Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 08:44 AM

16,713 posts, read 29,555,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
On the East side of the town, the Beltline is so popular as an exercise trial that I can't really believe a plan for light-rail.

On the West side of town, people living in new developments on the Beltline, in otherwise lightly supported areas of the city, would probably appreciate a light-rail that runs to a retail district and that reaches major transit locations.
It will be a travesty if the light-rail is not put place on the eastside BeltLine and the whole BeltLine.

The foundational reason for the BeltLine Concept is light rail/trolley transit. The parks and trails are additional benefits (which are easier to implement at first).

BeltLine Rail Now
https://beltlinerailnow.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It will be a travesty if the light-rail is not put place on the eastside BeltLine and the whole BeltLine.

The foundational reason for the BeltLine Concept is light rail/trolley transit. The parks and trails are additional benefits (which are easier to implement at first).

BeltLine Rail Now

THE ATLANTA BELTLINE VISION: DELAYED OR DERAILED?
https://beltlinerailnow.com/news/202...ed-or-derailed

Old 09-05-2021, 08:54 AM

711 posts, read 684,379 times
Quote:

BeltLine Rail Now
This. I remember when the Beltline was first announced that there was more emphasis on the rail transit aspect than the glorified sidewalk it's associated with now. I certainly thought with its previous use as a rail corridor that it wouldn't be so difficult to implement light rail, but here we are.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:

BeltLine Rail Now
Quote:
THE ATLANTA BELTLINE VISION: DELAYED OR DERAILED?
https://beltlinerailnow.com/news/202...ed-or-derailed
FAQs: BeltLine Rail Now
https://beltlinerailnow.com/faq

Old 09-05-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
This. I remember when the Beltline was first announced that there was more emphasis on the rail transit aspect than the glorified sidewalk it's associated with now. I certainly thought with its previous use as a rail corridor that it wouldn't be so difficult to implement light rail, but here we are.
Exactly. It is all about the rail and transit. The parks and trails were great benefits that came along with it. 20 years ago—the discussion was transit. They even use to have many maps of proposed transit stops.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:55 PM

1,212 posts, read 735,185 times
The popular Beltline exercise trail is from Dekalb Ave to Monroe Dr. And the area is already developed at a supported level.

I was surprised to find a development at Madison Yards. Of course there's one, or possibly two, loft buildings that already existed. And a previous Glenwood Park development is just across the highway.

There is a very small development at Boulevard and at the Beltline.

Near West End, Murphy Ave certainly has the space for a large development. It would probably be apartments with a government program of rent according to income. Also, Metropolitan Ave has large spaces.

I like Armour Dr and Ottley Dr as a site for development. Of course the Beltline would need to be extended over the existing railroad tracks. Personally, I like pedestrian bridges constructed from 304L.

Last edited by T Block; 09-05-2021 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Well, my suggestion for infill housing around the Beltline and on the West side of town would be 2-story 2-bedroom fee-simple townhouses with concrete fire-walls between the units. Each townhouse would have a front door and a back door and no other unit above or below. The townhouses would be just like houses except that the space between houses would be a poured concrete wall.

Now, no one wants to live on top of a retail development. And no one wants to buy a condo that's built like an ordinary garden-apartment. Also, the point of light-rail is that it gets the residents to a retail district. They don't have to live at the retail district.

Of course on the East side of town they are building extremely-large and extremely-expensive three-story townhouses not including roof deck. This type of townhouse uses the rear-half of the ground-level as a garage but the residents are going to burn down their houses with battery-charging of electric-vehicles.

There is another townhouse design that has a ten-foot space between fee-simple units so that the front-half of the space is courtyard for one unit while the rear-half of the space is courtyard for the next unit.

Last edited by T Block; 09-07-2021 at 01:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 03:33 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Rail projects in the US are multi-generational undertakings nowadays. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't be done but it's probably not realistic to plan on riding within our own lifetimes.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:27 PM

I'm looking at the Beltline from the west-most point of University Ave to Hall & Donnelly in West End. With a google street-view, there are a few local joggers, one family sitting on a park bench at roadside, and an urban backpacker. Of course the Beltline goes under Highway 29 and the railroads and Murphy Ave. Then it runs at the backs of warehouses converted to nightclub breweries.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7292...7i16384!8i8192

Before this section the Beltline goes under Interstates 75/85.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
I'm looking at the Beltline from the west-most point of University Ave to Hall & Donnelly in West End. With a google street-view, there are a few local joggers, one family sitting on a park bench at roadside, and an urban backpacker. Of course the Beltline goes under Highway 29 and the railroads and Murphy Ave. Then it runs at the backs of warehouses converted to nightclub breweries.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7292...7i16384!8i8192

Before this section the Beltline goes under Interstates 75/85.
When is the rail going in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta