fact that most of its feeder elementary schools are already majority Asian.

Due to the increase of Asians in Forsyth, Lambert and South Forsyth will be as competitive as Northview.
What are the Asian percentages of...

Chamblee High,
West Forsyth High,
Roswell High,
Milton High,
Centennial High,
Dunwoody High,
and North Springs High?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 PM

290 posts, read 369,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Chamblee High,
West Forsyth High,
Roswell High,
Milton High,
Centennial High,
Dunwoody High,
and North Springs High?
This is the website I got my statistics from. https://app.doe.k12.ga.us/ows-bin/ow...sex.entry_form

Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 PM

290 posts, read 369,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Chamblee High,
West Forsyth High,
Roswell High,
Milton High,
Centennial High,
Dunwoody High,
and North Springs High?
These High Schools do not have a huge Asian population. Roswell is 4% Asian as well as Centennial. The only high schools in the list you mentioned that has a decent Asian population is Milton High school which is 11% Asian and Chamble Charter at 12% Asian. I also believe there will be an increase of Asians in West Forsyth especially an increase in the desi population.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
These High Schools do not have a huge Asian population. Roswell is 4% Asian as well as Centennial. The only high schools in the list you mentioned that has a decent Asian population is Milton High school which is 11% Asian and Chamble Charter at 12% Asian. I also believe there will be an increase of Asians in West Forsyth especially an increase in the desi population.
I knew their Asian populations were smaller, but I wanted to see the extent or “gradual-ness” of the Asian population drop off from the bull’s eye.

I wonder what will be the Asian percentage of Denmark High’s population.

Oh, and thanks.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:19 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
...Well all the better if one is looking to locate their family into an area with a high Asian population.

The numbers I quote are from websites like Niche and Great Schools, which are usually about a year or two behind and certainly are not as up-to-date as the enrollment and demographic figures on the Georgia Department of Education website which are updated twice each school year (at the beginning of October and at the beginning of March of each school year).

But even if the numbers on websites like Niche and Great Schools may not necessarily be as completely up-to-date as the numbers on the Georgia DoE website, the numbers still are extremely useful in giving one a really good idea of where the demographics are in any given school district and/or cluster.

Quote:
That is a good observation about the extremely heavy Asian population at a school like Riverwatch Middle School. Though with Asian students currently making up 49% (48.8% to be more exact) of Riverwatch Middle School's student body, the school is officially 'plurality-Asian' meaning that Asians are the largest racial group at the school but do not make up more than 50% of the school's student population. A group has to make up more than 50% of a population to be a majority.

Also, though, I do not have any doubt that the student body at schools like Lambert and South Forsyth could one day become majority-Asian (especially given the exploding Asian populations at the elementary and middle schools in South Forsyth County), with student body populations that are currently just under 28% Asian and just over 60% white at Lambert High School, and 24% Asian and over 58% white at South Forsyth High School, the student bodies at schools like Lambert and South Forsyth are probably more than just a couple of years away from becoming 'majority-Asian' (over 50% Asian) or even 'plurality-Asian' (where Asians are the largest racial group but not a 50%-plus majority).

The Asian populations are exploding in the Lambert and South Forsyth clusters and may very well be 'plurality-Asian' and/or even 'majority-Asian' one day, but those days are likely still more than just 2 years away at this point in time.

Quote:
I agree that the exploding Asian populations at schools like Lambert and South Forsyth have only helped to make those schools even that much more competitive than they already might have been otherwise.

Heck, Lambert and South Forsyth are already extremely competitive schools that are regarded are some of the absolute best public high schools in the state of Georgia and in the Southeastern U.S.

Though, I am somewhat skeptical that the social and academic cultures at schools like Lambert and South Forsyth will ever quite fully evolve into the ridiculously (even insanely) academically competitive social culture and extremely vigorous academic culture of a school like Northview High School which is pretty unique in its vigorous social and academic culture amongst public schools anywhere, particularly in the Southeastern U.S.

There just are not too many public schools around that have the reputation of being as academically vigorous and academically intense as a school like Northview High School.

I agree that schools like Lambert and South Forsyth will continue to improve their academic statistics as their Asian populations boom and explode. But I am skeptical that their academic environments will ever evolve to the level of intensity as a school like Northview which has a reputation in many circles as being too academically vigorous and too academically intense for some parents, students and families.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:44 PM

15 posts, read 14,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
But the North Fulton and South Forsyth schools are not such a viable option for the OP's rush hour commute to and from his job at the Atlanta Airport area... Though, if the OP really wanted to explore the North Fulton/South Forsyth option, he could look into whether using public bus and rail transit to and from his job at the ATL Airport (by way of driving his own vehicle or using a commuter bus to the North Springs MARTA Station and the MARTA Red Line train to the Airport and vice versa in the afternoon/evening) potentially would be a viable option as other posters have suggested.

A rush hour commute between Gwinnett schools with exceptional academic reputations and very high Asian populations (like North Gwinnett and Peachtree Ridge high schools which are very conveniently located near the OP's wife's job in Duluth) and the OP's job at the Airport also potentially might be viable if the OP is willing to utilize park-and-ride bus transit and MARTA rail transit and if there is a last-mile transit connection between the MARTA Gold Line train and the OP's job.
I am not opposed to MARTA as an option. The company has a shuttle from the Airport and I can utilize that. From google maps, it says around 15-20 minutes from Dunwoody to the North train station or Peach tree city to Doraville station. And MARTA ride for both Red and Gold line is 40 minutes to reach airport. Is that accurate?

Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 PM

15 posts, read 14,637 times
Quote:

A lot more than I expected. Thanks for the website from your other comment!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:15 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokertrax View Post
I am not opposed to MARTA as an option. The company has a shuttle from the Airport and I can utilize that. From google maps, it says around 15-20 minutes from Dunwoody to the North train station or Peach tree city to Doraville station. And MARTA ride for both Red and Gold line is 40 minutes to reach airport. Is that accurate?
Roughly about 15-20 minutes (give or take a few minutes depending on traffic conditions) from parts of Dunwoody to either the Sandy Springs, North Springs or Dunwoody MARTA stations sounds about right.

Though I think that you mean about 20 minutes or so (depending on traffic conditions) from the "Peachtree Corners" area to the Doraville MARTA Station.

(...Do not confuse Peachtree Corners with Peachtree City. Peachtree Corners is the somewhat close-in Northside suburb with a moderately high Asian population (of about 9% or so) adjoining Norcross in Gwinnett County, while Peachtree City is the Southside outer suburb with a more modest Asian population of about 6% or so in Fayette County.)

If you want to explore living in South Forsyth or North Fulton counties (an area with an extremely high and exploding Asian population that would be a very good fit for your family sans the distance from your job at the Airport), you could:

> Consider either utilizing the GRTA Xpress commuter bus shuttle from a park-and-ride lot off Old Atlanta Road in Cumming to the Sandy Springs MARTA Station where you would catch the MARTA Red Line train to the Airport (and vice-versa in the afternoon/evening)...

GRTA Xpress Route 401 Cumming to Perimeter Center
Route 401 – Cumming to Perimeter Center | Xpress

> Or you could drive to the Park-and-Ride lot off Georgia 400 at Windward Parkway and North Point Parkway and catch a MARTA express commuter bus to the North Springs MARTA Station where you would catch the MARTA Red Line train to the Airport area (and vice-versa in the afternoon/evening)...

MARTA Route 143 Windward Park & Ride
MARTA

> Or you could drive on Georgia 400 Southbound to the North Springs MARTA Station where you would catch the MARTA Red Line train to the Airport area (and vice-versa in the afternoon/evening)...

North Springs MARTA Station
MARTA

Utilizing bus and rail transit to and from your job at the Airport could enable you and your family to live in an area with a very high and fast-growing Asian population (like North Fulton/South Forsyth counties or even the Duluth, Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnett school clusters of Gwinnett County) served by the highest-rated schools.

The important thing is that you have multiple options that you can utilize to live in the type of neighborhood and public school environments that you might desire. Those options may not be completely perfect, but they do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta