Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Exactly, the optics of not passing it are far worse than any potential fears they may have.

I did some research and see that they did add PTSD and intractable pain to the list of qualifying conditions which should in turn open it up to just about anyone but what's the point at less than 5% THC.

CBD oil for sick children should be a no brainer.

Edit: So apparently when they added qualifying conditions they also lowered the THC cap to 3% which is criminal and neuters this entire program.

Precisely. It was a sham and they did it just to be able to say they did it. The oil that they're providing is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 05:41 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Precisely. It was a sham and they did it just to be able to say they did it. The oil that they're providing is a joke.

Don't get me wrong, there are children with seizures who's life will be changed in Georgia, but to call it medical marijuana is a farce.

My family in your neighboring state of SC feel your pain too as their joke of a medical bill just failed so I guess there's that.

After our first stab at legalization in Florida failed back in 2014 with 58% of the vote lol, our state legislature saw the writing on the wall and tried to "get out in front" of the inevitable and passed a low-THC law as well so that they could not only virtue signal about helping epileptic children, but also hoping it would cause some people to say CBD is good enough. In 2016 a stronger pro MMJ admendment succeeded with an astounding 72% of the vote. We knew what we were voting for despite them trying to say, "We gave you low-THC, you don't need medical..."

Old 05-08-2019, 08:42 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
For those interested, keep your eyes on Illinois this month. Legalized Recreational is on target to get passed by the end of this month and go into effect 1/1/2020. Illinois does not require a public vote so this one will be interesting and a good framework for others to follow. Nice summary here > Details of State’s Big Step Toward Legalizing Marijuana on Jan. 1, 2020

Hoping more states including GA, FL, etc. move in this direction, and of course, the Feds!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Despite what JMatls anecdotal evidence suggests the data doesn't pan out at all that GA is going to legalize marijuana on it's own anytime soon.

All they have go on is a poll done by a news team in which no one has any idea on how it was conducted and if it was even remotely scientific.

People grounded in reality know that this state doesn't have medical dispensaries, doesn't sell anything close to medical grade thc, doesn't allow alcohol before 12 on Sunday in most places and just made abortion essentially illegal.

If the Fed doesn't legalize it first then GA may only follow suite when Florida legalizes it because it's so close to it's border.

Otakumaster, let's just see if it will be legalized within 2 years. This to me would be a fair number for a state that's near to legalization (per Jmatl). I just looked at Florida's medical. Even though it's not as restrictive as states like Georgia, I still don't see it as so progressive. It would be nice if it covered things like people who suffer from anxiety, etc.

It's pretty annoying to see how older generations have fueled and allowed this war on drugs to continue and devastate lives, yet when it benefits their population (arthritis, for example), they change tune. I don't think it's any surprise why Florida has seen such a shift versus GA. The nerve of them calling our generation selfish...

Last edited by DreamerD; 05-08-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
NO. Absolutely not.

We just criminalized abortion and can't buy liquor on Sunday morning.

What the frick are you people smoking to think this state is that progressive.

Agreed. I do wonder if people on the thread have just been around progressive circles and/or live in more progressive Metro Atlanta areas.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'm honestly surprised you don't think that number is accurate. Look at any of the polls in the politics section on here for example (which leans conservative and majority Trump support).

The public has been ready to move on legalization for a while, all of the politicians are lagging behind because of the historical stigma of being seen as "soft on crime" or supporting drugs.

That said, Trump has so far expressed support for a bill CO senator Cory Gardner is pushing to allow banking access and a federal law carve out for the states that have chosen to legalize it.

I think we have to be careful of polls sometimes because they capture opinions at the time of record and don't account for anything that happens in the future. I have on my mind when Cali. decided to legalize gay marriage. The polls I'm pretty sure supported it. Then you had a ton of churches POUR money into ads against gay marriage and all of a sudden, they got rid of it. I find it important to never underestimate advertisements and the power structures that exist in this country.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
They can only do so much but you make a great point, there will be "implementing pains."

For the last 2 years they blocked smokable and so we had to buy ceramic pods designed to fit in dispensary sold table top vaporizers (Volcanos) that you had to bust open to get your flower medicine.

A legal battle ensued, which the state lost, so the new Governor said he would drop the state's appeal (of the defeat) if the legislature failed to give us smokable/loose flower this legislative session which would have created a no rules situation.

As for felon voting rights, expect another defeat or even a veto from Gov. DeSantis who espouses the will of the people and is a limited government constitutionist etc. Also note that the legislature can't just reverse what we vote on, but they can pass implementing laws to muck it up/regulate it.

So now felons who have served their time must also pay their court fines before the right to vote is restored.

I like how you all are linking the war on drugs to loss of voting privileges. It's very crucial to emphasize the dynamics oppressing people (voting, employment, housing, ability to self-employ, etc.) have in continuing the war on drugs. It's most certainly not a matter of just science.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Otakumaster, let's just see if it will be legalized within 2 years. This to me would be a fair number for a state that's near to legalization (per Jmatl). I just looked at Florida's medical. Even though it's not as restrictive as states like Georgia, I still don't see it as so progressive. It would be nice if it covered things like people who suffer from anxiety, etc.

It's pretty annoying to see how older generations have fueled and allowed this war on drugs to continue and devastate lives, yet when it benefits their population (arthritis, for example), they change tune. I don't think it's any surprise why Florida has seen such a shift versus GA. The nerve of them calling our generation selfish...
Haha so true about your last point.

And as a FL patient, I can assure you that you can get your card for anxiety or stress. When we crafted Amendment 2 we foresaw the legislature's oppsition and added PTSD and chronic (lol) pain to the qualifying conditions as well as this little magic pill of a qualifier:

-Any ailment/condition “of the same severity/symptoms” (as determined by the recommending physician)

I'm on a FL Medical Trees sub forum on a competing site and I've never ever ever seen anyone be denied since how can you prove someone isn't stressed from some sort of life trauma or they aren't experiencing pain.

Plus isn't life painful enough and most MJ Docs in FL offer money back guarantees if they can't qualify you.

Read this and it explains how virtually anything under the Sun will get your card in The Sunshine State!!

https://www.flmedcannabis.org/news/2...ana-in-florida

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 05-08-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I like how you all are linking the war on drugs to loss of voting privileges. It's very crucial to emphasize the dynamics oppressing people (voting, employment, housing, ability to self-employ, etc.) have in continuing the war on drugs. It's most certainly not a matter of just science.
Not sure that is what I did but yeah man let's end the WOD and restore voting rights for as many as possible.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Haha so true about your last point.

And as a FL patient, I can assure you that you can get your card for anxiety or stress. When we crafted Amendment 2 we foresaw the legislature's oppsition and added PTSD and chronic (lol) pain to the qualifying conditions as well as this little magic pill of a qualifier:

-Any ailment/condition “of the same severity/symptoms” (as determined by the recommending physician)

I'm on a FL Medical Trees sub forum on a competing site and I've never ever ever seen anyone be denied since how can you prove someone isn't stressed from some sort of life trauma or they aren't experiencing pain.

Plus isn't life painful enough and most MJ Docs in FL offer money back guarantees if they can't qualify you.

Read this and it explains how virtually anything under the Sun will get your card in The Sunshine State!!

https://www.flmedcannabis.org/news/2...ana-in-florida
Quote:
Not sure that is what I did but yeah man let's end the WOD and restore voting rights for as many as possible.

1) I'm so glad to see this instance where a law has been written in such a way to benefit the masses. YAY!

2) LOL. Well you spoke about voting rights. A lot of people who let's say had over an ounce of cannabis might have gotten a felony and a felony disqualifies a person from voting; in some states, it's difficult to restore your right to vote. The other stuff you didn't really mention...that was just stuff I had to say lol. People need to be aware of what's going on in the US. Many would argue that the criminal justice system has made life for blacks harder than during jim crow days...

3) Thanks for the link! Seems pretty comprehensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta