Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:39 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,382,319 times

Advertisements

Even as reports claim Atlanta’s housing inventory is shrinking—and at above-list prices—some properties across the intown landscape just can’t seem to land a solid offer.

Take these five listings: All are in sought-after locations and offer modern updates. And, the longer they linger on the market, the more their prices come down. At what point do they finally garner a committed buyer?...

FULL STORY: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/1/7/...-sold-for-sale

SOURCE: Curbed Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
To be clear, the inventory shortage is for entry-level homes less than $250K to $300K

If we're talking homes of over $500K, then most buyers who would be interested in the property have been priced out.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:03 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Clearly people in Atlanta have lost their minds. If this were Orange County I could understand these prices, but you couldn't pay ME $599,000 to live in that 1920s bungalow in that town. Just how much do they pay people that they can afford this kind of housing? No wonder our tax money is being wasted subsidizing houseing for low-income people. This is just INSANE.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:41 AM

306 posts, read 328,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Clearly people in Atlanta have lost their minds. If this were Orange County I could understand these prices, but you couldn't pay ME $599,000 to live in that 1920s bungalow in that town. Just how much do they pay people that they can afford this kind of housing? No wonder our tax money is being wasted subsidizing houseing for low-income people. This is just INSANE.

Why do you care? You are in Missouri! Any home within walking distance to Piedmont Park is a hot spot to live! Winter time is usually the low season to purchase, those homes will probably sell when spring/summer get here.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
Why do you care? You are in Missouri! Any home within walking distance to Piedmont Park is a hot spot to live! Winter time is usually the low season to purchase, those homes will probably sell when spring/summer get here.
That poster does have a point though.

I get that intown Atlanta is highly sought after right now, but when the median wage in Metro Atlanta is only $65K to $70K and you're not getting a lifestyle quite as sophisicated as what you find in places like NYC or Chicago nor the sq. ft./acreage you find in some place like Forsyth or Coweta County, $900K is quite a lot for a seller to ask for.

Combine all of that with the rising interest rates as well as a slowing economy and it's not unreasonable to assume prices may be due for a correction.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
It’s an open forum and being a resident of any area is not a requirement to participate in any discussion.
I get the same response as what you just posted when I post in California forms. Even though I don’t live in California now , I visit multiple times a year and moved away from California just 3 years ago and still have friends and family there . So what happens there is if interest to me.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is not insane at all. It's a matter of supply and demand. Pretty straightforward. And, there are plenty of folks in Atlanta who can afford a whole lot more than this bungalow. Plenty.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,677 times
If you can afford the price range and that is how you choose to spend it - then fine. There is nothing wrong with paying $599,000 for an intown bungalow or $599,000 for a suburban mega mansion.

The only thing I find silly is paying $599,000 for anything you cannot afford and being highly leveraged or living paycheck to paycheck

Old 01-07-2019, 01:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
I think most people paying that much for a house are interested in being able to park in a driveway, and more likely a garage. The first one is a beautiful house, but it's a one-car driveway with a small carport. The second one has some sort of parking pad in the back yard accessed through a narrow gravel alley in the back yard. The third one has no parking on the lot, and a no-parking sign on the street in front of the house. The one in the high rise is kind of surprising, although that's getting close to a million dollars. The last one is also fairly surprising given that it's under $400k with a really nice yard in a decent area, but it is a 2/2, which are harder to sell, and I think a single car parking pad.

I think the market for $600k+ houses may just be tapped out now. Everyone with that kind of cash to throw around has already made their move, and these houses may just not have the features that appeal.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It is not insane at all. It's a matter of supply and demand. Pretty straightforward. And, there are plenty of folks in Atlanta who can afford a whole lot more than this bungalow. Plenty.
It's as simple as that.
I figured that this thread would be irresistible to trolls. Missouri. HA.

In my former neighborhood of North Druid Hills, the inventory priced <500K is still hotter than a firecracker, usually turning over in less than a month. Anything over that seems to be taking considerably longer than three years ago, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: