Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 11:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The dude just wants a world where cars must humble themselves to the shoes of every pedestrian, even if said pedestrian jumps out on a 70 mph interstate and gets killed somehow the driver needs to pay for the crime.

Is that too much to ask for?
Backing out of a driveway requires you to cross a sidewalk, where pedestrians have the right of way. If is the driver's responsibility to yield to them, but then again most Americans think driving is a right, not a privilege.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Because Kruse wrote a book on his research on Atlanta.

The problem is all of his "research" isn't accurate. He seems to have sprinkled in some half truths and opinions that have been easily debunked on here. Sadly, much of it is basically an opinion piece at this point.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM

764 posts, read 1,110,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
How long does it take you to look in two directions?
I have a General Motors car with a camera, so I don't have to look both ways anymore!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:20 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why is time waiting only added for transit? Where is time to back out driveway or looking for parking spot?
Most people count door to door. It takes me about 15 seconds to walk out my door, put my computer bag in the back, and get into the drivers seat. I turn the car on, put the car in reverse, check both ways behind me and my camera to make sure it’s clear, and then back out. Ten seconds max. So, from my door to being on the way is less than 30 seconds.

And yeah, you should calculate how long it takes to find parking. Never takes me very long, especially since all studios have parking for crew. Usually about one minute from the time I enter the parking lot until I’m inside the building. When I went to a show at the Fox last week, it took less than five minutes to find (free) parking. Would have been faster if I paid.

Why would you NOT count waiting time when using transit?? Or the time is takes you to walk/bike to and from the station? That would be like me not counting time at stoplights.

Quote:
If it's taking 8 seconds to back up, you are not checking for people walking along the sidewalk. That's how kids get killed.
We don’t have sidewalks and the view is completely clear. I can see all the way down the road in both directions. My driveway is only 20’ long. It does not take eight seconds to determine if someone is there. Seriously...sit and count to eight and see if that doesn’t feel like enough time.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I have a General Motors car with a camera, so I don't have to look both ways anymore!
Try and use that excuse in court

Old 08-16-2019, 12:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Because Kruse wrote a book on his research on Atlanta.
And this research led him to believe what happened in Atlanta wasn't mirrored all around the country? Arjay's comment that whites are moving back in is being mirrored all across the country as well. The trends were nationwide, not isolated to Atlanta.

Write this as an American issue. Don't single out Atlanta as if it were some outlier.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Is there some wave of people being backed over in driveways that I have missed?

Old 08-16-2019, 12:51 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Is there some wave of people being backed over in driveways that I have missed?
That's the point. You ran over those waves of people and didn't even notice!!!

Old 08-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That's the point. You ran over those waves of people and didn't even notice!!!
I wondered where that dent in the bumper came from.

But I'm not in Atlanta presently so I don't cause urban traffic ills. Only racist Atlanta.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:31 PM

11,807 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Where did cqholt say that?
He doesn't have to say it. His anti-car agenda reeks so great its blatantly apparent. He wants pedestrians to have right of way over vehicles as it was before automobiles became a major player in todays world. Every single post he makes regarding a pedestrian death regardless of how much or little the pedestrian may have contributed to the collision - he and jsvh always make cars out to be like a devil...as if they have a mind of their own hungrily looking to victimize pedestrians. The same goes for the idea of ripping up lanes for pedestrian paths and bikeways - and while those nodes are definitely nice and needed - it would only assist at the most... 3% of Atlanta metro's population. Atlanta is a car dependent metro... ...do something about that (by making transit more reachable and feasible for the MASSES) before blaming drivers and cars... They have way too much bias into his information based on their desires rather than anything with perspective of the entire situation which actually makes his arguments weaker than they could be. When you focus only on one side and bias against that over and over again over time your arguments just lose weight and meaning.

Quote:
Backing out of a driveway requires you to cross a sidewalk, where pedestrians have the right of way. If is the driver's responsibility to yield to them, but then again most Americans think driving is a right, not a privilege.
Driving is neither a right or a privilege. driving is a tax... there are thousands and thousands of people who do not need to be given a license in this country, they will not take them off the road because cars bring the localities money... and MUCH more money than any other form of transportation aside from just 'maybe' flight - ever has.. or ever will..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta