Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just like your argument of "flooding zones with buses" transportation is not a one-size-fits-all solution. DDIs will not work everywhere, just like flooding arterial roads with buses will not work.
In fact on Sunday June 16th, I rode the 110 bus to AHC or it's annual Juneteenth celebration. While riding 110 southbound to Arts Center we experienced bus bunching, was passed by the later 110 whom then stopped to pick up a passengers and my bus passed it back. If those buses had dedicated lanes and further spaced stops that would have never happened.
Yep, I would also paint in some dedicated lanes. They do that in other cities.

As far as I'm concerned they can have signal priority, too.

Keep them dogies rolling. Hyah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Exactly. The lights are still badly timed.
Makes me wonder what happened to our can-do attitude. Half a century ago we put men on the moon. Build the greatest highway system humanity has ever known -- no problem. Build a colossal air transportation system? Check. Invent and build hundreds of millions of computers and devise a system where they can all communicate all over the globe? Done.

But time the traffic lights on North Druid Hills road? Now there's a stumper.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
The traffic situation once all the buildouts by Emory happen at N. Druid Hills and at Executive Park is a real concern. When the bridge went out a year or so ago, traffic in the neighborhoods was so bad we and other neighbors were almost hostage in our homes re car use and had to start walking to the stores, etc.
Also, a 10 min car trip turned into 30+ mins. That re-occurring is a major concern. It is disappointing that the govt has not made adequate arrangemts for what is coming. How are parents of sick kids even supposed to get them there?
The situation is bad now and I expect it can only get worse. I like the idea of highway ramps over other ramps to facilitate traffic to the area. Why does everything have to be on only one level when we have open sky? For example, Chicago has the L. How come we cannot have rail running in the air and/or highway ramps at the street level and below tunnels or bridges above? What about a bridge like the Bay Bridge in the SF Bay area where you drive in one direction to Oakland and above is another level to San Francisco. Where is the creativity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my opinion this is one of the most aggravating bottlenecks in the ATL. It can easily take 15 minutes to get through this intersection.

Other than adding a few lanes, they really haven't done much to improve things since 1973.

With all the development it's only going to get worse. I'd hate to be trying to get a child to the emergency room at the new Emory Hospital. (Of course it's pretty bad at the old Emory Hospital, too.)

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/flash...-xylMoiMBSXQhg

Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
The traffic situation once all the buildouts by Emory happen at N. Druid Hills and at Executive Park is a real concern. When the bridge went out a year or so ago, traffic in the neighborhoods was so bad we and other neighbors were almost hostage in our homes re car use and had to start walking to the stores, etc.
Also, a 10 min car trip turned into 30+ mins. That re-occurring is a major concern. It is disappointing that the govt has not made adequate arrangemts for what is coming. How are parents of sick kids even supposed to get them there?
The situation is bad now and I expect it can only get worse. I like the idea of highway ramps over other ramps to facilitate traffic to the area. Why does everything have to be on only one level when we have open sky? For example, Chicago has the L. How come we cannot have rail running in the air and/or highway ramps at the street level and below tunnels or bridges above? What about a bridge like the Bay Bridge in the SF Bay area where you drive in one direction to Oakland and above is another level to San Francisco. Where is the creativity?
The El in Chicago gets state funding and majority of it was built by private companies. MARTA gets $0 state funding, but we do have $11B to spend on Express Lanes.
There is no need to double deck I-85 or Druid Hills, adding more lanes will only temporarily relieve traffic congestion.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
The El in Chicago gets state funding and majority of it was built by private companies. MARTA gets $0 state funding, but we do have $11B to spend on Express Lanes.
There is no need to double deck I-85 or Druid Hills, adding more lanes will only temporarily relieve traffic congestion.
Testify.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:59 AM

I don't see adding a bunch of new lanes and simply widening the road as a solution to this intersection. That would just add to the tangle.

We have to get smart. Start with a diverging diamond and get all the traffic signals timed.

That's picking the low hanging fruit first.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't see adding a bunch of new lanes and simply widening the road as a solution to this intersection. That would just add to the tangle.

We have to get smart. Start with a diverging diamond and get all the traffic signals timed.

That's picking the low hanging fruit first.
With this area becoming an employment hub, will Xpress buses begin serving it?

Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Pretty sure, they were in the future plan that Xpress GA had shown last year.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Good question. There's no doubt that Xpress bus could help with regard to workers coming in from Gwinnett.

However, commuters are just the tip of the iceberg. Think about the horde of students, parents, medical patients, diners, shoppers, delivery, construction and utility vehicles, and the like. They account for about 80% of the vehicles on the road and most of them are not likely to ride an Xpress bus.

And of course we haven't even started dealing with all the cut-thru traffic. NDH is a major route to Buckhead and points north.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Exactly. The lights are still badly timed.

For example, when you get off 85 South to head over to JC South, the light changes on the ramp than it is immediately red at the crossover so you have to wait again, then once you clear that light, the light by the CFA/WF/Shell is red 95% of the time. The traffic still backs up on the ramp. Every time, I drive through, I try and understand the point of the DDI cause nothing has changed from the previous years imho.
And if you report this on ATL311, if it's in their jurisdiction, someone from the signal timing department will call you very soon afterward and ask you what the problem is.

Maybe Dekalb's department is similarly ready to go & adjust timings if they see what you see.

Remember that Atlantans don't get involved and thousands will endure a blatantly mis-timed signal for month and years and never report it.

If the problem you see is a no-brainer then report it, they'll fix it, and you will have improved the daily lives of thousands of people.

I lived off N. Druid Hills for many years so I'm somewhat attached to this overpass.

One peculiar thing is that there aren't any street lights at all at this big interchange.

I also don't think the new Children's hospital is all that attractive on the exterior, especially to be so exposed and close to the highway.

I think the building signage is a tad too big also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta