Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM

91 posts, read 344,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our car was broken into..side window smashed..in broad daylight in a church parking lot right across from the capitol building. The criminal element in Atlanta is unbelievable.
Well if you had known anythign about Atlanta you would know that this is one of the worst places in the city: South of Five points, or the "Government District" does have a lot of crime. When you leave your car in this area, even in a church, you should take all your valuables with you. A lot of parts of Atlanta wouldnt require this, but next to the capitol isnt one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Hotels are prime places for crimes. Why? 3 reasons- the first is that many tourist are flush with cash and the criminals know this. They also carry credit and debit cards and, because they are away from home, do not have handy the numbers to call and cancel all their cards which gives the criminals several hours to run up charges. The next reason is the many hotels are easy to get into and out of. It isn't like breaking into a house. You just go room to room until you find somebody to hit. Criminals can grab a keycard at the pool and just try several doors and, if somebody sees them, they just say "oops, wrong room" and nobody suspects anything. The final reason is that, even if caught, prosecution almost never happens because the victims usually live far away and will not appear in court.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
On two different business trips to Atlanta I was robbed at two different hotels. The first one my car was broken into in the Hotel parking lot while I was checking in late at night. The contents of my suitcases were all over the parking lot, that hotel was in Midtown. The 2nd time it was at the Atlanta Hilton Hotel, my wallet was stolen while I was in the shower, however I think that was an employee of the company I worked with. One thing I know for sure there are criminal types always watching the public with the intent of robbing you. It is a lousy way to live but we always have to be on guard in todays society. I do feel Atlanta has a huge crime problem, and I find it annoying when I hear the comment Oh its everywhere, well it is, but Atlanta's crime is way beyond its everywhere. Im sorry about your having to deal with a robbery.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
somebody got a key from the desk and went into your room and stole stuff. does the hotel have a safe? you have an obligation to try to lock up your valuables. your daughter left the room locked but lots of cleaning people got access to rooms. their defense in court will be you did not use the hotel safe as required and even maybe your daughter stole the money. nasty stuff.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 PM

207 posts, read 705,007 times
To the original poster. I suggest you be the squeaky wheel and if you have to even get media coverage involved. I just don't see how a hotel can basically state "it was not our employees, so case closed." I would think that they would first have a duty to conduct an investigation and then provide to you what their investigation revealed. If it is an inside job (which it sounds like) then the person telling you the case is closed could be the one doing it. Therefore, I would do all I could to contact as many of the executive level managers as possible and let them know that you want to be made whole. I would also request that they provide you with the name of their liability (or whatever the applicable insurance is) carrier and I would try to make an insurance claim through the carrier if it is possible. I would do all of this in writing and if the company that owns the hotel is not willing to help you, then I would take all of your letters and their responses and POST THEM EVERYWHERE. I would send them to local newspaper and radio stations and everytime you send anything make sure you carbon copy the hotel or parent company so that they are aware that you are sending it to the various travel websites, travel agents, radio dj, news reporters, various online forums, heck I would even send it to Ms. O. Trust me, it may seem silly, but someone who reads it will take interest in your story.
I understand that as a hotel guests we have to be smart regarding our belongings. However, if it has been confirmed that a hotel key was used to get into your room, then the hotel has to take some responsibility. What if that person had come in there while your daughter was still there...This whole situation is deeply disturbing to me. My husband travels a lot and sometimes I join him and I know that I will never use this hotel. I understand that sometimes bad things happen to good companies. However, the issue I have is not just the bad act, but the actions taken by the company afterwards. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 PM

207 posts, read 705,007 times
Also, I have another point regarding the safe. What if your valuables are too big for the safe. I do not think that the hotel having a safe is a valid defense for the hotel. Furthermore, if this were to go to a court of law, do you really thing a Judge (who may travel often himself and can identify with this victim) or even a jury (who may see just another big company taking advantage of an everyday consumer by making them spend the money to sue them) would be sympathetic to the hotel.
Just because someone tells you that they do not have liability does not mean that it is true. That is decided by widely interpreted laws and subequent cases that may have set a new precedent. (sorry if there is misspellings, but it is 1:30am) I don't claim to know Atlanta state law, but I know a lot states go by the "duty owed, duty breached" which basically asks what duty was owed & what duty was breached...

Also, regarding keeping your tv & lights on, that is something that we were also told by various travel agents and in safety courses provided by employers.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
To the original poster. I suggest you be the squeaky wheel and if you have to even get media coverage involved.
Good idea, actually. The consumer reporters via channel 2 and 5 especially are really aggressive with hotels these days regarding special reports. They did one not long ago simply about how they don't wash glasses well in the places - they'd jump on one about rooms being robbed like flies on .. well...

Call channel 5 - they're the ones who did that one report. Then call the execs at the hotel chain and tell them you're about to get the media involved. They LOVE that.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
Well if you had known anythign about Atlanta you would know that this is one of the worst places in the city: South of Five points, or the "Government District" does have a lot of crime. When you leave your car in this area, even in a church, you should take all your valuables with you. A lot of parts of Atlanta wouldnt require this, but next to the capitol isnt one of them.
Our car was broken into in Buckhead It's all over in this town.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM

40 posts, read 144,146 times
I'm so sorry to hear that. That must be really awful, not just because of the cash but all the credit card cancellations and reordering of new license. I has my purse stolen in the city once and I know how much pain it causes. Wish you fast recovery.
Thank you for the warning.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Our car was broken into in Buckhead It's all over in this town.
Buckhead has been notorious for petty theft for years...after all, it's like asking why Jesse James robbed banks? 'Cause that's where the money was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta