Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 768 times

Advertisements

Like everyone in some form, times like these, has taken its toll mental health. Currently, I live in LaGrange, Georgia. I've been living here ever since I was 13. I feel unhappy and feel I haven't accomplished anything. I'm 29 years old sharing an apartment with my brother and majority of my family lives here and it can be disturbing at times.

I want to move to Atlanta, but I'm uncertain of where to start. My reason is personal (goal related). I've considered looking into the possibility of hotels or Airbnd during the duration of classes I want to attend that's once a week for 8 weeks in Buckhead. I'm uncertain where to start in the job market. My only experience is in warehouse and I'm open to a welcoming change from that. I was diagnosed with a health condition in 2019. I struggle with anxiety and depression.

I can't confide in anyone for advice and any is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 10:07 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
I think you may find Airbnb and hotels in the Buckhead area to be a little expensive. You're only 75 miles away so it would be drivable if you chose the time you came up I-85 into Atlanta area to commute 1x per week.

It would be nice to get some advice, but only you can research and find a profession that interests you. As always, Atlanta remains a place that's a great place to find jobs.

Only thing is that it's best to stay/live in the general direction of where the job is located because crossing the city at rush hour only heightens anxiety.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:28 PM

1,005 posts, read 730,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHooks View Post
Like everyone in some form, times like these, has taken its toll mental health. Currently, I live in LaGrange, Georgia. I've been living here ever since I was 13. I feel unhappy and feel I haven't accomplished anything. I'm 29 years old sharing an apartment with my brother and majority of my family lives here and it can be disturbing at times.

I want to move to Atlanta, but I'm uncertain of where to start. My reason is personal (goal related). I've considered looking into the possibility of hotels or Airbnd during the duration of classes I want to attend that's once a week for 8 weeks in Buckhead. I'm uncertain where to start in the job market. My only experience is in warehouse and I'm open to a welcoming change from that. I was diagnosed with a health condition in 2019. I struggle with anxiety and depression.

I can't confide in anyone for advice and any is greatly appreciated.
Airbnbing/hoteling sounds a bit expensive, plus it invites possible housing instability which might exacerbate your anxiety. I suggest renting a studio for a year if you have the income. If not, I recommend applying for some warehouse position ITP, getting the job, then renting a studio. Looks like there are some cute ones west of Midtown for about ~$900. If cost is a concern, my next suggestion is you rent a room in a home but vet your roommates as well as they would vet you–if you're super private and need space, know that there are other folk like you. The most simple but frustrating option is to stay home for the next two months and travel to this program, then move after completion and getting a job.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:06 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
I think you will do better driving to Atlanta once a week for your class. I suggest finding a roommate in LaGrange, it sounds like all those family members in your space is not a good environment, Atlanta will not solved the fear and depression issue.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:35 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,323 times
Let me tell you, as someone who lived in Carrollton and thought moving ITP would solve my depression and anxiety....it made it worse. Life in this disorganized, chaotic, sloppily-run city has worn me down into an agoraphobic husk of a person. Ok, I'm being a bit dramatic but my point is moving to Atlanta isn't a magic fix for your mental health, just keep that in mind.

But, if you're looking for short-term housing, I highly recommend local facebook groups. I run one for local women-for housing, job, friendship, anything opportunities. A lot of people rent out single rooms, that's what I did for my bachelorette pad for a few months in Decatur. I met some really cool new friends that way too.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:02 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
I will echo others, if money was tight, I would do the temporary commute vs. renting a place here.

I obviously don't know the ins and outs of your depression, but I am very well versed in the topic. I agree that moving alone won't solve it, and in the short term could make it worse. I would have a good support network and plan in place prior to the "move"

Old 08-16-2020, 08:38 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
That's tough. Maybe you can find an AirBnB for a week to see how you like that option of being here vs there.

Keep in mind that you may want to find something affordable and drive a little further. Traffic is starting to come back but is still not as bad as pre-pandemic.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta