Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Here is a list and a map of 9 selected Christmas and holiday light displays of note in metro Atlanta and in Georgia north of the Gnat Line...

"9 great places to see Christmas lights around Atlanta, mapped" (Curbed Atlanta)
I love Christmas Markets in Europe. Has anyone gone to Christkindl Market here? I might consider going to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Do you guys have any suggestions for things to do with the family on Christmas day during the day in and around Atlanta ?
Indoors preferred but open to outdoors.
I think the Aquarium is open Christmas Day but not completely sure. The movie theaters are always a good bet.

We are going to Cirque de Soleil Volta the day before but I think that they are closed Christmas day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I love Christmas Markets in Europe. Has anyone gone to Christkindl Market here? I might consider going to it.

I think the Aquarium is open Christmas Day but not completely sure. The movie theaters are always a good bet.

We are going to Cirque de Soleil Volta the day before but I think that they are closed Christmas day.
I dropped by the christkindl market here, which moved from AS to centennial Park. I thought it was great. Most of the shops were unique, and run by actual Europeans with accents. Some unique food. Not giant, but a solid 30-40 vendors maybe.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Do you guys have any suggestions for things to do with the family on Christmas day during the day in and around Atlanta ?
Quote:

The Georgia Aquarium does appear to be one venue that is open on Christmas Day.

Here is a link to a list of venues that were open on Christmas Day 2018.

Of the 13 activities/venues on the list, about 5 are indoor activities, including the aforementioned GA Aquarium, fun and games at 2 different area bowling alleys, a (pricey) Christmas Day Brunch at an upscale Buckhead restaurant, and a fondue restaurant in Midtown.

The list is also about a year old, so one likely might need to call to confirm that these same venues will be open on Christmas Day this year (2019)...
"13 Things to Do in Atlanta After They Open Presents" (Red Tricycle)

Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Here is another list (a current list) of things to do on Christmas Day that was published back on November 14, 2019 in advance of the Christmas 2019 holiday and season. Though, with the exception of about a couple of bowling alleys, the GA Aquarium, movie theaters and some restaurant recommendations, most of the activities on this list appear to be outdoor activities...

"Things to do on Christmas Day: 15+ Excellent Adventures" (365 Atlanta Traveler)

Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM

There were some Christmases that we drove around looking at neighborhood decorations; quasi indoors. lol

Thanks for all of the great info, everyone!

Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
If anyone knows a good Chinese food place open on dec 25th please share!

Old 12-20-2019, 12:43 AM

Default 9 (10) family-friendly fun ways for metro Atlantans to celebrate New Year's

Here is a link to a list of 10 great family-friendly fun ways for metro Atlantans to celebrate the start of the new year:

"9 of the best family-friendly New Year’s celebrations in Georgia" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Although the title of the article reads "9 of the best family-friendly New Year's celebrations in Georgia," the list of 10 family-oriented activities (a 10th 'bonus" activity was included in the article) is very much focused on metro Atlanta, with 8 of the 10 activities listed being located in metro Atlanta, including:
  • A "Noon Year's Eve Celebration" at LEGOLand Discovery Center in Phipps Plaza shopping mall in Buckhead
  • "The Celebration of the Century" at Medieval Times at Sugarloaf Mills Mall in Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County
  • A "Noon Year's Eve" celebration at Fernbank Museum of Natural History in Atlanta
  • A "Noon Year’s Eve" celebration at Avalon in Alpharetta
  • A "Kids Early New Year's Eve Celebration" at Stone Mountain Park
  • An annual "Geranium Drop" in McDonough in Henry County in suburban Southeast metro Atlanta
  • A midday "New Year's Bubble Bash" at The Children's Museum of Atlanta in Downtown Atlanta
  • A "Gold Nugget Drop" 2019 in Villa Rica in Carroll County in suburban West metro Atlanta

A 9th activity ("Helen's Annual Dropping of the Edelweiss") listed is in Helen in North Georgia (which is a getaway spot that is wildly popular with metro Atlanta residents), and a 10th activity (the "Tallapoosa Possum Drop") listed is in Tallapoosa, which is located just beyond the borders of the Atlanta MSA/Metropolitan Statistical Area in Haralson County.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:12 AM

Default Still have some shopping to do? Marietta Square will hold a holiday market this weekend

If you still have some last minute holiday shopping to do and you do not want to go the mall or just simply don’t have the time to wait for an online order, there is another way to complete the rest of your shopping.

The popular Marietta Square (in downtown Marietta) will hold a Christmas market starting at 9 a.m. this Saturday.

In addition to the typical selection of produce that the square is known for during its weekly farmers market, there will be an artisan market featuring locally made goods on the North Park Square from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

After the market ends, there will be a "winter wonderland" on display in Glover Park (the public park at the center of the Marietta Square) that will include games, holiday lights and a visit from Santa Claus.

The "Marietta Square Food Tour" will also be happening on Saturday. It will start at 11am and take participants to 7 local restaurants on the Square.

"Marietta Square to hold event aimed at last minute holiday shoppers" (Atlanta Winter Guide/Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Old 12-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
If anyone knows a good Chinese food place open on dec 25th please share!
A la Christmas Story!

Old 12-22-2019, 04:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
A la Christmas Story!
https://youtu.be/xTq20prt0K8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta