Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,011 times

Advertisements

He made similar comments on another thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
He made similar comments on another thread...
You know, P, I live in town and love living here...I have a sister and brother OTP that love it there, and though I wouldn't live there on a dare, I respect the fact that they do like it there. So I would never make grand pronouncements like some people do on this forum about the 'way life is' in a certain area of town is when I have never lived there myself.
There, I feel better.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM

What about those of us who have lived both ITP and OTP? Can we make grand pronouncements?

Just kidding. I agree with you. Like I told Rob on the other thread...I live intown for a better quality of life, just like why he lives extown...

But I do get tired of the "no good schools, no good family neighborhoods" mantra from extowners.

Just to illustrate how little he actually knows what he's talking about...he coyly suggested I live in an enclave of 50 homes in the city, calling it a good neighborhood. Too funny!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 PM

32 posts, read 96,893 times
You guys seriously live in Decatur?

Ok, question. How safe would you feel driving from a Braves game to home at say 11:30PM on a Saturday?

I could safely WALK from GA400 exit 13 (141 - Peachtree Parkway) about 20 miles south at that hour, no problem whatsoever. And I would pass an infinite number of excellent restaurants, shops, excellent schools, parks, etc., etc.

What would you pass? About 200 bums living under a bridge? Then an infinite number of extremely dangerous apartments and row homes...as you sped up, locked your doors and stared straight ahead and hoped for green lights?

NO THANKS.

If people didn't need to work ITP, nobody would live down there. Except.....

RM

Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Rob...stop. You don't know what you're talking about.

I live in Atlanta, not Decatur, in the Candler Park neighborhood. I walk to work (CDC) or bike. I walk or bike with my husband and son to his soccer games. I walk or bike to the grocery store and places to eat. If I want to have a girls night out my girlfriends park at my house and we WALK to the bars. And then we walk home.

Braves games? I take MARTA.

As far as this statement goes: " If people didn't need to work ITP, nobody would live down there."

That's the statement that really shows you don't know what you're talking about. If that statement is true then why do homes START at 300K+? Uh...because of location, location, location.

You're obviously happy where you live. That's great...but I'd bet the farm you couldn't find an intowner who'd PREFER to live there.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 PM

It's a way of life, I inderstand that.

I'm sure there are a few safe havens ITP. I would rather live in Vickery in Forsyth County and pretend I'm downtown. LOL.

My statements above are from real experience of coming out of many many late night games with my kids and trying to get onto 75/85 North to hit GA400. My 7yo daughter was in tears one evening as a couple of really scary derelicts ran up and down the line of cars (OTPers) harassing everyone at the light. Joy.

Coming from Turner Field, we actually are routed by a huge overpass with a bum community living under it. We are also sent down a long narrow road leading up to a right turn light. All along that road are said apartments.

I'm a RE Agent and I concentrate on the northern counties, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Cobb, Cherokee, N Fulton. But like any agent, I've been pulled down your way and have in fact taken clients into your neighborhood.

Sure, when you get in there it's all good, but don't stray either direction more than a few blocks. And don't ever run out of gas or have a break down before you are in your safe zone. Personally, I don't need that for myself or my family.

But it's a way of life and I'm sure you and all your neighbors love it and love being so close to work as well.

I work from home, so no worries.

RM

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphan View Post
I've been reading the threads around tearing down houses - it's an idea we are considering - but don't want the neighbors upset at us for "ruining" the neighborhood. We have the same issue going in some parts of Seattle - huge homes being built next to small ramblers. Neither home looks right in the neighborhood.
Yeah, it's good to think twice about that. "Infill housing" as it's called here has in the last couple of years been a huge controversy causing lots of debates in many neighborhoods.

Some new rules are being drawn up by the city regarding it, too. If you have some time read this article: Atlanta City Council approves limits on “McMansions” - marynorwood.org

Might be best to just look for a new home that's already built. ;-)

Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 AM

Why don't you just try and help her out then instead of hatin' on "another OTP'er"

As if she even knows what that dumb acronym means..

Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccance View Post
Why don't you just try and help her out then instead of hatin' on "another OTP'er"

As if she even knows what that dumb acronym means..
We didn't pick this fight...you did with your sweeping generalizations about 'life intown'.
Oh, and by the way I live in D E C A T U R, not downtown Atlanta...no bums, no trash, no crime...sorry to disappoint.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphan View Post
short commute and have good schools (specifically City of Decatur?) I'm looking for info on what areas might be within a decent commute? Alpharetta seems too far out - would Dunwoody or Sandy Springs be a tough commute? Also - our kids all play premier level soccer - any info on the soccer clubs/teams in the area would be greatly appreciated!
Why not the City of Decatur? Your husband can take Clairmont Road to Century Parkway and avoid the interstate.

Here is a link on the City of Decatur: City of Decatur, GA

City of Decatur schools: City Schools of Decatur

Map of the City of Decatur schools: City Schools of Decatur

I'm not terribly sure of the three car garage option even on newer construction in the City of Decatur. Perhaps you could speak to one of our builders that we represent in the City of Decatur about that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta