Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times

Advertisements

Clayton is perfect for commuter rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,753,076 times
Hopefully the addition of rail can revive projects like this https://www.myajc.com/business/new-l...jZw2C8T3foCPI/
Clayton County Development Authority

Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,893,568 times
Quote:
The 22-mile line would connect MARTA’s East Point station to Jonesboro and Lovejoy along the existing Norfolk Southern railroad right of way. The diesel-powered trains could be bigger and faster than MARTA’s existing electric rail vehicles and comparable to commuter railroads found in cities like Chicago, Boston, New York and Seattle.

MARTA also may upgrade bus service on a busy Clayton County route.

The transit plans – to be considered by the MARTA Board of Directors next month – could give thousands of commuters quicker access to major job centers like downtown Atlanta and Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

And after decades of stagnation, the moves are another sign that MARTA is preparing for a major expansion deep into the region’s suburbs – in part by offering new types of transit. Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties and Atlanta are all planning transit expansions.
Quote:
The diesel-powered commuter trains would differ from MARTA’s existing “heavy rail” electric trains. Commuter trains can seat up to 1,000 passengers, compared to 500 for MARTA’s existing trains. Commuter trains average 35 to 45 mph, vs. 30 to 35 mph for the existing ones.

The new line would parallel the Norfolk Southern tracks, using the same right of way. Parker said that would reduce construction costs, which have not been determined.

MARTA must still negotiate an agreement with Norfolk Southern to use the right of way - the railroad declined to comment. And the project must go through an environmental review before it can qualify for crucial federal funding.

But if all goes well, construction could begin in 2023, with the first passengers boarding in 2027.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...7K5NBSX-vCruD4

Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
One problem with all these projects is the environmental review process is just too long. How long have they talked about this? Now they approve it and it will still take 9 more years. That's an awfully long time to get politicians to promote these things or citizens to focus on them.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:00 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Default Commuter rail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
One problem with all these projects is the environmental review process is just too long. How long have they talked about this? Now they approve it and it will still take 9 more years. That's an awfully long time to get politicians to promote these things or citizens to focus on them.
Yes, but it's far more than just that. Don't forget that getting a deal hashed out with Norfolk-Southern is a major part of the equation too.
Via info I've gleaned from an inside N-S source, I have posted here before about the apparent strong intransigence of that railroad to want to budge & give an inch both literally & figuratively given that their rail corridor that flows through the center of Clayton County is the same corridor that MARTA hopes to use.
I voted for the penny sales tax increase for Clayton County even though I knew that rail service between it & Atlanta would come online long after I had retired & could benefit me via daily usage. Nevertheless, metro Atlanta is choking to death on traffic & alternatives to the car need to be a part of the solution.
The AJC article from March linked below reveals that as recently as last spring, uncertainty over the N-S corridor has caused other options to be brought into the mix for consideration. So, the timetable for MARTA rail coming to Clayton is certainly down the road.

https://www.myajc.com/news/local-gov...wPvKDOywK8DXN/

Last edited by atler8; 10-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: left out a link

Old 10-19-2018, 02:45 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
Hopefully Cobb County officials are paying attention to this, and hopefully City of Atlanta and MARTA and CIM are looking at a commuter rail station in the Gulch. We need a similar diesel commuter line of our own, from Acworth to Downtown Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,893,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Hopefully Cobb County officials are paying attention to this, and hopefully City of Atlanta and MARTA and CIM are looking at a commuter rail station in the Gulch. We need a similar diesel commuter line of our own, from Acworth to Downtown Atlanta.
Unfortunately Cobb Co officials think they can everything better themselves.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times
Quote:
Cobb Co officials have expressed favorability to commuter rail, as well as a transit referendum in general, and participating in the ATL regional system.

And under the rules of that system, any rail-based transit has to be MARTA.

So hopefully the Gwinnett referendum will succeed, and Cobb will look at that model, and how they did up the contract that got the approval of the Gwinnett Co leadership. And their own plan, conceived by them.

And just look at Clayton for the possibility of how commuter rail would operate.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:10 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
They seem to want to have a separate, insular system. I think their employment patterns are very interconnected so that doesn't make sense. They don't all work in Cobb or downtown.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,699,987 times
Quote:

I have it from the head of Cobb's DOT himself that Cobb would love integrated commuter rail, but they don't think it's a reality. That is, they don't see enough action on it in the metro to believe it's a reality.

Sound familiar? *cough cough MMPT Detractors & Greenlight the Gulch Peeps cough cough*

It makes me wonder how many counties around the metro feel the same way, and just aren't talking to each other. Like, they all think they're the only ones who actually want commuter rail, and that everyone else doesn't really care / is just giving lip service.

Makes me wonder how much could be done if they, I dunno, actually bothered trying to work together on some kind of multi-county agreement to fund a system, perhaps via the ATL legislation & with MARTA & GRTA as operators?

I know cooporation is a novel concept in the Balkanized mess that is the Atlanta Metro, but come on, the potential is right there:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta