Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 04:06 PM

8,300 posts, read 5,755,274 times

Advertisements

Only in Atlanta would a new Chick-Fil-A opening get so much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 04:23 PM

32,040 posts, read 36,939,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The Chick-fil-a vs Popeye's battle has been raging all over the country. Fast food and especially chicken sandwiches are important to Americans. In more than one sense they are the backbone of this country.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:24 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,992,284 times
Quote:
This is a big deal for that particular corner and neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:10 PM

356 posts, read 318,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
That Popeye's had been infamous for years! I used to go there when I lived in Midtown, and several experiences were just bizarre.

Does anyone remember the absolutely hysterical reviews of the place in Cliff Bosticks Grazing column in Creative Loafing? They were insanely funny.
I had bizarre encounters at that gas station! Some characters around there back in the day. Kind of uncomfortable actually, I was ready to get jumped the one time I went to that Popeyes. Guess it’s much different now.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Dunno, one opened where I grew up in the north and 3 family members separately told me. Seemed like local media was covering it and not just once.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:12 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,537,152 times
I still cannot get over the double line of cars waiting in line for 20-30 minutes to get their Chik-fil-a meals. It's that way all afternoon.

I understand they were so long to hit Manhattan, however lines there (in normal times) are incredibly long.

It's like the chain has unlimited potential--worldwide.

And what is the basis of their success? Better quality workers? Decent quality food? The hand of God?

I'd just like to see how many workers have had their college tuition paid by either The Company or Truett Cathy personally when he was alive. And how many college workers been offered a franchise for a relatively low initial investment?

Old 05-08-2020, 08:00 AM

In my opinion, they have nailed a niche of perception as “better fast food.” It’s tasty, not too expensive, and the employees are extremely friendly and polite. People that turn their nose up at McDonalds etc flock to Chick Fil A. And those drive thru lines move surprisingly fast. In some ways they are like Publix - it’s all about the experience. M

Agreed on the stories re: getting a franchise. It’s super hard and the franchisees don’t have as much upside potential for profits as a true franchise. They are really operators more than owners, only get 50% of profit. And Chick Fil A also gets 15% of sales before profit.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,646,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are there any other places where CFA and Popeye's are literally right next door to each other?

This should be quite the battle royale.
They are located next door to each other on Windy Hill Rd. and I-75.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:56 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,966,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
In my opinion, they have nailed a niche of perception as “better fast food.” It’s tasty, not too expensive, and the employees are extremely friendly and polite. People that turn their nose up at McDonalds etc flock to Chick Fil A. And those drive thru lines move surprisingly fast. In some ways they are like Publix - it’s all about the experience. M

Agreed on the stories re: getting a franchise. It’s super hard and the franchisees don’t have as much upside potential for profits as a true franchise. They are really operators more than owners, only get 50% of profit. And Chick Fil A also gets 15% of sales before profit.
Yep. They flirt that line with traditional fast food and fast casual. A lot of 'fast food' is actually really slow once you get more than 4 people in line.

They're starting to get more expensive, but tha'ts honestly everywhere. I hear a lot of people complain but I think they forget inflation exists and have an unrealistic expectation that fast food combo meals should all cost $5 still.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:45 AM

32,040 posts, read 36,939,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
They are located next door to each other on Windy Hill Rd. and I-75.
Can you tell who's winning up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta