Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,757,589 times

Advertisements

Another think piece thread. Why do you guys think our infrastructure isn't as uniform and clean as cities like Dallas and Houston. Our traffic lights, street signs, sidewalks, etc, just don't ever seem uniform. Our suburbs do a little bit better but still not as good as other metros. It just doesn't make sense to me, do we use different companies every time we do an infrastructure project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,253,173 times
Sidewalks in Atlanta are often the responsibility of homeowners. I know this is the case with the hexagonal pavers in Inman Park. I think it's ridiculous, and it's probably the first thing I'd change about our city if I had my way.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:46 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,134,017 times
The CoA’s Public Works Department is notoriously incompetent.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:51 PM

184 posts, read 206,083 times
I was in Charlotte not too long ago, I thought the streets and sidewalks in their intown neighborhoods were so pretty and clean. No trees lifting up sidewalks, no dirty sidewalks, no dirty streets that look like they have had a million potholes paved over, it just looked way more classy. I don't know why Atlanta can't get that look, maybe as the city continues to gentrify and higher income people move in, the streets (and some overgrown yards) will clean up a bit. People have to care enough to complain about it to the people in charge.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:11 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,371,514 times
Well, we're in the deep south. The answer is likely "**** you, that's why".

Old 06-09-2018, 05:50 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,943,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I was in Charlotte not too long ago, I thought the streets and sidewalks in their intown neighborhoods were so pretty and clean. No trees lifting up sidewalks, no dirty sidewalks, no dirty streets that look like they have had a million potholes paved over, it just looked way more classy. I don't know why Atlanta can't get that look, maybe as the city continues to gentrify and higher income people move in, the streets (and some overgrown yards) will clean up a bit. People have to care enough to complain about it to the people in charge.
that's just the style. Atlanta has the natural look. Places like Houston and Dallas are manicured. Charlotte, as I recall, tends to be as well.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,757,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
that's just the style. Atlanta has the natural look. Places like Houston and Dallas are manicured. Charlotte, as I recall, tends to be as well.
Even New York, one of the grittiest cities in the US, has uniform infrastructure. And it isn’t falling apart (excluding MTA).

Old 06-09-2018, 06:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,169,052 times
Any city, it depends on where you go. Parts of Atlanta are beautiful and parts of it are ugly. Any other big city will be somewhat like that.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:04 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,229 times
Some of Houston's infrastructure is rough, but it is better overall than Atlanta's I think. One of the things I like more about Texas cities.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Some of Houston's infrastructure is rough, but it is better overall than Atlanta's I think. One of the things I like more about Texas cities.
Texans also have pride. Georgia was never proud of Atlanta. I think the DOT sucks here. The way streets are paved - you see straight lines that weave in and out of lanes. You see really dumb planning and construction of the highways and roads. At times roads may not have markings at all while being paved. Other states have more pride and quality of work. Colorado for example erected a major bridge over a 4 lane highway in 4 months. It was nice.

GA could not pull this off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta