Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 03:46 PM

33 posts, read 121,136 times

Advertisements

Teaching offers from these places. Where would you choose and why? Are there parks or bike paths in the area? Safe to walk alone? Also looking for plenty of community recreation for my son. Also do any of these areas offer age group swimming for children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Of those three, I would recommend Duluth, but away from the Gwinnett Place Mall area. Lilburn is too close to the high crime areas of Norcross, and has many illegals. Lawrenceville is also experiencing decline. If you are teaching in Duluth, you might want to consider living even further north in Suwanee or Sugar Hill which are especially family friendly (I'm partial to Suwanee since I live there - many parks and a trail system).

Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
What are schools you interested in? If it is Charles Grant Chesney (which is only title 1 school within greater Duluth area), that's good choice. It is only three years old (very new) and it is within Gwinnett place mall area. Although it is not as attractive as other areas, it is in the process of revitialization. As much as 1 billion dollars could invest in this small area. By the way, Gwinnett place mall is not within city of Duluth, only have Duluth zipcode. If you work in Grant, John's Creek, city of Duluth, Sugarloaf area, Suwanee are all good choices. I hear mixed review regarding Sugar Hill.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 AM

33 posts, read 121,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
What are schools you interested in? If it is Charles Grant Chesney (which is only title 1 school within greater Duluth area), that's good choice. It is only three years old (very new) and it is within Gwinnett place mall area. Although it is not as attractive as other areas, it is in the process of revitialization. As much as 1 billion dollars could invest in this small area. By the way, Gwinnett place mall is not within city of Duluth, only have Duluth zipcode. If you work in Grant, John's Creek, city of Duluth, Sugarloaf area, Suwanee are all good choices. I hear mixed review regarding Sugar Hill.
The schools that have called are Simonton, Norcross, Berkely Lake, Norten (sp?), Lawrence El, and Lilburn El.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/k12/...cct&ID=667:184 (Berkeley Lake) Non title 1

city of Berkeley Lake. Berkeley Lake elementary is in very nice area (Most homes nearby are from 400,000 to 1.2 millions range). It is within city of Berkeley Lake limit. But it is not title 1 school. I would definitely pick it over others if money is not factor. All the comments above regards Charles Grant applied.

http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/k12/...cct&ID=667:394 (Simonton) Title 1

http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/k12/...ct&ID=667:5054 (Lawrenceville) Title 1

Simonton and Lawrenceville elementary are next to each other (on the opposite side of downtown Lawrenceville).

Grayson, Dacula and Brookwood area could be choice.

http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/k12/...ct&ID=667:5554 (Lilburn) Title 1

Lilburn is on the Lawrenceville highway.

http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/k12/...cct&ID=667:287 (Norton) Non Title 1

south of snellville. Grayson, Dacula and Brookwood area could be choice.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 AM

11 posts, read 52,973 times
Do NOT go to L'ville ES -I promise you that principal is a nut job.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMI View Post
The schools that have called are Simonton, Norcross, Berkely Lake, Norten (sp?), Lawrence El, and Lilburn El.
Come check out the area right around Norton. Great neighborhoods, parks (Lenora Park right down the road), beautiful houses that are really appreciating in value. I live about a mile from Norton and love it here.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 AM

167 posts, read 769,572 times
Duluth is nice, but it has bad areas just like Lawrenceville and Lilburn. I want to counter the previous comment that Lawrenceville is declining. That's not true. The CITY of Lawrenceville is being revitalized. Simonton and Lawrenceville Elementary are near the city of Lawrenceville.

Before you make your choice, consider driving and stopping in the downtown Lawrenceville historic square. You will find fine dining at Little River Grill and Dominicks. You will also see the new Aurora Theatre, which houses some great theater. They are also tearing down several old buildings for a redesign of the traffic flow and the addition of streetscapes and several town parks. It may look like a demolition zone right now, but there will be big changes for the city of Lawrenceville within the next five years. A new shopping venue called the Old Exchange Alley will have a butterfly garden and an open air market all in the historic downtown area.

There are new and resale homes about 1 mile outside of the city limits on Sweetgum Road, Alcovy Road and Bramlett Shoals that are priced from 250K to 1.3 million dollars.

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 52,973 times
Default But...

That is only one small street in a large town. And my husband worked at Lil River Grill over a year -trash in there too...
Seriously...I thought it was great too till I was there a few months. and Don't teach in that School!! There are others nearby that are better if you have to go down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta