Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Did anybody see the news about that elderly woman who was arrested for a supposedly improper lane change?

In my opinion that officer went totally over the top. Apparently he has resigned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Lf...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 12:10 PM

23 posts, read 39,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
did anybody see the news about that elderly woman who was arrested for a supposedly improper lane change?

In my opinion that officer went totally over the top. Apparently he has resigned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60lf...ature=youtu.be
oohhhhh wow after what happened in henry county,now this!!!!!

Old 05-13-2018, 01:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
The officer (3rd) who resigned was the one who told her to ****. The 2nd officer was trying to deescalate the situation.

The first officer was an ass for writing the ticket in the first place. This should have been a warning. 2nd, she told him that signing the ticket was admission of guilt. She already asked for a supervisor so why did he threaten her with arrest for failure to sign and disorderly conduct? The both made a mountain of a mole hill.

Thankfully, it was dash cam footage unlike some counties ( Gwinnett) so they can't say that grandma was lying on the officers.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
In no universe should that have been a warning. She totally drifted into his Lane. Had he not swerved, she would have hit him. That should definitely not only be a ticket, but an expensive one.

Plus, you guys are insane. This lady refuses to sign a ticket, after the officer explains that it's not an admission of guilt. That's why you have a court date, that's where your guilt is determined. Then she is combative and does not follow a police officer's orders.

As far as I'm concerned, she's lucky she didn't get pepper sprayed and tased. Especially since she was talking to him through a rolled up tinted window. He doesn't know what's behind that. I'm totally against improper arrests, shootings, etc....but come on. People have to understand what police officers are doing. The time and place to fight against it is court. Everything that happened here, she did to herself. The cop probably resigned because he doesn't want to be an officer anymore where this is even controversial, and I don't blame him.

Last edited by ATLTJL; 05-13-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The cop probably resigned because he doesn't want to be an officer anymore where this is even controversial, and I don't blame him.
Naw, he resigned so if the chief did anything, it would not affect his P.O.S.T certification. If you resign, you are fine for the most part hence why most cops resign once they are under investigation. Another department will go ahead and hire him.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Why can't cops simply issue a traffic ticket and move on? Unless the person is under the influence or otherwise impaired it seems like a waste of time to stand around haggling over whether the driver has signed it. The ticket goes into the computer automatically and if you don't show up for traffic court you lose.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Why can't cops simply issue a traffic ticket and move on? Unless the person is under the influence or otherwise impaired it seems like a waste of time to stand around haggling over whether the driver has signed it. The ticket goes into the computer automatically and if you don't show up for traffic court you lose.
Technically, you signing the ticket is your "bail." If you don't sign it, you have to go in front of a judge for them to set your bail so I have no problem with him requesting her signature or taking her to jail for it.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Technically, you signing the ticket is your "bail." If you don't sign it, you have to go in front of a judge for them to set your bail so I have no problem with him requesting her signature or taking her to jail for it.
I know but haggling over a signature still seems like a waste of time in the modern era. The ticket is in the computer and if the driver fails to show up (or make other arrangements), bam.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
That is an excellent question.

From what has been reported, the Alpharetta cop needed a signature in lieu of cash bond to let the motorist go without placing her under arrest and having her pay a cash bond at the jail.

The reporting says that requiring a signature on the traffic citation in lieu of cash bond at the jail (a signature bond) is supposed to be a practice that is required by Georgia state law which reportedly requires police officers to arrest motorists and have them bond out of the jail with a cash payment if they refuse to sign their traffic citations.

I personally cannot confirm if this reporting is correct because I personally have not received a traffic citation since at least about 2008 or 2009 and I cannot exactly remember whether or not I personally was directed to sign the traffic citations that I had been given at the time and before.

I think that I might have been required to sign the traffic citations that I had received at that time and before, but I honestly cannot remember the exact instances of signing the traffic citations which seem to be overshadowed by the fines I paid.

Hopefully someone else who has received a traffic citation more recently can confirm whether or not the reporting on the law that requires to motorists to sign traffic citations in lieu of cash bond is correct.

Which is the reporting on that law is correct, I do not think that it is a law that is unique to Georgia. I think that the requirement that motorists sign traffic citations in lieu of the payment of cash bonds at the jail might be something that is the law in other states.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Okay saw what I needed to see.
1) She did come over into his lane and it appeared as if she did not self correct quickly enough. She's a Lyft driver? That's scary but I guess I shouldn't base her driving skills off this one incident.

2) She should have signed the ticket because she was at fault.

I can't tell you how many drivers, especially in Atlanta (not the Metro I mean Atlanta), do not stay in their lane. They don't check their blind spot. They come into your lane and take a long time before getting back into theirs. It happens way too often and they cause accidents that take up your time and energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta