Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
The use of the term "exotic" is kind of a loaded term in the African-American community, so step cautiously when using or discussing the term. Colorism still exists among some in the black community, and the use of the term "exotic" is plays into that mindset big time. For some blacks, dark skin=bad, white skin=good. However, while few blacks will openly admit they worship whiteness, glorifying black people and other people of color who have certain whiteish looking features is more palatable.

Unless you are prepared for the possibility of triggering very heated battles with warring sides, just avoid any discussion of this term with black people and forget you ever brought it up. If you can't help yourself and want to discuss it, just keep in mind how sensitive this topic can be for some in the black community.
It is a very loaded Term

The Colorism thing works both ways, Just as there clear discrimination against dark skin blacks by blacks themselves and general society. There also a reverse of darker skin black having hostile to lighter or mix blacks. basically just as there weird prise of being light skined, there also this assumption if your light skin you think your better, or they would try to discredit or excluded light skin blacks from anything related black American culture and etc. I remember going to a forum online and they pretty much used to the "exotic" or "exoticals" to insult light skin blacks. basically saying they aren't black enough.

Any one light skin should not accept being call that, cause either your being praise or insulted for being light skin. Either or it's ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 02:35 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
I've heard "exotic" used in a positive way to describe someone strikingly beautiful with unique features that are not just run-of-the-mill Caucasian or whatever.

Like I used to think when he was much younger, Dermot Mulroney had an "exotic" look about him, as if he could have been from Turkey or some other faraway land.

I woud love to be considered "exotic."

Last edited by wasel; 10-18-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 02:52 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I think I know what you mean. I've heard "exotic" used to describe people of color with light eyes. I remember people back in the day referring to Vanessa Williams (singer/former Miss America) as having an "exotic" look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Not a good word, my art teacher taught me exotic was a word use by white men who sexual viewed black women in a total sexual way with extra large body parts for their entertainment and enjoyment. We learned about this the word, exotic, before the feminist movement began and females demanded to be look at in not just a sexual way. This feminist movement was an awesome study, but the word exotic in its true sense ; for those who know history is not a positive portrayal of black women in the past.

Yes, light eyes is one of the things some people tend to see as exotic.

Yes, "exotic" used towards people has racist origins. Even when people today call certain places exotic, you can know that many of them are not just talking about the plants/animals, etc., of the country but also the people.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I've heard "exotic" used in a positive way to describe someone strikingly beautiful with unique features that are not just run-of-the-mill Caucasian or whatever.

Like I used to think when he was much younger, Dermot Mulroney had an "exotic" look about him, as if he could have been from Turkey or some other faraway land.

I believe for some it might be considered good because when they are called exotic, they are not being objectified and made into something lesser than human.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
Colorism is definitely a thing in Black communities. But, it is also an unspoken issue in many cultures throughout the world in which lighter carries certain contexts of privilege and darkness carries certain negative ideas. Then again it depends on "whose colorism." Darker can seem better than lighter, depending on the culture and background of someone- IE religious white tanners is just one quick and crude example. It's disappointing that we seem to only think about this when it comes to Black folk. But since you describe being in mostly white and/or black spaces DreamerD, I'd say I found more people in the South imply racial connotations (IE "mixed" is supposedly better, by both self-hating Black folk or pasty-hating White folk), whereas my social circles in Boston used exotic to describe a preference for Western and Central European Whites. It means lots of things by different people, but I also find that the two common denominators (when "exotic" is a problem) tend to be stated by people whose experiences with other cultures is provincial or by people who fetishize difference.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 AM

815 posts, read 708,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It is a very loaded Term

The Colorism thing works both ways, Just as there clear discrimination against dark skin blacks by blacks themselves and general society. There also a reverse of darker skin black having hostile to lighter or mix blacks. basically just as there weird prise of being light skined, there also this assumption if your light skin you think your better, or they would try to discredit or excluded light skin blacks from anything related black American culture and etc. I remember going to a forum online and they pretty much used to the "exotic" or "exoticals" to insult light skin blacks. basically saying they aren't black enough.

Any one light skin should not accept being call that, cause either your being praise or insulted for being light skin. Either or it's ridiculous
Yes this is such a good point and it's a shame. When you look back at history, so many light skinned blacks were instrumental in the Civil Rights movement. I think it can be harder for darker skinned blacks to accept that racism affects light skinned blacks just as badly because of resentment over the perceived advantages that in truth are only are only superficial. It must be hard to be fight so hard and care so much and not feeling accepted by the people you are fighting for and feel a kinship with.

I think light skinned blacks are in a unique position to speak out on racism and we all need to be coming together. I notice some biracial blacks are especially outspoken--I'm thinking of Colin Kaepernack (sp??)

Old 10-19-2018, 09:56 AM

This has been such a great discussion....

Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
If properly used, "exotic" is not offensive. If properly used..

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/exotic
Exactly.

I wonder if some people conflate "exotic" and "erotic"?

Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

I haven't heard it used much, but yes, it generally has a positive connotation. Unique, interesting and different in a positive way.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I haven't heard it used much, but yes, it generally has a positive connotation. Unique, interesting and different in a positive way.
Yeah, it's positive, but it's kind of like describing a black person as articulate. It's based in stereotypes. It can be a stereotype about what it means to look American or black or what-have-you. It's pretty much saying "you don't look like us" or "you don't look like them". Depending on who you're talking to, it can be a compliment or it can be an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: