Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
You're always going to pay a premium for new construction, especially in East Cobb where some of the housing is getting long in the tooth. And besides, where are there lots in East Cobb? It's pretty well built out in all but the farthest to reach areas.
If there's a premium for new construction, that would imply a discount on existing, and the dwelling would depreciate as it ages? I thought real estate was an investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM

761 posts, read 907,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipfit View Post
I did look in this area too online but wasn’t sure the schools were as good. I’ll definitely have to check it out and see if we like it. We would love to have an acre or so but seems the schools do go down outside of Peachtree City.
The Starr's Mill district goes outside of Peachtree City, and is an outstanding district as well. Whitewater is also highly rated.

Here is an example of some neighborhoods in the Starr's Mill district just outside of the PTC limits. Houses in Woodcreek have 1.5-5 acre lots that sell in the 350k-550K range, and the gates is a newer development with some homes around 450K, but in general I would stick to the north side of Peachtree City.

Woodcreek

Communities - Chris Gibson Homes

As for schools in Peachtree City, McIntosh usually scores higher than Pope and Lassiter, and just behind Walton on the SAT. Last year McIntosh was #5 in the state for SAT scores and Walton was #2, Lassiter was #8, and Pope was #15. This year I think McIntosh was 9 or 10.

Also, schools drop significantly in East Cobb outside of Walton, Pope and Lassiter. Sprayberry and Wheeler are good schools but don't rank as highly as the first 3. Also as a school system, Fayette ranks much higher than Cobb.

SAT rankings:
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...0g9EQNfFa4gxH/

Here's a good site to view rankings.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...30/search.aspx

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...90/search.aspx

East Cobb and Peachtree City are both good choices. Just depends on your preference. We like the golf cart paths, masterplanned community feel, less traffic, and close proximity to the airport. Also, our kids can drive a golf cart to school. With all that said, the Northside of Atlanta offers more shopping and dinning options.

Last edited by PTC Dad; 01-25-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 4,838 times
What about Woodstock or Canton? Would those areas be a horrible drive? I also wanted a place that has all activities in close proximity. I’ve been spoiled in Wake Forest by having everything we need and do be in a 10 minute radius except the mall but I don’t need that. I’m talking grocery store, kids activities, doctors, dentists, my work. Any places similar to that?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
FWIW I had a coworker from our Atlanta site (North Point Pkwy) say that he liked it better in Raleigh, and the schools are better.

I'd crunch the numbers of both higher home price and good public schools and lower home price and entertaining private school.
Raleigh is a great city! I really don’t have any negatives about it or the area we live in! The schools are good here but where we live I’d say East Cobb HS’s and Alpharetta/Milton are better.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
What about Woodstock or Canton? Would those areas be a horrible drive? I also wanted a place that has all activities in close proximity. I’ve been spoiled in Wake Forest by having everything we need and do be in a 10 minute radius except the mall but I don’t need that. I’m talking grocery store, kids activities, doctors, dentists, my work. Any places similar to that?
+1 my director commutes from Woodstock to W Peachtree St NW in Atlanta and has been for the past several years. Not enough to make him quit or move yet.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
The Starr's Mill district goes outside of Peachtree City, and is an outstanding district as well. Whitewater is also highly rated.

Here is an example of some neighborhoods in the Starr's Mill district just outside of the PTC limits. Houses in Woodcreek have 1.5-5 acre lots that sell in the 350k-550K range, and the gates is a newer development with some homes around 450K, but in general I would stick to the north side of Peachtree City.

Woodcreek

Communities - Chris Gibson Homes

As for schools in Peachtree City, McIntosh usually scores higher than Pope and Lassiter, and just behind Walton on the SAT. Last year McIntosh was #5 in the state for SAT scores and Walton was #2, Lassiter was #8, and Pope was #15. This year I think McIntosh was 9 or 10.

Also, schools drop significantly in East Cobb outside of Walton, Pope and Lassiter. Sprayberry and Wheeler are good schools but don't rank as highly as the first 3. Also as a school system, Fayette ranks much higher than Cobb.

SAT rankings:
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...0g9EQNfFa4gxH/

Here's a good site to view rankings.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...30/search.aspx

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...90/search.aspx

East Cobb and Peachtree City are both good choices. Just depends on your preference. We like the golf cart paths, masterplanned community feel, less traffic, and close proximity to the airport. Also, our kids can drive a golf cart to school. With all that said, the Northside of Atlanta offers more shopping and dinning options.
The Gates would be awesome! Are there a lot of gold courses to play? My husband is a big golfer! We used to own a golf cart when we lived in Birmingham, AL but sold it when we moved because we didn’t have the space but it was fun to ride around the neighborhood. Is it the same amount of traffic whether you are coming from East Cobb vs Peachtree City?

Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times
Quote:
The Gates would be awesome! Are there a lot of gold courses to play? My husband is a big golfer! We used to own a golf cart when we lived in Birmingham, AL but sold it when we moved because we didn’t have the space but it was fun to ride around the neighborhood. Is it the same amount of traffic whether you are coming from East Cobb vs Peachtree City?
Peachtree City is built around 4 Golf Courses and 3 Lakes. You can drive your personal golf cart not only to the course, but anywhere in the city. Grocery stores, restaurants, Churches, Schools, parks, and amenity areas are all connected by golf cart paths.

There is also a world class Tennis Center, an Amphitheater, Skate Park, nature preserve, and numerous other parks and ponds throughout Peachtree City.

As for traffic, the commute from the southside might be easier as long as you are on the northern end of Peachtree City. The commute from Woodstock or Canton would be brutal.

Also, for Golf, Clubcorps is the way to go. 4 Great courses for less than $200 a month.

Flat Creek | Whitewater | Planterra | Braelinn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk

Old 01-25-2019, 03:45 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If there's a premium for new construction, that would imply a discount on existing, and the dwelling would depreciate as it ages? I thought real estate was an investment?
Yes, there is a discount on existing homes, and, yes, the dwelling depreciates as it ages. The land (usually) appreciates. For older homes in East Cobb--the value is in the land, esp since many were built in the 70s when construction quality was at a low point.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
There are a lot more & fancier townhouses in Atlanta metro than Raleigh in all price ranges. Something to consider for the niceties you're accustomed to.

You'll soon realize that traffic is a huge factor living here, and East Cobb has a lot of traffic at least through the Powers Ferry Rd. corridor, in my opinion.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
There are a lot more & fancier townhouses in Atlanta metro than Raleigh in all price ranges. Something to consider for the niceties you're accustomed to.

You'll soon realize that traffic is a huge factor living here, and East Cobb has a lot of traffic at least through the Powers Ferry Rd. corridor, in my opinion.
Some of the town homes near Lenox are absolutely better than what you can find in Raleigh. Raleigh goes from city blocks and apartment buildings to small houses on city blocks. There's not really much of a higher end market for them, since most are not located near city-center.

Most will be found in Brier Creek, Lynn Rd, and off Glenwood Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta