Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 10:07 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Also the same reason that Charlie Brown, Dobbins, and Briscoe will never be commercial airports.
The area around Briscoe is not heavily developed, or dense at all. It's trees and a few supply warehouses:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9818.../data=!3m1!1e3

That area's like the least residential area of Gwinnett.

Yeah, I know it's a low likelihood, but I feel like they should revisit the idea of Briscoe becoming a small commercial airport once 316 as a freeway to Athens is fully complete. It's in a better location for it than Dobbins, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 10:48 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,536,606 times
Does anyone have a list of the most popular "regional" destinations from Hartsfield? Chattanooga? Charlotte? Augusta? Those-tier cities, the kind that would likely be served by these satellite airports if they became commercial?

Old 08-23-2022, 01:16 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Wouldn't Delta go nuts if somebody tried to start a second airport?

Old 08-23-2022, 08:19 PM

298 posts, read 272,111 times
This may have been mentioned but I think it was discussed to expand Gwinnett Co airport at one point. I think the biggest deterrent is the noise pollution.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:55 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,521,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The area around Briscoe is not heavily developed, or dense at all. It's trees and a few supply warehouses:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9818.../data=!3m1!1e3

That area's like the least residential area of Gwinnett.

Yeah, I know it's a low likelihood, but I feel like they should revisit the idea of Briscoe becoming a small commercial airport once 316 as a freeway to Athens is fully complete. It's in a better location for it than Dobbins, IMO.
I don’t know if Briscoe Field (which sits partly within the corporate limits of the City of Lawrenceville proper) may even be likely to remain operating over the long term because of how the City of Lawrenceville proper is trying to redevelop itself into a college town (built around Georgia Gwinnett College) with heavy appeal to people in their 20’s and 30’s.

I suspect that Briscoe Field potentially could eventually be redeveloped into some type of technology and industrial park with the way that both Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County seem to want to redevelop the area.

Briscoe Field is surrounded by too much existing development, has no room to expand and the west-southwest to east-northeast orientation of the runway takes the flight path over some existing residential areas, including to the east in Dacula, where much of the opposition to the commercialization and expansion of the airport came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
This may have been mentioned but I think it was discussed to expand Gwinnett Co airport at one point. I think the biggest deterrent is the noise pollution.
It was back around 2010-2011 when discussions to commercialize and expand Briscoe Field seemed to hit a fever pitch before the surrounding Lawrenceville/Dacula/Gwinnett County community successfully pushed back hard against the idea.

The desire to get Southwest Airlines into the Atlanta market were a big part of the driving force of the discussions to commercialize and expand Briscoe Field... Which was before Southwest finally got into the Atlanta market it had long coveted by acquiring AirTran in May 2011 and pretty much rendered airport expansion discussions outside of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport moot for the foreseeable future.

After Southwest got into the Atlanta market with its purchase of AirTran back in May 2011 and took the steam out of the discussions of expanding smaller Atlanta region airports, the erstwhile Briscoe Field expansion discussions also seemed to get tied up in the corruption allegations that involved some district commissioners on a previous version of the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:03 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,536,606 times
Briscoe field is NOT going to go away, not now, not for a very very very long time if ever. There are way too many fortune 500 and even fortune 100 companies that fly large private jets in and out of there. Just pull up ADSB one day and look at all the different planes. I don't think the airport will ever go commercial, but it's definitely not going anywhere.

Old 08-24-2022, 11:18 AM

166 posts, read 134,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I don’t know if Briscoe Field (which sits partly within the corporate limits of the City of Lawrenceville proper) may even be likely to remain operating over the long term because of how the City of Lawrenceville proper is trying to redevelop itself into a college town (built around Georgia Gwinnett College) with heavy appeal to people in their 20’s and 30’s.

I suspect that Briscoe Field potentially could eventually be redeveloped into some type of technology and industrial park with the way that both Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County seem to want to redevelop the area.

Briscoe Field is surrounded by too much existing development, has no room to expand and the west-southwest to east-northeast orientation of the runway takes the flight path over some existing residential areas, including to the east in Dacula, where much of the opposition to the commercialization and expansion of the airport came from.

It was back around 2010-2011 when discussions to commercialize and expand Briscoe Field seemed to hit a fever pitch before the surrounding Lawrenceville/Dacula/Gwinnett County community successfully pushed back hard against the idea.

The desire to get Southwest Airlines into the Atlanta market were a big part of the driving force of the discussions to commercialize and expand Briscoe Field... Which was before Southwest finally got into the Atlanta market it had long coveted by acquiring AirTran in May 2011 and pretty much rendered airport expansion discussions outside of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport moot for the foreseeable future.

After Southwest got into the Atlanta market with its purchase of AirTran back in May 2011 and took the steam out of the discussions of expanding smaller Atlanta region airports, the erstwhile Briscoe Field expansion discussions also seemed to get tied up in the corruption allegations that involved some district commissioners on a previous version of the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners.
I forgot about the Southwest aspect of this.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
Dobbins and Lawrenceville's Gwinnett County Airport would make sense. Of course, actually making it happen is another thing. If I had to guess, I'm guessing Gwinnett County Airport would win out (although the runway should be lengthened another 1000 feet or so, which would be doable). I could see a few discount carriers making use of the airport. If they can get Jet Blue in there, that would be fantastic! All hypothetical, of course.
back in the early 1990s, a study was commissioned to pick a site for a second airport. The committee proposed Gwinnett. Gwinnett said no thanks. If it could get done then when Gwinnett had half the population it has now, I fear there is no option other than Dobbins as its already of decent size and decent proximity.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:34 PM

166 posts, read 134,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
back in the early 1990s, a study was commissioned to pick a site for a second airport. The committee proposed Gwinnett. Gwinnett said no thanks. If it could get done then when Gwinnett had half the population it has now, I fear there is no option other than Dobbins as its already of decent size and decent proximity.
The area around Dobbins can't handle that.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,363,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms55 View Post
The area around Dobbins can't handle that.
Then farther out, like Cherokee County? Or northeastward to Chastain/Flowery Branch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta