Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,284,143 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear it will be rail, and on its own new tracks.

This is exactly what we need for Cobb, as our transit 'spine'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 06:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,905,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You got to start somewhere when planing large networks for the long term.

It's like the people that keep complaining about the streetcar only being a couple miles yet less than five years after it opened we are now finalizing plans to extend it to Emory and Greenbriar Mall.
Skip extending LRT to Greenbriar Mall and use those funds for Southside BeltLine Rail.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,905,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Clayton County has the blueprint on how to join MARTA and get 1/2 the sales tax set aside for a project like this.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:19 AM

6,581 posts, read 12,089,120 times
Quote:

Well if building new tracks from scratch works out for Clayton, then maybe Cobb can follow instead of trying to negotiate with CSX for sharing the W&ARR line.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well if building new tracks from scratch works out for Clayton, then maybe Cobb can follow instead of trying to negotiate with CSX for sharing the W&ARR line.
CSX has been open to the idea though, I've heard.

Some combo of the 2 is probably appropriate for the W&A line thru Cobb - new tracks, mostly separated from freight, but maybe some occasional sharing thru tight spots. Like thru Vinings:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8658...7i13312!8i6656

I can see 2 tracks here, I don't know about about 3 though. I guess it could be possible.

Anyway, a nice DMU based system like the TexRail, would be great. With a stop at the Marietta Square.

Of course, Cobb doesn't have an East Point type station to easily terminate at, on the mainline. So it would pretty much have to be Five Points. Or maybe the NW Beltline to Armour, but that's kind of out of the way.

We need to join MARTA and put 1/2 towards bus, 1/2 towards rail, just like Clayton did. Cobb and Gwinnett both.

And DeKalb needs commuter rail to their towns, like Tucker and Stone Mountain. An additional 1/2 penny.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:41 AM

296 posts, read 220,829 times
Quote:
Of course, Cobb doesn't have an East Point type station to easily terminate at, on the mainline. So it would pretty much have to be Five Points. Or maybe the NW Beltline to Armour, but that's kind of out of the way.
It'd be a real shame if all of these potential projects ultimately suck because there's nowhere downtown for them to terminate. If only there were a piece of land in a nice location downtown that happened to be owned by an entity that has something at stake in the transit game . . .

Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 AM

198 posts, read 149,273 times
Good to see Clayton thinking forward and not like other counties thinking backwards

Old 07-14-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
It'd be a real shame if all of these potential projects ultimately suck because there's nowhere downtown for them to terminate. If only there were a piece of land in a nice location downtown that happened to be owned by an entity that has something at stake in the transit game . . .
And with Tilford being on the market, there's an opportunity for another great TOD commuter rail station in City of Atlanta, along the CSX line. I'm sure Bolton/Riverside/Hills Park/Whittier Mill would love to have a commuter rail stop within walking distance. That would be halfway between the Cumberland station and Downtown.

Phase 1 of the line could be 5 quality stations:

Five Points/ Stadium District
Bolton/ Riverside
Cumberland
Windy Hill/ Smyrna
Marietta

Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,756,377 times
How effective would commuter rail be with so many stops within short distances? I feel like it could work, but anyone north of Southlake Mall relying on a service that only runs every hour is gonna have an issue. North Clayton is as dense as most of the current HRT service area. I hope this works out though, any form of transit is better than none.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:09 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,702,597 times
Quote:

Cobb needs quite a bit more than Clayton does in the form of transit, including much more of a spine.

I agree that Clayton is / will be the model for commuter rail within the core-five counties- I've been saying as much since 2014 -but, Cobb has quite a bit more going on than Clayton. 300+ more people per square mile, stronger nodes, and more active corridors.

All of this results in Cobb both having the resources to do, and needing much more than just commuter rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
No, but, that place is just so ugly! Obviously we should give it all up for development now with no regard for the potential high-speed rail, interstate rail, intercity rail, commuter rail, heavy rail, light rail, streetcars, interstate bus, intercity bus, commuter bus, bus rapid transit, local bus, or community circulator services that could use it in addition to new development.

I mean, it's not like there's anything happening with transit going to that area anyway! As long as you ignore the planned and partially funded commuter rail line, the existing heavy rail lines, the soon-to-be funded light rail line, the soon-to-be funded bus rapid transit line, the existing local bus lines, the existing commuter bus lines, the existing Amtrak service, and the existing Megabus and Greyhound services. But see, there's no point in putting in such a central hub for everyone to make use of!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta