Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 11:00 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,277,247 times

Advertisements

I totally moved to Cobb on purpose, and yet I totally would love to see it more and more urbanized. I love all the new recent and upcoming apartment projects in the Vinings/Cumberland area. Bring on all the density and taller buildings and MARTA and pedestrian improvements and trails and bike paths and all that jazz. It's a great thing all around! I chose to live ITP for a reason, and even inner OTP should be urban at least for a few miles out

With that said, absolutely limit exurban sprawl, let those areas remain quiet. (Cherokee is not really exurban anymore. The 10 county ARC area is just the city and average suburbs these days.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM

816 posts, read 996,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Oh believe me, that's hardly unique to Cherokee County.

But at least there, the rate of growth is rapid enough to drown out those who are griping about it.

I will never understand how people expect to live in one of the fastest growing regions in the country and also expect everything to remain stagnant.
I agree. Some people claim to love all the good things that come with growth (increase in property values, better schools, increase in amenities, etc), yet don't want to deal with some of the negatives (namely traffic).

Old 08-30-2019, 11:41 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Definitely in terms of multi-family. Unless we balance that with more SFH's, we risk turning into a city of apartments.
CoA needs more density, not more SFHs. The lack of density and TOD is one of the major structural problems Atlanta has had to deal with for decades, and it contributed to unchecked sprawl.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times
Great way to avoid traffic: don't drive.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
According to whom? Those trying to make a living from selling or renting homes would say they are priced right.They are priced to cover costs and leave enough profit for the owner to make a living. They are priced at what the market will bear.
Price is simply the intersection of supply and demand.

Since we limit supply with rules limiting density (including things such as parking minimums and setbacks) we cause price to be higher than it would be without those rules.

Intown living would be much more affordable if we open up and allow enough housing to get built there.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,366,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Oh believe me, that's hardly unique to Cherokee County.

But at least there, the rate of growth is rapid enough to drown out those who are griping about it.

I will never understand how people expect to live in one of the fastest growing regions in the country and also expect everything to remain stagnant.
Those people would be my mom. They bought a new construction house in an actively-under-construction neighborhood. Several lots around her were not built on yet. Then she got really upset that a couple of years later, those lots had houses going up. "Why are they putting houses here!!?!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Since we limit supply with rules limiting density (including things such as parking minimums and setbacks) we cause price to be higher than it would be without those rules.

Intown living would be much more affordable if we open up and allow enough housing to get built there.
With the sheer number of residential buildings being built in Midtown and downtown right now, I question how much we "don't allow" enough housing.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
With the sheer number of residential buildings being built in Midtown and downtown right now, I question how much we "don't allow" enough housing.
Building 6,500 housing units in the city seems like a lot given that it is more units than anywhere else in the metro but you got to realize the city grew by 10k people last year. That growth is expected to increase to over 25k a year in the coming decades.

So, no. We are not building enough.

Also, the high prices intown should give you a big indicator that supply is not keeping up with demand.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:46 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,050,549 times
Quote:
Price is simply the intersection of supply and demand.

How does literally every single problem in the metro seem to revolve around the presence of automobiles when you address them?

Old 08-30-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How does literally every single problem in the metro seem to revolve around the presence of automobiles when you address them?
Huh?

Edit: oh, because I mentioned parking minimums as one of the examples of zoning rules limiting density? You probably need to stop obsessing over cars. You know, maybe, just maybe cars and the laws created to prop them up actually are contributing to many of the problems in the metro?

Old 08-30-2019, 04:12 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,317,557 times
Quote:
Building 6,500 housing units in the city seems like a lot given that it is more units than anywhere else in the metro but you got to realize the city grew by 10k people last year. That growth is expected to increase to over 25k a year in the coming decades.

So, no. We are not building enough.

Also, the high prices intown should give you a big indicator that supply is not keeping up with demand.
Surely most of the 6,500 units are not single-occupancy, though. If as few as 53% of them are occupied by only two people each, with the remainder occupied by one person each, then 10,000 people are fitting in those 6,500 units. And certainly we know that a certain number of these units are going to be occupied by three- or four-person households.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta