Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2021, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 5,500 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and I am thinking about potentially moving to Lilburn.

I am married with a two year old boy and it looks like a nice community to live in. Arcado Elementary School has 8/10 in school ratings so it looks solid. I also like the location in that it is close to where I work.

I tried to do some research on Lilburn but there is not much information out there for this location. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts about this location and potentially the school as well?

I will give thumbs up to every reply.
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 02:30 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongheedong View Post

I am married with a two year old boy and it looks like a nice community to live in. Arcado Elementary School has 8/10 in school ratings so it looks solid. I also like the location in that it is close to where I work.

I tried to do some research on Lilburn but there is not much information out there for this location. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts about this location and potentially the school as well?

Thank you so much!
I know that Arcado Elementary appears to feed into Trickum Middle School (which is an above-average middle school), which feeds into Parkview High School, which is a school with decidedly above-average academic ratings and an increasingly extremely diverse student body.

It’s a highly-regarded area with a good housing stock and generally low crime and an extremely diverse population that continues to diversify rapidly.

Because of the generally high quality of the schools, it is an area (along with the entirety of the Parkview school cluster in general) that is very popular with families with school-aged children.

It is a good area to consider, especially if it is convenient to your place of work.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 5,500 times
Thank you for your response.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
I know this area well. Graduated from Parkview back in 2001 and have had family in the area ever since.

It is a very nice, but it doesn't quite have the momentum it once did. It use to discussed in the '90s and early '00s in ways Suwanee or Cherokee County is today.

The area has held a middle to upper middle class population for the most part and maintained that affluence without problem. It is almost, with a couple exceptions, entirely single family homes and most of the roads are 2 lanes within the area. Gwinnett zones more intense land use closer to I-85 and in small bits along US78. This has led the corridor that is Parkview-Brookwood-Grayson High School Districts to remain as destination places for families and is a sought after area. This is largely why the school is ranked high.

This particular area attracts many people that commute to Emory/CDC ares, work within Gwinnett, Tucker/Northlake/Mtn Ind., and Peacthree Corners. US78 is a freeway that starts nearby, but it ends at I-285. This means it stays a pretty tame commute. It isn't traffic free, but usually moves better than most freeways. The problem is most people have to use Ponce De Leon Ave to go all the way into town or get on I-285 north in heavy traffic to go towards perimeter Center.

The commute into Downtown/Midtown is average by Atlanta's standards. It can be a little painful on the surface streets inside I-285. Buckhead is possible using North Druid Hills Rd, but it is a bit painful on that road.

It isn't a bad place to live for anyone working within Gwinnett County or near Northlake/Tucker/Mountain Industrial.

Airport access also isn't bad. It is further away, but driving south it is mostly against traffic. Once you go south on I-285 and stay South of US 78 traffic back ups are usually minimal.

Most of the area was built between the late '60s and into the '90s. The area really saw its peak in the '90s. There are some in-fill neighborhoods that are newer. The area for the last 20 years was more dominated by empty-nesters, whereas homes with kids dominated the neighborhoods prior to that. There is starting to be more of a mix of younger families, older families, and empty nesters again.

It is usually quiet and safe. There will be some property crimes from time to time.

One thing I like about the area is most of the homes were developed during an era where developers still left the trees standing. One some of the newer neighborhoods clear-cut and flatten the land before building, so I like hilly feel amongst the trees. The park system here is great. Gwinnett County has a slightly higher tax rate for parks and they are well built and maintained.

For day-to-day needs there are many grocery stores, drug stores, fast food, Wal-Mart, Lowes/Home Depot, neighborhood restaurants and shops, etc.. are in the immediate area.

If you're looking for a full variety of big box stores, restaurants, chain restaurants, etc.. you will likely want to drive into the Tucker/North Lake area or towards Snelleville/GA 124 area for larger week to week items.

Socially, the area is very diverse. My niece graduated from Parkview about 3 years back and it was close to 25% white 25% Asian 25% black 25% Hispanic. Arcado Elem has a bit more Hispanic students than the other Parkview feeder schools. It makes this area very interesting.

The City of Lilburn has a very nice public park and a nice greenway for the community. The town center is tiny, but it is nice for 2 restaurants and a couple of shops. It isn't as larger as other suburban town centers in the area.

GCPS has done a very good job of listing public information about schools online.

Yearly Accountability Report Cards for all GCPS schools: https://www.gcpsk12.org/Page/25103

GCPS High school cluster map: https://www.gcpsk12.org/cms/lib/GA02...2021_22.eq.pdf

Street level school zone map for the Parkview Cluster: https://www.gcpsk12.org/cms/lib/GA02...S202122.eq.pdf

Old 09-13-2021, 04:26 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongheedong View Post

Thank you so much!
We lived there for a year, and considered staying-but my wife and I work intown and preferred a shorter commute. If our commute were 15min shorter we would have stayed in Lilburn. I think Camp Creek Elementary might be a slightly better school option in the cluster—though it is probably a larger school. We were pretty happy with Camp Creek Elementary, teaching skill was good, and student body was diverse in every way (ethnically, economically, racially). My son was looking forward to going to the middle school and was upset that we left. We really enjoyed the rec soccer leagues there. The parks are nice. Shopping on the main thoroughfares (hwy29,hwy78) has declined over the last 20 years, but is good enough—also I would prefer to live closer to 5 forks trickum rd and away from 78/29. Neighborhoods can be very diverse, or not. Proximity to Asian dining and farmers markets off pleasant hill rd was a plus for us. The public swimming had good facilities, but had too many people. I think there is a slight chance the area could decline in 10 years—only because suburban schools do not tend to stay diverse—Gwinnett has more exceptions to this than most.

Last edited by jeoff; 09-13-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta