Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 21,491 times

Advertisements

Does anybody live or know someone who lives in any or these two cities?
I will be relocating to GA ( job transfer ) . I am trying to decide between Mcdonough and Suwanee. I will look at things with an open mind. I have lived in five different cities before. I know a place is as best as you make it to be. I just need some guidance as far as schools and a little bit of info about the area in general. I have two children ages 13 and 5
Any helpful info is welcome. My move will not happen until the Summer of 2008. Thanks for your insight and your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 AM

242 posts, read 841,845 times
Ok, firstly I will save the old timers on this forum from saying this - live close to your place of work or intended place of work.

I can give you some info on what I know and found out about Mcdonough, we move in a couple of weeks. In terms of schools - the schools that feed into Union grove, Eagles landing and Ola high schools are good. The first and second schools came up top 1000 high schools in the U.S The Top High Schools | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com (http://www.newsweek.com/id/58432/page/1 - broken link). You can view that report by state. You should also check out greatschools website.

You can also go to Comfortably South Of Atlanta, Georgia for a virtual tour.

We like a quiet, slow paced, family oriented area with amenities close by and Mcdonough fits the bill for us.

Also do a search on this forum for those areas to see other things that have been discussed.

Good luck

Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,177 times
I live in Suwanee and would be happy to answer any specific questions. I love the area. It's safe, family-oriented, and has good good schools.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
I live in Suwanee and would be happy to answer any specific questions. I love the area. It's safe, family-oriented, and has good good schools.

Thanks for your prompt response. I just want to know about any specific area in Suwanee GA. Like I said, my move won't happen until Summer 2008. Right now, I want some general info about the area, the schools etc. It will be a job transfer. Schools are very important to me. I want to live where the great schools are. I would appreciate it if you could help me.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
Ok, firstly I will save the old timers on this forum from saying this - live close to your place of work or intended place of work.

I can give you some info on what I know and found out about Mcdonough, we move in a couple of weeks. In terms of schools - the schools that feed into Union grove, Eagles landing and Ola high schools are good. The first and second schools came up top 1000 high schools in the U.S The Top High Schools | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com (http://www.newsweek.com/id/58432/page/1 - broken link). You can view that report by state. You should also check out greatschools website.

You can also go to Comfortably South Of Atlanta, Georgia for a virtual tour.

We like a quiet, slow paced, family oriented area with amenities close by and Mcdonough fits the bill for us.

Also do a search on this forum for those areas to see other things that have been discussed.

Good luck
Thanks for your prompt response.

Yes, I should be more specific. My intended place of work is in city of Mcdonough . This may sound weird , but I don't mind the commute. What I really want is some general info about Schools , some decent apartments ( $ 1000.00 to 1200.00) and the Mcdonough area. I have two children ( a middleschooler and kindergardener ). Thanks for your help.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 AM

If I were working in Mcdonough, I would be REALLY hesitant about that commute. But, since you say you don't mind, here's some info on Suwanee:

The schools are great. You can't go wrong with any choice of Suwanee schools. My pick for high schools is Peachtree Ridge. It's a newer school and I have heard nothing but good things about it. But the other choice, North Gwinnett High is also excellent. The way the schools work here is based on your address. You don't get to choose. Several elementary schools feed into a couple of middle schools, which feed into a single high school. This is called a cluster. Pick a good cluster, because you'll be stuck with it unless you move.

Suwanee is pleasant, safe, family-friendly, and low in crime. Your wife can go to the grocery by herself at night. Your kids can go to the Suwanee town park and get ice cream. The schools and the county have a gazillion programs for your kids to get involved in. Sports are big here. Your kids can play soccer, football, baseball, softball, karate, swimming, etc. There are places to eat and shop very close by, and there are 3 malls within a fifteen minute drive.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 PM

I really thank you for your help. I will travel down to Suwanee in June 2008 to get some more info. You have been very helpful. By the way, do you know about apartment complexes in the Suwanee? Which one would you recommend? Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 06:47 AM

Apartment complexes are few and far between in Suwanee (can't think of any), but you can rent a nice home for just a little more. There are plenty of homes for rent.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
I know that you say that you don't mind the commute from Suwanee to McDonough, but you are talking about a 2 hour commute each way, on a good day. On a Monday morning or Friday afternoon, forget it!!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 15,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
If I were working in Mcdonough, I would be REALLY hesitant about that commute. But, since you say you don't mind, here's some info on Suwanee:

The schools are great. You can't go wrong with any choice of Suwanee schools. My pick for high schools is Peachtree Ridge. It's a newer school and I have heard nothing but good things about it. But the other choice, North Gwinnett High is also excellent. The way the schools work here is based on your address. You don't get to choose. Several elementary schools feed into a couple of middle schools, which feed into a single high school. This is called a cluster. Pick a good cluster, because you'll be stuck with it unless you move.

Suwanee is pleasant, safe, family-friendly, and low in crime. Your wife can go to the grocery by herself at night. Your kids can go to the Suwanee town park and get ice cream. The schools and the county have a gazillion programs for your kids to get involved in. Sports are big here. Your kids can play soccer, football, baseball, softball, karate, swimming, etc. There are places to eat and shop very close by, and there are 3 malls within a fifteen minute drive.
Although I didn't post this thread, I would like to thank you Twinkletoes for this information because I was looking for an area which I could raise my children and not have to worry about gangs, violence or any of the such. i think Gwinnett County is the way to go. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta