Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 4,594 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My wife, three children (ages 4, 10, and 16), and I are possibly moving to Atlanta for a transfer at work from Beirut, Lebanon, and we frankly have no idea about anything regarding the areas and school situation. We can spend up to $950,000, and are looking for a community that is has a Lebanese presence (it doesn’t have to be overwhelming, just there), is around 30 minutes or less from the Maronite Catholic Church which I believe is located in a city called Sandy Springs, has good public schools (my children all speak English), and will be accepting our Arab ethnicity and culture. We would like to be in an area that is fairly diverse and one where my children would not be the only Arabs at their school. Any help regarding areas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Samir
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
I’d think that Sandy Springs would be a good place for you. Near your church, great schools and Lebanese restaurants and market.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM

36 posts, read 36,286 times
where's the job located?

Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
There is really no particular area that has a high concentration of Lebanese/Arabs per se, unlike the Northeastern states. They tend to be sprinkled around North Metro Atlanta. A good way to tell where Arabs reside around here is the location of the Arab grocery stores. A quick google map search shows a bunch, mostly around the Marietta, Kennesaw, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Decatur, Norcross, Doraville areas.

A lot also depends on where you'll be commuting to and if your kids will be going to public schools. I personally think Roswell would be a good fit. Nice suburb, not too far from downtown, great public schools, and also one of the more diverse northern suburbs.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
There is really no particular area that has a high concentration of Lebanese/Arabs per se, unlike the Northeastern states. They tend to be sprinkled around North Metro Atlanta. A good way to tell where Arabs reside around here is the location of the Arab grocery stores. A quick google map search shows a bunch, mostly around the Marietta, Kennesaw, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Decatur, Norcross, Doraville areas.

A lot also depends on where you'll be commuting to and if your kids will be going to public schools. I personally think Roswell would be a good fit. Nice suburb, not too far from downtown, great public schools, and also one of the more diverse northern suburbs.

Agreed. When I think Arab presence, the Northeast and Midwest are first to come to mind. I want to also say states like Texas and California also have a presence. Yes, they are sprinkled around North Metro Atlanta.

Bolded: Good idea. Gotta find those halal stores.

Acceptance: You are more likely to be tolerated, not accepted.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM

446 posts, read 397,024 times
You are right, there is a Maronite Catholic church in Sandy Springs.

St. Joseph Maronite Catholic Church

I would suggest you also e-mail the church and ask them about good areas to live in, schools, etc., as well as any recommendations you get here.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM

197 posts, read 204,801 times
If i were in your situation, i’d just move to Sandy Springs.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Agreed. When I think Arab presence, the Northeast and Midwest are first to come to mind. I want to also say states like Texas and California also have a presence. Yes, they are sprinkled around North Metro Atlanta.

Bolded: Good idea. Gotta find those halal stores.

Acceptance: You are more likely to be tolerated, not accepted.
Just as a friendly FYI - there are as many Christians in Lebanon as Muslims. They are members of a Christian church so halal is not necessary (although may be appreciated.) Lebanon is not a typical middle eastern country.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM

816 posts, read 995,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Just as a friendly FYI - there are as many Christians in Lebanon as Muslims. They are members of a Christian church so halal is not necessary (although may be appreciated.) Lebanon is not a typical middle eastern country.
Having lived in Lebanon myself, this is very true. Its a religiously diverse Middle Eastern country.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:23 AM

748 posts, read 339,585 times
Yes, there are a lot of Lebanese Catholics, among other faiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta