Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 05:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Say what you will about her past associations, but KLM is doing a damn good job this week on the national stage highlighting the ineptitude of Kemp and by extension Trump on dealing with the Coronavirus, you know the thing that is leading both local and national news nightly and only getting worse. It is what will matter come November, and she is effectively highlighting that neither one of them came equipped for the job when a crisis hit. At this rate Biden can choose a ham sandwich as his running mate and not worry about it. Even if she is selected as his VP choice, the Covid-19 crisis and her response along with the other Georgia mayors, juxtaposed to Kemp's ineptitude is quickly putting the mistakes of June in the rearview. In a state that shifting towards blue, I still see a bright future for KLM regardless.

It's also very hard to hold someone accountable for past associations when the current top of the ticket on the other side has surrounded himself with crooks, many now convicted felons.
I haven’t seen her in the news, but if she’s on MSNBC or CNN I don’t watch their evening shows. I do watch HLN in the morning but haven’t seen her.

Speaking against Kemp isn’t going to accomplish anything. Just as Kemp is being an idiot by now explicitly saying mayors can’t ban masks.

To your point about Biden choosing a ham sandwich I think you’re 100% wrong. Biden has effectively been in hiding for the past 4 months, so he gets a huge boost by being invisible. If he starts speaking publicly and selects a poor VP candidate many will just stay home. The one thing Trump has going for him is a solid base that will vote for him no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:11 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
Let's not overstate the importance of being Mayor of Atlanta.

Atlanta is a rather medium size 506K people, and it's physically small at 136 square miles.

The City of Atlanta is surrounded by as many as 120 cities with a total of 6 million citizens. ATLANTA IS ONLY 8% OF METRO ATLANTA IN POPULATION.

Being a County Mayor in many counties Metro Atlanta is a much bigger job than being Mayor of Atlanta. But there again, there's a lot less drama in the counties than there is in The City.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:29 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Well why all the lawsuits since he is "just a brand"?

People sue landlords or people who own property all the time. Seems like you don't understand business.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:37 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Say what you will about her past associations, but KLM is doing a damn good job this week on the national stage highlighting the ineptitude of Kemp and by extension Trump on dealing with the Coronavirus, you know the thing that is leading both local and national news nightly and only getting worse. It is what will matter come November, and she is effectively highlighting that neither one of them came equipped for the job when a crisis hit. At this rate Biden can choose a ham sandwich as his running mate and not worry about it. Even if she is selected as his VP choice, the Covid-19 crisis and her response along with the other Georgia mayors, juxtaposed to Kemp's ineptitude is quickly putting the mistakes of June in the rearview. In a state that shifting towards blue, I still see a bright future for KLM regardless.

It's also very hard to hold someone accountable for past associations when the current top of the ticket on the other side has surrounded himself with crooks, many now convicted felons.

You say Kemp is inept yet he isn't the one that caught Covid-19 and went to a press conference and took a mask off possibly exposing 20 other people to the virus. You call that a good response? It's like you ignore the current FBI investigation at city hall that has already resulted in people pleading guilty to felonies with more to come. Atlanta city hall has produced more felons over the years than any entity in the state. It's ripe with corruption and abuse which is why the FBI has been camped out there for almost 2 years with no end in sight.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

Being a County Mayor in many counties Metro Atlanta is a much bigger job than being Mayor of Atlanta. But there again, there's a lot less drama in the counties than there is in The City.
"County Mayors" don't exist (unless you're referring to the DeKalb CEO) and the County Commission chairs have far less power compared to a CoA mayor.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:55 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
But there again, there's a lot less drama in the counties than there is in The City.
There's been plenty of drama in county government.

Just a couple of examples.

Commissioner Kenerly indicted by Gwinnett grand jury

Former Gwinnett Commissioner Shirley Lasseter released from federal prison to halfway house

Old 07-16-2020, 11:19 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
He has had 6 business bankruptcies. Out of hundreds of companies. The good and bad about Trump is he puts his name on everything - so if it’s a Trump property that goes bankrupt you know who is at the top.

I think deep down KLB does mean well, meaning that she has good intentions and wants good things for Atlanta. I don’t recall calling her self-serving, but I do believe like most politicians she seeks more power and influence. I thought fairly highly of her prior to the Brooks debacle, but she handled it extremely poorly and shows she is nowhere ready to be VP. She’s about as ready as Jacob Frey is.

I hear you regarding ATL but have you traveled around the world? ATL is at best a regional leader. And KLB is called upon in the news because of the issues she is partly responsible for, not because it’s natural to call on Atlanta’s mayor.
I have lived in 6 countries and traveled in more than tipple that. I also have lived in several states in the US.
My circle of people I am friends with are about 70 international.I know why they are here and Ive also seen the list of international immigrants ranking that live in Atlanta .Its high in many nationalities and surprises many.That shows a very international connection beyond regional.
Especially with having one of the most international companies with North America headquarters in Atlanta

US cities being spread out are gauged differently as they have higher gdps and often in most cases that gdp is concentrated in the center in their primary centers than the metro.

Its not just the bankrutcies. Even his current companies pre COVID were loosing money. The ones he actually owns.
Also the ridiculous number of lawsuits and that hole obvious
Trumps mishandling of theis virus is a bigger threat than anything KLB is doing

Old 07-16-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Let's not overstate the importance of being Mayor of Atlanta.

Atlanta is a rather medium size 506K people, and it's physically small at 136 square miles.

The City of Atlanta is surrounded by as many as 120 cities with a total of 6 million citizens. ATLANTA IS ONLY 8% OF METRO ATLANTA IN POPULATION.

Hogwash
Gwinnet county alone has been hit with crooked politicians left and right for years.
The fact that people who dont even live in Atlanta or commenting in this Atlanta thread ends this debate.

Stone Mountain is the ONLY attraction that can rival any attraction in downtown Atlanta.

Most people cant even name a county manager or city council chairman outside of their own country(no such things as a county mayor)
I want you to name such county so we can examine the validity of your statement. Considering that the city fo Atlanta has a departments like water, Parks and recreation,MARTA,Hartsfield-Jackson etc

Old 07-16-2020, 11:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I have lived in 6 countries and traveled in more than tipple that. I also have lived in several states in the US.
My circle of people I am friends with are about 70 international.I know why they are here and Ive also seen the list of international immigrants ranking that live in Atlanta .Its high in many nationalities and surprises many.That shows a very international connection beyond regional.
Especially with having one of the most international companies with North America headquarters in Atlanta

US cities being spread out are gauged differently as they have higher gdps and often in most cases that gdp is concentrated in the center in their primary centers than the metro.

Its not just the bankrutcies. Even his current companies pre COVID were loosing money. The ones he actually owns.
Also the ridiculous number of lawsuits and that hole obvious
Trumps mishandling of theis virus is a bigger threat than anything KLB is doing
Thanks for sharing. Too often I see people who have never lived (or worse, even visited) elsewhere make global comments. I'm roughly in your ball park - lived in 3 countries, 4 states and visited 50+ countries. Still haven't made it to Antarctica yet though...

I do agree that Atlanta has a higher international recognition factor (especially as we were an Olympic city) than other cities which might be larger in population but overshadowed by larger cities elsewhere in their state.

I don't disagree with you about the federal government's response to the virus. But think about this - if that's the bar that is set, the only direction is up. Why wouldn't Biden get the absolute dream team set up, make the election a slam dunk and get us out of the gate in early January ready to fix everything? I don't see KLB being part of that. Nor Stacey Abrams nor any other local politician for that matter. Just as I wouldn't see Kemp doing anything for Trump if he won re-election. All of our leaders in Georgia are quite honestly meh. That includes my Representative (Lucy McBath) as well as our 2 Senators.

Maybe Biden is doing all of this, at least covertly right now. The less he is seen the better he will poll, because even his supporters have to admit he's extremely gaffe prone. At some point he will have to debate Trump and given what I've seen of Biden over the years he will really have to be on his game as well as curb his tongue. He needs to be like he was referred to here back in March -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-donald-trump/

Unlike many here I still have not made up my mind yet. But if Biden picks someone solely due to demographics and not experience and accomplishments it will not influence me positively. But I'd love to see a series of great debates and then decide based upon who I feel will be the best leader for the next 4 years. Both candidates now have a record to be measured by.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
lmao....he's not picking her, she's a joke

Trump has more than 500 businesses, if only 6 went bankrupt, that's a very impressive statistic.
America handling COVID under Trump is a joke and its embarrassing.
Talk to anyone outside of the US and they will tell you.

If you think having this many lawsuits from everything to criminal to ethical.then you have very low standards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...g_Donald_Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta