Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Both I'd say, GDOT for not having a spine and telling GA Power to do it at night, or they'd hire someone else to do it
GA Power owns the equipment; its not up to GDOT to "hire someone else" to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times
It's in their RoW though. Just like if you have something on your property you don't want there, you can legally tell the owner "move it or I will."

Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's in their RoW though. Just like if you have something on your property you don't want there, you can legally tell the owner "move it or I will."
Utility companies have an easement over or under where their lines run. This means that, while they don't own a portion of a property, they do have rights to access and use of that portion of a property. "Move it or I will" is what a utility could tell you if you build something on their easement [I recall there was a thread in this subforum about a homeowner's newly buried sprinkler system that got dug up by a utility needing access to their equipment].

Old 02-15-2019, 07:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Does no one else realize that GDOT is moving many of the poles to be in the middle of the sidewalk? Talk about a big F.U. to pedestrians!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:36 PM

66 posts, read 35,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Does no one else realize that GDOT is moving many of the poles to be in the middle of the sidewalk? Talk about a big F.U. to pedestrians!
I was just about to say -- the rest of y'all are worried about the wrong thing. GDOT is going to make it possible to safely drive your car up onto the sidewalk but not possible to safely navigate a wheelchair down the sidewalk.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Yep. So stupid.

Quote:
"When that utility pole is right on the road's edge, you don't have any space to correct and get back on the road, could hit that pole and cause severe injury or death,” said GDOT spokesperson Natalie Dale.
That "correction space" is where pedestrians are supposed to be. We are literally designing streets so drivers will be safe if they drive up the sidewalk into a crowd of pedestrians. The efforts to protect drivers first goes so far as to protect them while they are running down pedestrians. Any wonder roads designed like this don't feel comfortable to walk down?

Old 02-16-2019, 05:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
The one example they gave was at the edge of sidewalk

Old 02-16-2019, 12:42 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwelling View Post
I was just about to say -- the rest of y'all are worried about the wrong thing. GDOT is going to make it possible to safely drive your car up onto the sidewalk but not possible to safely navigate a wheelchair down the sidewalk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. So stupid.
Do you guys have a source for this? The article didn't say this, and I would highly doubt they are planning to move the poles into the middle of the sidewalk. If true, I'll be angry right there with you. But I didn't see anything to indicate this.

Quote:
That "correction space" is where pedestrians are supposed to be. We are literally designing streets so drivers will be safe if they drive up the sidewalk into a crowd of pedestrians. The efforts to protect drivers first goes so far as to protect them while they are running down pedestrians. Any wonder roads designed like this don't feel comfortable to walk down?
Utility poles are every hundred or more feet apart down the road. Do you really see that as a safety barrier for pedestrians? The poles being on the edge of the road or 5' from the road makes zero difference in pedestrian safety. Maybe 1%. But, moving the poles protects not only a driver who might hit the pole from a small swerve, but also protects the utility. A pole getting knocked can bring service down for power, phone, internet, cable, and others, and require extensive work to repair. Why would you not protect these assets?

Have you ever been behind a bus or a truck on a small road with poles 6" off the side of the road. It always terrifies me as these vehicles lean to much due to road curvature, and it always looks like they're going to hit the poles.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Do you guys have a source for this? The article didn't say this, and I would highly doubt they are planning to move the poles into the middle of the sidewalk. If true, I'll be angry right there with you. But I didn't see anything to indicate this.
There are markings on the sidewalk (shown in the WSB-TV piece) indicate where each pole is going. GDOT is using a standard distance of moving the poles back 4 feet from their existing locations, and some of them would thus be moved onto the sidewalk.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So wait, y'all want underground utilities (which I know this project is not that, but would involve closures) and are going to complain when they have to shut down lanes to perform the work?
Quote:
In seeing this thread and reading it. Not knowing all details of course.

It's REDICULOUS not to place the wires underground. No city wants these ugly blemishes to boast rising stature.

I ABHORE seeing poles in vibrant areas and fronts of residences. Newer construction keeping them in fronts..... is stupid. Spend the extra cost and DO IT AESTHETICALLY MORE PLEASING as a end result... U N D E R G R O U N D. Doesn't matter where a UGLY POLE is placed on a sidewalk. IT'S A BLEMISH to PUT NEW ONES IN FOR THIS LONG PROJECT.

Just my opinion as I HATE again, seeing these poles in newer areas especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta