Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The good news is they'll probably have the political power to stop this nonsense. The bad news is they'll be so turned off by this that they probably wouldn't support a transit line afterwards either.
Which would be a mistake, cause that would be a less disruptive expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

I-285 is not a viable alternate for metro residents whom i was referring to. It would add 30+ miles for anyone choosing it in lieu of I-75, I-85 or I-20 inside the perimeter.

And the distance of all the interstates inside the perimeter that would be bypassed in a small proportion of the 70+ mile breadth of the metro area.

Large circumference loops don’t make for reasonable alternates routes. They are used to get from one spoke (trunk) to another.

I-285 is full and crowded and flowing at posted speeds only for a couple of hours each weekday at the lowpoint after lunch, and 50% of that traffic is tractor-trailers.

A lot can be gleaned from just those two sentences.

An Alternate route is a way to get to the same destination within a reasonable distance and amount of time.

Someone in Kennesaw going into the city core has I-75 and that’s it. US41 with left-turn phases removed from intersections comes closer to a decent alternate.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yes, but is it the commuters fault that those areas which are largely unaffordable to not only the average citizen in Atlanta but also most of America just so happened to become job hubs and many of which are poorly or completely unserviced by transit?

In general, it wouldn't have mattered where those job hubs were located. They could have been placed in Snellville, and land-values in those areas would sky rocket, then basic supply and demand principals multiply, and eventually only the upper class can forsee abiding in those communities. Everyone WANTS to live closer to where they work, but not everyone can feasibly achieve this.
Until recently the areas around Midtown and Downtown were not desirable and one could live near those employment centers cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I-285 is not a viable alternate for metro residents whom i was referring to. It would add 30+ miles for anyone choosing it in lieu of I-75, I-85 or I-20 inside the perimeter.

And the distance of all the interstates inside the perimeter that would be bypassed in a small proportion of the 70+ mile breadth of the metro area.

Large circumference loops don’t make for reasonable alternates routes. They are used to get from one spoke (trunk) to another.

I-285 is full and crowded and flowing at posted speeds only for a couple of hours each weekday at the lowpoint after lunch, and 50% of that traffic is tractor-trailers.

An Alternate route is a way to get to the same destination within a reasonable distance and amount of time.

Someone in Kennesaw going into the city core has I-75 and that’s it. US41 with left-turn phases removed from intersections comes closer to a decent alternate.
Fortunately there will not be another alternative to the Downtown Connector other than 285.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:34 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Until recently the areas around Midtown and Downtown were not desirable and one could live near those employment centers cheaply
I'm speaking of Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter area, and Alpharetta which hold a large portion of the metros jobs. Everyone makes the assumption that when it comes to employment that drivers are commuting ITP and I find that to be the case approximately 30% of the time. I personally have never worked or commuted ITP.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm speaking of Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter area, and Alpharetta which hold a large portion of the metros jobs. Everyone makes the assumption that when it comes to employment that drivers are commuting ITP and I find that to be the case approximately 30% of the time. I personally have never worked or commuted ITP.
Everyone does not assume that and you never specified the employment centers in your example. Please be more specific next time.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

100% truck ban between 6 am & 12 midnight...

Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Yeeeeaaaaaaa.... no.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
A 100% truck ban between 6am and 12 midnight sounds like a good idea in theory because it sounds like a good way to instantly reduce all traffic by a large portion.

But, in reality, banning 100% of truck traffic for any period of time (especially for 18 hours out of a 24-hour day) is not doable because our entire economy is dependent on the transport of goods and materials by truck.

Banning truck traffic at any time would pretty much make it impossible for hospitals, schools, offices, factories, retail outlets (both online and bricks-and-mortar facilities like grocery stores, etc.), banks, etc., to operate and function properly, if at all.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Are you saying to do that on all interstates in the Atlanta Metro, or even 285 and inside? Certainly you realize that is a 100% non-starter. Not even sure it would be legal to do so. Like it or not, the interstates are THE integral link in freight transportation, and our economy is highly dependent on them. To essentially ban trucks from coming through Georgia for all but six hours of the day would be economic sabotage. I'm assuming this was meant to be silly and funny, and not actually a serious proposition.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Are you saying to do that on all interstates in the Atlanta Metro, or even 285 and inside? Certainly you realize that is a 100% non-starter. Not even sure it would be legal to do so. Like it or not, the interstates are THE integral link in freight transportation, and our economy is highly dependent on them. To essentially ban trucks from coming through Georgia for all but six hours of the day would be economic sabotage. I'm assuming this was meant to be silly and funny, and not actually a serious proposition.
I think he's specifically inferring I-285 but it wouldn't matter. Not only would it be absolutely toxic for the Metro to even consider something like that but it would also severely damage the entire Southeastern Region's freight logistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta