Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:14 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times

Advertisements

Oh, well if the name's taken...

I agree that it should take some of Mary Lin but I haven't heard any noise about it. Also, which ones? Those from Lake Claire? It would be weird trying to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Oh, well if the name's taken...

I agree that it should take some of Mary Lin but I haven't heard any noise about it. Also, which ones? Those from Lake Claire? It would be weird trying to figure it out.
It will be hard because the schools are so close. But I have thought about it...it should only be a small part of the zone. The new school should take (from Lin):

1. Lake Claire (all or most)
2. Parts of Poncey-Highland
3. Druid Hills south until the "equi-distant/midpoint" line between the two schools (how they divide this part will have to be very City Schools of Decatur-like).

That's it from Lin.

However from Morningside:

1. Virginia-Highland/Atkins Park (All!)
2. Midtown south of tenth (including south of Piedmont Park); maybe even south of 14th.
3. The "greater" Amsterdam Walk neighborhoods just to the east of Piedmont Park.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
That would be a lot from Lake Claire. Lake Claire is probably an entire third of Mary Lin....about 1200 households (although less will have children).

Old 07-12-2008, 01:06 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
That would be a lot from Lake Claire. Lake Claire is probably an entire third of Mary Lin....about 1200 households (although less will have children).
A lot (or half or less) of Lake Claire then. I think the Lake Claire and Poncey-Highland parts are negotiable...but the Druid Hills part will have to go.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM

60 posts, read 245,940 times
"Olmstead Elementary" sounds pretty good, with the historical attachement to the area. I'm sure the Druid Hills HOA will like it.

Although, I was liking the sound of "Springdale Elementary."

I'm not sure how the rezoning will be drawn (the only thing that's guaranteed is lots of complaining from all involved), but it does seem that Va-Hi, Atkins Park, and Druid Hills would be incorporated into the new school under any plan.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:27 AM

33 posts, read 93,133 times
Can someone tell me..are the Decatur City Schools safe? I am from New York, not the city but close enough to it that I have seen and heard about some not-so-safe city schools, and I am considering moving to the Atlanta area to teach.

I see that there is a new school planning to open up in the Virginia Highland area right when I would be thinking about moving down there (hoping to maybe apply for one of the positions), but I would really like to teach in a safe school. I know that Virginia-Highland is generally a safe area, but are the schools in this area safe as well? Hopefully they aren't anything like New York City Schools...

Any information would be great!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times
Default Schools in Decatur and Va High area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTeacher1 View Post
Can someone tell me..are the Decatur City Schools safe? I am from New York, not the city but close enough to it that I have seen and heard about some not-so-safe city schools, and I am considering moving to the Atlanta area to teach.

I see that there is a new school planning to open up in the Virginia Highland area right when I would be thinking about moving down there (hoping to maybe apply for one of the positions), but I would really like to teach in a safe school. I know that Virginia-Highland is generally a safe area, but are the schools in this area safe as well? Hopefully they aren't anything like New York City Schools...

Any information would be great!
I'm assuming from your post that you teach elementary. Decatur City Schools are very safe - meaning the ones in the City district. These schools are Expeditionary Learning or International Baccalaureate Schools depending on what grade you teach. All schools in the City of Decatur are charter schools as of this school year. That may be a little rough going during this first year - as the principals and the school board figure out how to share leadership with parents and teachers. However, I think after everything is ironed out it will be very desirable for teachers. It certainly won't be dull this year... that's for sure!

There are also many schools that are located in "Decatur" that are actually Dekalb County Schools. I would say that most of these, particularly those north of Memorial Drive, are wonderful, safe schools also. Some of the more highly regarded elementary schools in the Decatur area but in the county system include Fernbank (an IB school), Oak Grove, Sagamore, Laurel Ridge and Medlock. I'd also take a peek at Avondale Elementary and International Community School. These two are also IB Schools and seem to have a very good environment. The latter is a charter school that focuses on teaching immigrant children from around the world. They teach a lot of "regular old" American children too and everyone seems to be very enriched by the experience.

The schools around Va High are City of Atlanta Schools, are also very safe and are considered excellent academically. The new one will serve portions of the Virginia Highland and perhaps the Bond Community neighborhoods. These are both pretty upscale areas with lots of involved parents. The other elementaries in that area include Morningside Elementary and Mary Lin Elementary.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 PM

33 posts, read 93,133 times
cmtiger...

Thank you so much for your information! I am thinking about moving to the VA High area so it would be perfect for me if I was able to get a job at the new school. I didn't realize it is going to be a city of Atlanta school; for some reason I was thinking it was a Decatur City school (I obviously don't really know the area).. but I checked out the Atlanta City School District salary schedule for teachers online and it seems to be the highest paying district around the area. I guess this is because it is in the "inner city" ? But as long as the area is safe with involved parents then I will be happy.

Well.. thanks again! If you have any other information about the Atlanta City School District I would love to hear it!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM

The Morningside FAQ has been updated with some new information.

Morningside Elementary School

It seems we'll be waiting until at least the end of August to hear anything about rezoning.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Per the letter from Dr. Beverly Hall:

Quote:
“APS plans to finalize the zoning recommendation by the end of August. The proposal will be shared with the Morningside community and posted on the APS website. APS will solicit input from the community once the zoning proposal has been presented through a formal meeting facilitated by APS.”
Tomorrow is the end of August. I wonder whether this rezoning proposal will appear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta