Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:41 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times

Advertisements

I don't think a thread has been done on this yet but I am really curious. On GSU campus I find that there are many scooters...too many. I'm not bs ing you when I say that someone ran into me and had the gall to be rude to me about it. You'd think the first response would be to apologize but oh no...typical of what I see in Atlanta. I not only didn't get an apology but saw him say that it was my fault why I got ran into. I made sure to tell him that there are people walking on the sidewalk because that's what they're meant for. Even though I don't get ran into often, I do think our "leaders" need to do something about areas that have way too many scooters. GSU around certain times is so busy with students walking and to have people riding the scooters on the sidewalk is so dangerous because number 1 they don't have the decency to slow down and announce when they are coming in your direction (from behind).

This person was going on as if they wanted to fight me. You know...I think it's important to look out for one another instead of tearing each other down, but the black people in this city this country are so disgusting towards how they treat each other. You run into someone and don't have the decency to say sorry.

I do get tired of seeing people speed on the sidewalks and these scooters are in the walkway...they are in parking spaces. It's getting to be a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 01:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Just in time for SB53, DCP installed 2 pilot dockless, mobility corrals around SB53 venues.
https://twitter.com/ATLPlanning/stat...20319024332800

Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I don't think a thread has been done on this yet but I am really curious. On GSU campus I find that there are many scooters...too many. I'm not bs ing you when I say that someone ran into me and had the gall to be rude to me about it. You'd think the first response would be to apologize but oh no...typical of what I see in Atlanta. I not only didn't get an apology but saw him say that it was my fault why I got ran into. I made sure to tell him that there are people walking on the sidewalk because that's what they're meant for. Even though I don't get ran into often, I do think our "leaders" need to do something about areas that have way too many scooters. GSU around certain times is so busy with students walking and to have people riding the scooters on the sidewalk is so dangerous because number 1 they don't have the decency to slow down and announce when they are coming in your direction (from behind).

This person was going on as if they wanted to fight me. You know...I think it's important to look out for one another instead of tearing each other down, but the black people in this city this country are so disgusting towards how they treat each other. You run into someone and don't have the decency to say sorry.

I do get tired of seeing people speed on the sidewalks and these scooters are in the walkway...they are in parking spaces. It's getting to be a nuisance.
The behavior you describe is hardly limited to scooters or black people. People bump into you walking and never say "excuse me" or even acknowledge you exist. Common courtesy is just disappearing, especially among younger people.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The behavior you describe is hardly limited to scooters or black people. People bump into you walking and never say "excuse me" or even acknowledge you exist. Common courtesy is just disappearing, especially among younger people.

It's been my experience. When I said tearing each other down and not treating each other well, I wasn't just referring to the scooter situation. It's schools, it's the strangers in the bar, etc.

And no, it's not just younger people. I've seen this behavior common amongst those who are 50+ but I don't want to get off topic.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just in time for SB53, DCP installed 2 pilot dockless, mobility corrals around SB53 venues.
https://twitter.com/ATLPlanning/stat...20319024332800

Thanks for the link. This needs to be enforced though. People are constantly riding those things on campus and breaking literally all the rules I saw in that link. GSU campus needs those signs like yesterday...I know this country's obsession with sports but those signs should have been out before the super bowl. I hear stories about students crashing all the time and to think oh now because the superbowl is here, let's care about safety. Really?!? They need to look on campus and see how bad it is.

It's like that Southpark episode but obviously not to that extreme.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thanks for the link. This needs to be enforced though. People are constantly riding those things on campus and breaking literally all the rules I saw in that link. GSU campus needs those signs like yesterday...I know this country's obsession with sports but those signs should have been out before the super bowl. I hear stories about students crashing all the time and to think oh now because the superbowl is here, let's care about safety. Really?!? They need to look on campus and see how bad it is.

It's like that Southpark episode but obviously not to that extreme.
The "Scooter" ordinance just went into effect this weekend, so enforcement couldn't happen. This is an example of tactical urbanism, low cost test solution to a issue, that was deployed because DCP realized there would be a lot of pedestrians, cars, and dockless mobility devices so deploying this corrals during busy times is a great way to test them.
But YES DPW was enforcing the ordinance.
https://twitter.com/cqholt/status/1091414808044261376

Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The "Scooter" ordinance just went into effect this weekend, so enforcement couldn't happen. This is an example of tactical urbanism, low cost test solution to a issue, that was deployed because DCP realized there would be a lot of pedestrians, cars, and dockless mobility devices so deploying this corrals during busy times is a great way to test them.
But YES DPW was enforcing the ordinance.
https://twitter.com/cqholt/status/1091414808044261376

Sounds like campus. They need to place a bunch down here. I usually see the police pull over cars in the area and so I'm hopeful they will have the scooter riders ride on the road. Just saw your instagram. Cool that you could be part of that experience.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,787,484 times
So, do folks on motorized scooters get to pick and choose when they are pedestrians? Had one going down the center lane of Ponce/Scott Bvd after dark, but then you see them speeding down sidewalks and through crosswalks. Enforcing bad behavior on these seems like an impossible task (maybe put cameras on these to record the actions of the riders?)

Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
So, do folks on motorized scooters get to pick and choose when they are pedestrians? Had one going down the center lane of Ponce/Scott Bvd after dark, but then you see them speeding down sidewalks and through crosswalks. Enforcing bad behavior on these seems like an impossible task (maybe put cameras on these to record the actions of the riders?)
It's not the scooter companies job to enforce local ordinances. Idiots will be idiots no matter on a scooter, walking, on a bike, or in a car.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,787,484 times
Quote:
It's not the scooter companies job to enforce local ordinances. Idiots will be idiots no matter on a scooter, walking, on a bike, or in a car.
Sure, but too many idiots can ruin it for everyone. If they get to be too much of a safety-hazard/nuisance, the city could legislate/enforce them out of existence. That is not saying that the camera idea is brilliant, but the scooter rental companies should have ample incentives to work with cities to keep scooters safe and not too much of a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta