Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...217004380.html
There is no excuse for pushing someone in front of a train, bus, truck, or car.
But I wish more riders would pay attention to their surroundings and realize that every MARTA Station platform has an overhang where people can safely avoid getting struck by a train if they fall into the tracks.
Yes. Last night I watched an entire news report that only focused on automated door systems between the tracks and the platform.

Never mentioned was, "How about not standing 6 inches from the tracks?"

I always stand near the opposite wall and never am close enough for anything like this to happen to me.

Common sense seems to be on the decline.

How many times have you seen a latino mother with a stroller standing 6" from rushing cars at an intersection? People are just stupid not realizing the luck they are pushing.

Same with smoke-detectors in homes. Many of my friends say I would wake up if there was a fire.

Regarding the Atlanta-specific non-stop crime:

The local news is just one story after another of car-jackings, robberies, and new scams invented right here in Atlanta.

Georgia has 3rd highest armed robbery rate in the country.

And if you think other cities experience daily acts of people shooting convenience store clerks caught on video or sliders at gas stations driving off in other people's cars...

I've got news for you, they don't. Atlanta is the only place where this is considered normal almost.

I finally came to terms with all of the inconsiderate, animal behavior here by considering myself as living in some exotic foreign country where the things that I get from living here are worth putting up with so much that is worse than in other American cities.

That helps me a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcytpirt View Post
But down 30% over the last 30 days compared to 2017. And the 14% translates to 57 vs 50. And the uptick seems to be in Zone 1 which is a 57% increase over last year. And last year was a 26% drop YOY, so we are probably statistically on downward trend. And most other violent crimes are either down or statistically the same from years past. So, I would say you need to provide more context to your statistics.
I remember in the early 90's one May there were 29 murders in Atlanta, almost one a day.

Probably more occur now but Atlanta was 1/2 as big back then, imagine driving 75mph through downtown on the connector, which was the norm and fun.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Strange that the headlines never cease crime is down

Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I remember in the early 90's one May there were 29 murders in Atlanta, almost one a day.

Probably more occur now but Atlanta was 1/2 as big back then
Year-to-date murders are 57 for the first 6 months. Nowhere near one a day.

Quote:
imagine driving 75mph through downtown on the connector, which was the norm and fun.
I drive 75-80 on the connector all the time. As long as you don't hit it at peak time, which I rarely do, it's fine.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,370,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Pretty impressive that you managed to fit in anti-car sentiment into this thread.
I can just imagine all the Cobb residents who work in Atlanta...when it's time to leave work, they get their car from the parking garage/ parking lot/a residential street and as they're doing 65-80, sigh a breath of relief that they're going home where crime (such as muggings, shootings, etc) isn't seen as normal. They can walk in their neighborhoods and walk on the main roads and not have to constantly be looking over their shoulder. I bet right after they pass the Braves Stadium, there is an instant feeling of relief.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Yes. Last night I watched an entire news report that only focused on automated door systems between the tracks and the platform.

Never mentioned was, "How about not standing 6 inches from the tracks?"

I always stand near the opposite wall and never am close enough for anything like this to happen to me.

Common sense seems to be on the decline.

How many times have you seen a latino mother with a stroller standing 6" from rushing cars at an intersection? People are just stupid not realizing the luck they are pushing.

Same with smoke-detectors in homes. Many of my friends say I would wake up if there was a fire.

Regarding the Atlanta-specific non-stop crime:

The local news is just one story after another of car-jackings, robberies, and new scams invented right here in Atlanta.

Georgia has 3rd highest armed robbery rate in the country.

And if you think other cities experience daily acts of people shooting convenience store clerks caught on video or sliders at gas stations driving off in other people's cars...

I've got news for you, they don't. Atlanta is the only place where this is considered normal almost.

I finally came to terms with all of the inconsiderate, animal behavior here by considering myself as living in some exotic foreign country where the things that I get from living here are worth putting up with so much that is worse than in other American cities.

That helps me a lot.
Why single out Latino mothers? WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: