Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 04:47 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Its more of an affirmation that they are here to stay by adding more jobs as well as just traffic to an area lacking but has seen an increase in the last few years.About 300-500 people already work there.
Sure, I get that. It's nice and all that they're investing more capital into their HQ,

It was the "Great Win for the South Metro" comment made earlier that I took issue with, as it's not really a game-changing or earth-shattering development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 06:55 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
I wonder if it will have a 959 on display? I would love to see one again after having seen one at what was then a tiny Porsche Museum in Stuttgart back in the early ‘90’s. I look forward to experiencing this new center picking up a new 911 sometime this decade, hopefully after driving it off the line in Germany, and tooling about in Baden-Wuerttemburg for a bit. I’m an Atlanta native, and have worked with the Goethe-Institute there before, and see this as a big win for the region. I guess that’s called a “Fan-Boy” these days...as I oh so enthusiastically install new booster seats in my Volvo for my young kids... I’m trying to convince my wife that a 2+2 with munchkins in back is just as good... they’ll stay short for a while (longer given their genes).

Old 09-24-2020, 10:57 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Sure, I get that. It's nice and all that they're investing more capital into their HQ,

It was the "Great Win for the South Metro" comment made earlier that I took issue with, as it's not really a game-changing or earth-shattering development.
No not that but the original move there from the Northside a few years ago was and is a game changer as more interest is slowly trickling in. Their headquarters is within a development as you know called Aerotropolis.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
No not that but the original move there from the Northside a few years ago was and is a game changer as more interest is slowly trickling in. Their headquarters is within a development as you know called Aerotropolis.
The HQ itself relocating to the old site of the Ford Assembly Plant a few years ago was definitely a big deal. I agree with that.

And if/when another HQ relocates to the South Metro, that will also be a big deal.

The expansion of Porsche's existing HQ to only include a repair and detail shop is *NOT* a big deal, IMO.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:58 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Nor, none with the pay and benefits will likely bring to 'those' kinds of jobs. I'm sure you didn't mean to look down your nose at folks who work in the auto repair and detail industry, right?
Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding the article, this is just going to be a gigantic repair and detail shop.

Certainly nothing to do back flips over. The South Metro already has plenty of these (though none maybe as large or specific to the Porsche brand), nor are they huge job creators.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:04 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
These are direct quotes from the article:

"...The Porsche Service Center South Atlanta will be a 20,815 square foot facility on 2.5 acres of land. It will include 13 lift bays to service customer vehicles, a Porsche Driver’s Selection boutique, as well as a reception area and waiting lounge for customers. The expected completion date for the service center is the third quarter of 2021..."

"...the project will include construction of the Porsche Service Center South Atlanta, followed by a Porsche Classic Factory Restoration facility..."

So again, sounds like glorifed repair and detail shops to me, while the rest of the acreage will simply be used for expansion of the existing test track.

What exactly did I misunderstand?
The restoration facility is already there, I've seen it! The property will encompass about 60 acres, the service center is using 2.5......less than 5% of the land.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Mercedes Benz doesn't need a test track of a customer experience.

Porsche is more of a low-value high-value dealer, but they need to provide more to justify/sell their value.

They have successfully increased sales by selling a cheaper crossover, the Macan, that lets them sell their name to a mid-tier market without cannibalizing the sales of their traditional product. They only sell about 60,000 cars/year in North America and 2/3 of that is their cheaper, relatively speaking, Cayenne and Macan.

Mercedes Benz sells about 350,000 cars in the US per year. But much of what MB selling are base models that are $15k-$20k less than Porche's cheaper cars for the masses.

One might argue the new GA400 HOT lanes will be the typical Mercedes Benz Customer Experience track....
Maybe but Mercedes AMG cars have a similar volume to Porsche (I believe around 35,000 - 45,000) cars per year in the US. Those owners would sure love for a proper track to drive around similar to the BMW M cars.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Maybe but Mercedes AMG cars have a similar volume to Porsche (I believe around 35,000 - 45,000) cars per year in the US. Those owners would sure love for a proper track to drive around similar to the BMW M cars.
Regardless of what they may want, the sales premium isn't quite on the same level.

Mercedes Benz is selling closer to 300,000 cars/year in the USA alone and their cars run cheaper. They are definitely higher-volume and lower-price relative to Porsche. Compared to Nissan, it would be the opposite.

Porsche has increased their sales and lowered their average amount of sale by offering the Cayenne and the Macan. It has been a good move for them as it doesn't dilute their brand or cannibalize sales for their core product by only lowering the performance on cross-over SUVs.

Outside the Macan and Cayenne, Porsche is catering more to a higher tier customer expecting performance. I'd argue even those buying the Macan are paying a small premium for the name, relative to a comparable competitor like MB.

Mercedes Benz has more of a target market in the $40-$60k and sells a high volume of cars that aren't performance cars, but are intended as everyday luxury sedans. MB has cars, like the SL and the GT, that come close to competing with Porsche, but they only sell a couple thousand units each year and even then the comparable Porsche is more expensive and they sell more units. Porsche sells nearly 10,000 911's/year. I'm sure internally MB has ways to better cater to those a few thousand customers.

Porsche has about 1/3 of their sales going close to six-figures or more. That's why they are catering the experience and factory reconditioning, the latter I'm sure they charge a pretty-penny for. They have about 20,000 customers/year making up the core of their revenue, but to get the high-end... you have to cater to the high-end.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The HQ itself relocating to the old site of the Ford Assembly Plant a few years ago was definitely a big deal. I agree with that.

And if/when another HQ relocates to the South Metro, that will also be a big deal.

The expansion of Porsche's existing HQ to only include a repair and detail shop is *NOT* a big deal, IMO.
Well in addition to a 5 star hotel.There are other companies like Delta and Chick Fil A with headquarters on the SOuthside as well

Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Nor, none with the pay and benefits will likely bring to 'those' kinds of jobs. I'm sure you didn't mean to look down your nose at folks who work in the auto repair and detail industry, right?
We spend so much time on these boards talking about STEM type jobs. Every place cant be Alpharetta ,Sandy Springs or Johns Creek.
Many who live in those areas barely have saving because the cost of living is so high.Its affordable there are is a considerable amount of good paying blue collar jobs as well other jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta