Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,321,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
What does "we're giving our truth" even supposed to mean?

Either something is true based on the facts or it's not.
"We're being asked to stand in front lines where people are throwing rocks and bottles and fireworks at us," an officer said. "And we're told we can't arrest people who are committing aggravated assault on us. So we're supposed to stand there and be abused."
The officers that we talked to said that these days, when it comes to the court of public opinion, no officer stands a chance, even if the use of force is justified.

Assuming you believe this to be true based upon the facts, these people should be arrested. Yet KLB and council members seem to be spinning the narrative that’s it’s all peaceful save a couple of misguided individuals.

Both statements can’t be true.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:40 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,744,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
...Assuming you believe this to be true based upon the facts...
The bolded is my point exactly.

An assumption or belief isn't necessarily true, so saying "we're giving our truth" makes no sense.

Now, they may very well hold their own opinion(s) and they're certainly entitled to them, but as we all know, opinions aren't always factual.

If they're going into this thinking how they feel is the "truth," then that's the root cause of the problem with the police and their relationship in the community.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
The bolded is my point exactly.

An assumption or belief isn't necessarily true, so saying "we're giving our truth" makes no sense.

Now, they may very well hold their own opinion(s) and they're certainly entitled to them, but as we all know, opinions aren't always factual.

If they're going into this thinking how they feel is the "truth," then that's the root cause of the problem with the police and their relationship in the community.
I could very easily flip your statement and reflect the “truths” that the community stipulates. For example, all the statements made by the mayor, DA, community, etc. about the police, about the Brooks killing, etc.

Many opinions. Few clear facts. Some clear untruths.

But I don’t disagree that perhaps they should have said “we’re giving our perspective” instead of “truth”.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:58 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,744,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I could very easily flip your statement and reflect the “truths” that the community stipulates. For example, all the statements made by the mayor, DA, community, etc. about the police, about the Brooks killing, etc.
This thread is about the police's statement, which is what I'm focused on.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
This thread is about the police's statement, which is what I'm focused on.
I see, so you look at that in a vacuum despite their response being all about how they’ve been treated by the other parties I mentioned.

“Channel 2′s Michael Seiden spent hours talking to 21 officers with the Atlanta Police Department about why they don’t feel like they can do their jobs properly in the wake of protests against police brutality -- and the death of Rayshard Brooks at the hands of an APD officer.

Never mind, carry on. I’ll opt out of this thread to not detract from your narrative.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,729,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
At this point they need to just exterminate these lowlifes like roaches.

You dont have to use racial coded words to get your point across.

Disgusting.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:00 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,360,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Disgusting.
Odd you would say that considering the Wendy’s site was infiltrated by racist and racism only letting certain people through the barricades based on race.

Quote:
Black motorists went through. White drivers had to U-turn.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opini...JyrVKT50lo9YN/

Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 AM

571 posts, read 348,758 times
Listening to the interviews and reading the article, all you get from the APD is a woe is me response, laying all blame on everyone but police. Even Fulton DA Paul Howard, who I really don't like, mentioned taking some ownership and then coming to the table for discussion on how the police and the community move forward. If your response is to take your ball and go home and cry to your momma about the mean kids in the street, when you helped make them treat you that way, no one wants to hear that.

Here is the thing, isolate out all the rock throwing, screaming agitators rioting in the streets from the community. They are not the community and they need to be dealt with in an appropriate manner. The community doesn't want to defund you, they want more of you. Twitter, certain politicians and activist are not the community, they just get all the attention in an effort to play one side against the other for votes, views or ratings. The actual community wants to see you just patrolling the neighborhood, they want to see you walking it, interacting with it when nothing bad is going on, maybe even living in it. They know the job is hard and what you are up against. They have to live in it, while all you have to do is work it. Leaving them to fend for themselves will not make them love and appreciate you, only despise you.

The streets are hot right now though, and you want to come out swinging on everyone protesting, turning the heat up even more. So when a Rayshard Brooks happens, no one wants to cut you any slack, but the heat will pass. It's what you do in response to change how you police and how you are connected to the community that will determine the future. For all their faults and missteps, Rayshard Brooks, George Floyd, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Freddie Gray, Walter Scott, Anthony Hill, Laquan McDonald, etc...were children of the community. Just because 95% of police do an admirable job policing, we can't overlook the 5% who even if they don't kill, still brutalize and terrorize the community. When you let the 5% stay and protect them behind the thin blue line, the community will eventually reduce you to being no better the worst amongst you. Kind of the same way that they 5% of police sees the community. (percentages are not accurate, used just to make the point)

Old 07-11-2020, 01:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 12,124,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Disgusting.
It has nothing to do with race. It has to do with the thug population. Granted the majority of them happen to be African-American because this is Atlanta, but the majority of African-Americans in Atlanta are decent human beings that are doing the right thing so I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the people who commit acts of violence including murder that the police can't seem to stop now. Now I don't condone the killing of God's children but sometimes it's necessary like in a time of war, and this technically is a war, against local terrorists.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:56 PM

11,880 posts, read 8,127,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It has nothing to do with race. It has to do with the thug population. Granted the majority of them happen to be African-American because this is Atlanta, but the majority of African-Americans in Atlanta are decent human beings that are doing the right thing so I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the people who commit acts of violence including murder that the police can't seem to stop now. Now I don't condone the killing of God's children but sometimes it's necessary like in a time of war, and this technically is a war, against local terrorists.
Its about time someone actually see's this for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: