Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:02 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Good stuff Aries. I had to think that there was some anomaly happening for Walker to be rated that high. Not dissing them, but higher than Fayette?

Side note.... I hate it when districts name a new high school the same name as one already existing in the state: Culprits: Lakeside in Columbia County (Lakeside, DeKalb was first) Woodland in Henry (Bartow had the first Woodland) and now this Heritage in Catoosa (Rockdale had one first). Northside, Central, etc, those are bound to happen but specific names like these?

Sequoyah in Cherokee was named some years after Sequoyah in DeKalb was relegated to middle school status. And Archer in Gwinnett came years after Archer in Atlanta had closed so I'll give them a pass. Can you think of others? Carver in Columbus and Atlanta, but I don't know who was first.
I agree. I think there are 2 Mt. Zion high schools as well. There's also a McIntosh and McIntosh County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Good stuff Aries. I had to think that there was some anomaly happening for Walker to be rated that high. Not dissing them, but higher than Fayette?

Side note.... I hate it when districts name a new high school the same name as one already existing in the state: Culprits: Lakeside in Columbia County (Lakeside, DeKalb was first) Woodland in Henry (Bartow had the first Woodland) and now this Heritage in Catoosa (Rockdale had one first). Northside, Central, etc, those are bound to happen but specific names like these?

Sequoyah in Cherokee was named some years after Sequoyah in DeKalb was relegated to middle school status. And Archer in Gwinnett came years after Archer in Atlanta had closed so I'll give them a pass. Can you think of others? Carver in Columbus and Atlanta, but I don't know who was first.

I don't like this either.

Remember, there is also the new Cherokee Bend High in Hall County. While not "exact" still pretty close to Cherokee High in Canton.

And--all the various Northsides...and some Westsides, Southsides, and Eastsides.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 PM

712 posts, read 701,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Lookie here:

https://www.masslive.com/expo/news/e...schools-w.html

I think the Metro Atlanta/Georgia schools stack up very well to the schools in the link above--especially considering the super-affluence in Massachusetts and Boston's "Golden Ring", the extremely high concentration of families in Mass working in top universities and tech, and New England towns' infamous, yet very effective, exclusionary zoning laws.
The Georgia schools are fine. That said, the Boston suburban districts bleed affluent students and their test scores to private schools far more than suburban Atlanta schools do. I have friends for whom Newton South (1285 average SAT) isn’t good enough. Their kid attends a boarding school. It’s not unusual at all. The Boston suburbs have a higher portion of kids attending private schools.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
The Georgia schools are fine. That said, the Boston suburban districts bleed affluent students and their test scores to private schools far more than suburban Atlanta schools do. I have friends for whom Newton South (1285 average SAT) isn’t good enough. Their kid attends a boarding school. It’s not unusual at all. The Boston suburbs have a higher portion of kids attending private schools.
I disagree--and I disagree that this makes a difference (when comparing).

The top two non-testing/non-specialized schools in the list, for example (Lexington and Acton-Boxborough) have minimal kids attending private schools.

And Boston's "Golden Ring" is way more affluent than Atlanta's suburbs (as described above).

And Walton High's district, for example--and believe or not, also has lot of private school children.

I could go on, but...not worth the/my time.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:26 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Wonder why they don't include the private schools in these reports. Or maybe they do?

Old 10-27-2018, 10:55 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
I don't like this either.

Remember, there is also the new Cherokee Bend High in Hall County. While not "exact" still pretty close to Cherokee High in Canton.

And--all the various Northsides...and some Westsides, Southsides, and Eastsides.
Yeah, it's understandable how the name of the new high school in Hall County (Cherokee Bluff High School), could be confused with the existing Cherokee High School in Canton in Cherokee County.

Though, the new Cherokee Bluff High School in Flowery Branch in Hall County is named after a local historical natural landmark (natural granite outcroppings at a nearby area being developed into a new park named Cherokee Bluffs Park).

It also should not be too unexpected that a new school would have the word Cherokee in its name seeing as though almost the entire northern third of the state of Georgia was part of the historical territory of the Cherokee tribe of Native American indigenous peoples.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yeah, it's understandable how the name of the new high school in Hall County (Cherokee Bluff High School), could be confused with the existing Cherokee High School in Canton in Cherokee County.

Though, the new Cherokee Bluff High School in Flowery Branch in Hall County is named after a local historical natural landmark (natural granite outcroppings at a nearby area being developed into a new park named Cherokee Bluffs Park).

It also should not be too unexpected that a new school would have the word Cherokee in its name seeing as though almost the entire northern third of the state of Georgia was part of the historical territory of the Cherokee tribe of Native American indigenous peoples.
Yes. I’m not too mad about Cherokee Bluff (said Bend above—my bad).

I do think it is a cool name.

Cherokee Bluff High School

Old 10-28-2018, 04:10 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Yes. I’m not too mad about Cherokee Bluff (said Bend above—my bad).

I do think it is a cool name.

Cherokee Bluff High School
Aside from the name, what is really interesting about the new Cherokee Bluff High School is that, while the school is 'new,' it is located in a physical facility that served as the building and campus for Flowery Branch High School for 9 years (from 2009 to 2018).

In 2009, Flowery Branch High School moved from its old facility near the Atlanta Falcons Training Facility to a new facility that is now serving as the facility for the new Cherokee Bluff High School.

In 2018, Flowery Branch High School was moved back to its old facility that it was in from 2002-2009, so that the 'new' Cherokee Bluff High School could use the facility that Flowery Branch High School used as its facility from 2009-2018.

It is an interesting 'switch-a-roo' in moving FBHS into a newly-constructed facility in 2009 and then moving it back to its old campus only 9 years later so that a 'new' high school (CBHS) could use the facility that FBHS had only moved into 9 years before, but I guess that the continued high rate of growth in southern Hall County necessitated the move.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:33 AM

712 posts, read 701,766 times
Quote:
I disagree--and I disagree that this makes a difference (when comparing).

The top two non-testing/non-specialized schools in the list, for example (Lexington and Acton-Boxborough) have minimal kids attending private schools.

And Boston's "Golden Ring" is way more affluent than Atlanta's suburbs (as described above).

And Walton High's district, for example--and believe or not, also has lot of private school children.

I could go on, but...not worth the/my time.
You could go on but you would still be wrong. Just a few examples, 17% of Weston (#5 in MA) students 26% of Brookline (#6 in MA) and 18% of Newton (#13 in MA) students attend private schools. MA overall has a higher portion of children attending private schools and there are no districts on the list from GA that have anywhere near the portion of children attending private school as those in suburban Boston.

Last edited by BR Valentine; 10-28-2018 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 08:13 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wonder why they don't include the private schools in these reports. Or maybe they do?
I was wondering the same thing. Did a very quick search and could not find data for the privates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta