Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2020, 05:31 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times

Advertisements

It looks like Fayette County's insistence on not just rubber stamping any type of job creation / industrial development is paying off.

This is the type of growth that communities South of Atlanta need more of.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

A 1.5 million sq. ft. "data center campus" will be built on the initial 122 acres and the developer has the option to expand the project another 60 acres. The site is located just south of Pinewood Studios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 12:36 PM

81 posts, read 119,465 times
I am kind of surprised that a data center would build there. Normally I would think somewhere north of Atlanta. A few years ago, I heard about a fitness center was going to build there. Anyway, it's good to hear that because it creates jobs for the surrounding areas.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nld09 View Post
I am kind of surprised that a data center would build there. Normally I would think somewhere north of Atlanta. A few years ago, I heard about a fitness center was going to build there. Anyway, it's good to hear that because it creates jobs for the surrounding areas.
It's the same reason Facebook chose Newton County for their data center.

They don't create a ton of jobs, so access to a large supply of talent isn't a requirement. All they need is a ton of cheap land, which is increasingly limited and at a premium North of Atlanta.

That said, for a couple reasons, data centers are great projects to score in communities that are otherwise ignored by companies for capital investment.

1. The few jobs they do create (typically a few hundred) are very high paying because of the technical work involved and thus will be filled by highly-skilled workers.

This does create a feedback loop as the labor pool is expanding with more highly-skilled workers that companies will be increasingly more attracted to. Not to mention, these highly-paid workers will have a ton of disposable income to spend on goods / services (thus making the local area more attractive to a variety of stores / restaurants for expansion) and they are more likely to be able to afford homes, thus contributing in property tax revenue.

2. They don't produce a ton of pollution, wear & tear on roads and heavy traffic like semi-trucks do from distribution centers.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:55 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
“The city is also hopeful Pinewood Studios would use the data center, due to its proximity to the future campus.”

With the need to store and process digital video and special effects it could be a good match.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:23 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's the same reason Facebook chose Newton County for their data center.

They don't create a ton of jobs, so access to a large supply of talent isn't a requirement. All they need is a ton of cheap land, which is increasingly limited and at a premium North of Atlanta.

That said, for a couple reasons, data centers are great projects to score in communities that are otherwise ignored by companies for capital investment.

1. The few jobs they do create (typically a few hundred) are very high paying because of the technical work involved and thus will be filled by highly-skilled workers.

This does create a feedback loop as the labor pool is expanding with more highly-skilled workers that companies will be increasingly more attracted to. Not to mention, these highly-paid workers will have a ton of disposable income to spend on goods / services (thus making the local area more attractive to a variety of stores / restaurants for expansion) and they are more likely to be able to afford homes, thus contributing in property tax revenue.

2. They don't produce a ton of pollution, wear & tear on roads and heavy traffic like semi-trucks do from distribution centers.
For these same reasons I'm surprised they chose Fayette.

I would have figured a location, like Newton or Douglas, would be more affordable and in Fayette more money could be made from the development of houses, etc...

Still should be good for the property tax digest of Fayette County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta