Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
There are mechanical issues that come up with all subway systems. Isn’t it a well known fact that DC’s subway is highly unreliable? I certainly hear many complain about it.
Yeah, WMATA/DC Metro is more reliable and has much more coverage than MARTA. It's the fact that there is only 48 miles of rail with 38 stations to maintain here compared to the 117 miles of rail with 91 stations with MARTA. It shouldn't be that difficult to do better maintenance of 48 miles of track here considering how everyone touts how cash is flowing like hot lava around this region. I hear many complaints about DC Metro too. However, it's because of its on-going issues involving maintenance, but not arriving nor getting to their destinations on time. The local MPO (WCOG TPB) has allocated millions of dollars in funding within their TIP towards fixing those issues in the current project list. Meanwhile, ARC has only discussed and prioritized any improvements in the current TIP, but the funding is nowhere to be found.

Last edited by jero23; 02-14-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 02:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, WMATA/DC Metro more reliable and have much coverage than MARTA. It's the fact that there is only 48 miles of rail with 38 stations to maintain here compared to the 117 miles of rail with 91 stations with WMATA. It shouldn't be that difficult to do better maintenance of 48 miles of track here considering how everyone touts how cash is flowing like hot lava around this region. I hear many complaints about DC Metro too. However, it's because of its on-going issues involving maintenance, but not arriving nor getting to their destinations on time. The local MPO (WCOG TPB) has allocated millions of dollars in funding within their TIP towards fixing those issues in the current project list. Meanwhile, ARC has only discussed and prioritized any improvements in the current TIP, but the funding is nowhere to be found.
Just goes to show ARC is worthless.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just goes to show ARC is worthless.
The blame solely lies truly at the feet of the State of Georgia. ARC is timid because Georgia gives the localities too much power and the regional development commissions (RDCs) very little power. Essentially, ARC is run by the mayors and county commissioners of the participating counties within the 10-county area. MARTA (and the ATL) is at the mercy of those elected officials dictate they give to Doug Hooker to follow. Most of them still do not want to implement true transit investments beyond placating BRT (with no transit signal prioritization nor dedicated right of way) along over congested corridors. Many of them are apprehensive to the thought of transit-oriented development. Clayton and Gwinnett are the only two truly open to it at the moment. It's all window-dressing and very little action...

Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No the hell they aren't. The government wanted to give them $2 billion in tax breaks, a dedicated MARTA car just for their employees (and no one else), and build them a school just for hiring workers. More corporate welfare is not something we need here.
Amen.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,404 times
Not even for 25k high paying jobs? Hate to break it to guys, but pay to play is part of doing business. This ain’t fantasy land.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Yeah, WMATA/DC Metro is more reliable and has much more coverage than MARTA. It's the fact that there is only 48 miles of rail with 38 stations to maintain here compared to the 117 miles of rail with 91 stations with MARTA. It shouldn't be that difficult to do better maintenance of 48 miles of track here considering how everyone touts how cash is flowing like hot lava around this region. I hear many complaints about DC Metro too. However, it's because of its on-going issues involving maintenance, but not arriving nor getting to their destinations on time. The local MPO (WCOG TPB) has allocated millions of dollars in funding within their TIP towards fixing those issues in the current project list. Meanwhile, ARC has only discussed and prioritized any improvements in the current TIP, but the funding is nowhere to be found.
I was on the DC Metro just this morning. And while I don't like DC in the least, you have to give them a huge thumbs up when it comes to their Metro. I felt safe, trains on time, the stations were clean and even if their station attendant was a little bit of a curmudgeon I don't mind taking it at all. It will be even nicer when they finish out the new Silver Line out to Dulles because Reagan National is an abominable airport. I literally could kiss the ground at Hartsfield Jackson when I reach Atlanta.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
It appears those jobs will spread out to the other 17 cities with Atlanta included. Hopefully we gain at least 1,000 Amazon jobs in Midtown. Jeff Bezos was also at the Super Bowl. I’m sure after that great Super Bowl weather, and Seattle recent epic snow amounts- Atlanta Georgia is fresh on his mind.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:00 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
We can rename SunTrust Park to Prime Field.
They should rename it Bozo's Folly instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta