Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Bill Gates: “We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten.”

I really do think MARTA rail expansion will be approved in next 10 years for north 75 and 400 corridors. Not active/built, mind you, but approved.
There was an ATT exec in the 90s that said something similar (sometime before he lost his job), "Change will come slower than we expect, but when it occurs it will be more profound than we can imagine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 PM

272 posts, read 271,902 times
Both city and state start to lose high end income because tech companies either abandon or decline to invest based on lack of infrastructure and desired walkability/lifestyles. Retiring boomers leave the state and millennial money fails to fully compensate. City and state panic and start to make much needed investment that's too late. Charlotte and Nashville overtake as more important tech hubs. Population growth flatlines and eventually starts to decline. Crime skyrockets. Atlanta slowly slides in all aspects of desirability.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Both city and state start to lose high end income because tech companies either abandon or decline to invest based on lack of infrastructure and desired walkability/lifestyles. Retiring boomers leave the state and millennial money fails to fully compensate. City and state panic and start to make much needed investment that's too late. Charlotte and Nashville overtake as more important tech hubs. Population growth flatlines and eventually starts to decline. Crime skyrockets. Atlanta slowly slides in all aspects of desirability.
Lol... Your comments seem to sound a lot more like personal wishes than predictions.

As for some of my own predictions for Atlanta in the 2020's...

> I predict that metro Atlanta will continue to be and grow as a mega-hub for television and film production activity that is second only to Los Angeles and Southern California.

I think that the opening and the operation of Tyler Perry's massive production studio in Southwest Atlanta will help keep metro Atlanta on and near the top of the TV/Film production industry, even with the significant concerns of outside investors over controversial political/cultural/social moves at the state level.

I think that the buzz that is generated by the opening, operation and growth of the Tyler Perry and the willingness of a massive figure like Tyler Perry himself to personally invest and spur others to invest large sums of investment capital likely helps offset a great deal of the trepidation by outside investors and talent who might otherwise be hesitant about doing business in metro Atlanta because of controversial political/social/cultural moves at the state level.

> I also think that the new Tyler Perry Studio facility will over the long-term help to generate increased economic activity in the part of Southwest Atlanta that is near the studio complex, particularly in the areas immediately around the Lakewood-Fort McPherson and Oakland City Transit stations.

> I also think that metro Atlanta's status as the largest hub of TV/Film production outside of Southern California (along with Atlanta's very centralized location relative to the Southeastern U.S. and the presence of a massive transportation facility like Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) will help Atlanta and North Georgia continue to recruit businesses and corporations to relocate their operations to the area, despite issues with and concerns about traffic congestion.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:16 PM

99 posts, read 117,054 times
Atlanta will continue to grow and will be among the top 5 growing Metros in the country. Atlanta will have competition from Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh but they are not truly the big 10 metros, these cities don't offer that big diverse metro area feel..Irrespective of competition Atlanta has enough momentum to keep growing- great Airport, Georgia Tech, CDC, FinTech, Movie/Film industry, Diverse population, great weather, reasonable cost of living..

Old 12-09-2019, 04:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Lol... Your comments seem to sound a lot more like personal wishes than predictions.

As for some of my own predictions for Atlanta in the 2020's...

> I predict that metro Atlanta will continue to be and grow as a mega-hub for television and film production activity that is second only to Los Angeles and Southern California.

I think that the opening and the operation of Tyler Perry's massive production studio in Southwest Atlanta will help keep metro Atlanta on and near the top of the TV/Film production industry, even with the significant concerns of outside investors over controversial political/cultural/social moves at the state level.

I think that the buzz that is generated by the opening, operation and growth of the Tyler Perry and the willingness of a massive figure like Tyler Perry himself to personally invest and spur others to invest large sums of investment capital likely helps offset a great deal of the trepidation by outside investors and talent who might otherwise be hesitant about doing business in metro Atlanta because of controversial political/social/cultural moves at the state level.

> I also think that the new Tyler Perry Studio facility will over the long-term help to generate increased economic activity in the part of Southwest Atlanta that is near the studio complex, particularly in the areas immediately around the Lakewood-Fort McPherson and Oakland City Transit stations.

> I also think that metro Atlanta's status as the largest hub of TV/Film production outside of Southern California (along with Atlanta's very centralized location relative to the Southeastern U.S. and the presence of a massive transportation facility like Hartsfield-Jackson Airport) will help Atlanta and North Georgia continue to recruit businesses and corporations to relocate their operations to the area, despite issues with and concerns about traffic congestion.
An anecdote about growth in older segments - I was speaking with an agent for a builder in North Fulton and Cherokee and she said that around 50% of their new sales now are to empty nesters. ~3000 sq ft master on main homes selling for $500-700K.

So not everyone is leaving after retiring or downsizing.

I also don’t see tech companies “abandoning” the Atlanta metro over the next 10 years.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:01 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
An anecdote about growth in older segments - I was speaking with an agent for a builder in North Fulton and Cherokee and she said that around 50% of their new sales now are to empty nesters. ~3000 sq ft master on main homes selling for $500-700K.

So not everyone is leaving after retiring or downsizing.
While Georgia has an income tax, it has considerably lower porperty taxes compared to zero-income tax states, which still makes it a competitive destination for retirees.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:33 AM

356 posts, read 317,002 times
I’ll add another: Explosive growth as a tech startup / entrepreneur hub.

The pieces are in place now, with all that’s happening at Tech Village and in Alpharetta. If the 2010s were the decade of film industry growth in Atlanta, I think the 2020s will be the decade of tech entrepreneur explosion.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
I’ll add another: Explosive growth as a tech startup / entrepreneur hub.

The pieces are in place now, with all that’s happening at Tech Village and in Alpharetta. If the 2010s were the decade of film industry growth in Atlanta, I think the 2020s will be the decade of tech entrepreneur explosion.
My fingers are crossed that this will happen. A lot of FinTech startups already, would be good to see it hit critical mass.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:16 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
So basically Atlanta will become like Detroit, while Charlotte and Nashville become like Chicago and MPLS?

Old 12-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Interesting graphic from the Brookings Institute - while not the highest growth like San Francisco or Boston, the Atlanta metro is one of the larger ones gaining in tech innovation. Most of the Northeast is losing these jobs.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lFZW...438613/Map.png

Last edited by Beretta; 12-09-2019 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: copyright infringement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta