Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM

43 posts, read 214,449 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to relocate to Atlanta sometime late this summer or early this coming Fall. I am unable to drive due to a seizure disorder and was wondering if it is possible to even live in Atlanta and work in Atlanta without a vehicle. I have read a bit on MARTA and it seems as though it is relatively efficient. I currently use the MBTA in Boston to get around. It has it's ups and downs and is not 100% reliable but you do what you have to do. I want some straightforward responses- the ups and downs of living in the area without a vehicle. Also, if you think it IS doable where at the best places to live accessibility-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,718 times
I would highly recommend against a move to Atlanta. I lived in Boston for a while, and Atlanta is nothing like Boston. Also, you definitely need a car here. Even if you live near MARTA, it does not really take you anywhere (not when you compare it to the "T"). I have met a few other people from Boston who moved here without a car and then moved back within a few months. For people who come from true public/mass transit cities (Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago), MARTA is a joke! Could you imagine the "T" having trains scheduled to arrive 10 to 15 minutes apart during its peak hours? Just one little fact to give you an idea how our public transit compares.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
It's possible, but not convenient. The rail (subway) here has limited areas that it covers in terms of practical stuff as opposed to touristy/events related destinations, other than downtown office job. The buses are much more extensive but they're not very reliable as far as being on schedule (or having friendly drivers for that matter).

MARTA's rail station map is HERE (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/schedules/index-rail.htm - broken link). If you're talking about being able to walk to a rail station, then you probably want to look in the areas of Midtown, Arts Center, Lindbergh, or Brookhaven on the North lines, and on the East lines halfway decent areas are Inman Park and Decatur (city of, not surrounding areas). You didn't mention a budget - the North side will be generally nicer but also pricier.

With MARTA you'll be able to navigate within the city fairly well, but the outer suburban areas don't allow MARTA into their counties. Cobb County has it's own limited bus system (CCT), and Gwinnett County has a small system as well. There are "Xpress" busese thoughout the metro area but they're generally commuter buses that only run in the early AM and later PM hours.

Atlanta is the "L.A. of the East", hence, very spread out over a very large area. It's a car town for sure. With no car it's possible to get around - but for many not very desireable. Cities with better transit systems are of course NYC, San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago (in terms of how large, not how nice), and perhaps Toronto if you want to go Canadian.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,134 times
I currently live in downtown area, but I still have a car. Well, it is definitely doable to live in Atlanta without owning a car. As a matter of fact, many people who work and live in Altanta use public transportation. Again it depends on what you want to do here and how convenient you want your life to be. If you live and work close to MARTA rail (with in one half mile range) where there is a grocery store nearby, you probably don't need a car. There are quiet a few places, like Atlantic Station, Midtown, Virginia Hignlands, and etc. But when you want to go somewhere for sight seeing, public transportation isn't sufficient.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM

43 posts, read 214,449 times
I have been hearing that the midtown area is probably best for me (young, professional, gay female)....As far as the comment about the "T" is concerned...it is a nightmare. I currently reside on the green line and it is NEVER on time, always sitting on the railway for a half an hr with no explanation, very unreliable. i think that ALL public transportation is unreliable.

I think i will look towards the Midtown area. Any thoughts on the possibility of both living and working in this area? I am in the hospitality/restaurant industry.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,134 times
^ yes, there are tons of hotels and restaurants in midtown and downtown. It's fairly easy to get a job in both areas, but the problem is cost vs. income to live in those areas. One income may not be enough unless you hold an upper management position in the industry.

Last edited by CityFan; 04-09-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
I have been hearing that the midtown area is probably best for me (young, professional, gay female)....As far as the comment about the "T" is concerned...it is a nightmare. I currently reside on the green line and it is NEVER on time, always sitting on the railway for a half an hr with no explanation, very unreliable. i think that ALL public transportation is unreliable.
I've spent large amounts of time in the Boston area (Cambridge mostly, up to six weeks at a time) and have lived in Atlanta for 22 years, including several years in my younger days without a car. Trust me when I say that a year's worth of frustrations with the "T" won't even compare with a week's worth on MARTA.

That said, it's vastly easier to live in Atlanta without a car now than it was 15-20 years ago when I was doing it. The development of major retail centers like Edgewood and Atlantic Station and the new Lindbergh Station that are close in to midtown/downtown and accessible via public transportation makes a huge difference, as does the trend of both residents and businesses moving back into the city. It's still a challenge, though you'd make your life much better if you can manage to live within walking distance or a short train ride away -- having to rely on buses to get back and forth every day will drive you nuts (I attribute much of my insanity to the days when I had to commute from near Ponce and Barnett to Century Center via MARTA every day). Midtown sounds like it'd be ideal for you if you can score a job in the area or in the Downtown or Buckhead or Perimeter areas (all accessible by train) -- downtown Decatur or other neighborhoods in that area along the East-West train line would be a good second choice.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
Yes, it's certainly possible to live in Midtown without a car. It's not ideal, perhaps, but it's possible. I've got a friend (who happens to be a real estate agent specializing in Midtown condos) who lives at Spire in Midtown and doesn't have a car. She walks to most everything she needs and gets by very well with MARTA and taxis. Just make sure you find a job within walking distance of a MARTA rail station and you should be able to manage it as long as you don't feel the need to make a lot of trips to areas of the city not served by MARTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta